Improving engine performance?

phandel

:
None
Now with the birth of our third (woo hoo!), I'm starting to consider joining the minivan club :)

The two things I really like are technology and performance. It seems that the tech can be solved by adding an aftermarket stereo (like maybe the Pioneer AVH-4000NEX with CarPlay) and a push-button starter, but the engine performance might be a bit more difficult, especially coming from an E46 BMW M3.

Has anyone been able to wrestle out some more hp from the Mazda5?
- Saw a post about a Dynotronics Tuning flash
- Car and Driver swapped out a MazdaSpeed engine, and got 110 more hp - crazy!

Finally, how do you think repair / parts will go, if Mazda is indeed dropping the 5 for 2015?

-With 3 kids , Mazda 5 would be the last car I would buy. All those car seats, strollers.

Dude, by the time the 3rd kid comes, parents have wised up. The stroller only comes down for trips to Disneyland. No more packing more unused kid garbage around like a homeless person's shopping cart. If it doesn't fit in the diaper bag, it stays home.

OP, congrats on the growing family. If you like small and efficient, you may like a Mazda5. But you really can't think like all the other people out there that seem to believe they need 2 acres of space for each kid.

Dude, by the time the 3rd kid comes, parents have wised up. The stroller only comes down for trips to Disneyland. No more packing more unused kid garbage around like a homeless person's shopping cart. If it doesn't fit in the diaper bag, it stays home.

OP, congrats on the growing family. If you like small and efficient, you may like a Mazda5. But you really can't think like all the other people out there that seem to believe they need 2 acres of space for each kid.
Amen brother!

hehe I just got my wife a Honda Odyssey yesterday - a Mazda5 would be my DD, unless I bite the bullet and get my BMW E46 M3 cats replaced so I can pass smog here in CA :-(

I'm surprised how well all 5 of us fit in the M3 - mine is probably the only one in the world with 3 car seats in the back!

Replacing cats is a lot cheaper than buying a new vehicle.

Parts availability doesn't become difficult the year after a model is discontinued - more like 20 years.

The mz5 is probably not the best vehicle for convenience with 3 kids, if convenience is what you want when considering selling your M3 and getting a mz5. If your wife has a minivan that carries the kids most of the time, and you just need to be able to carry them in isolated instances, well, you just said that you have 3 car seats in your M3, right?

But the mz5 is the most fun to drive minivan out there, no arguing that.

Read my turbo thread, also the thread titled "a tune?" for stuff regarding flash tuning the stock ECU for more power.
Do some research and know that swapping in a DISI engine from a speed3 is not as easy as it sounds (the C&D mz5 you referenced never ran right)

Last edited:

Obviously I like fun and small cars, so i am on this site.

I didn't know the age of their kids. Some people have triplets. He could have 1, 2, 3, year old. In which case stroller etc is necessary.

If I had a third kid (god help me), and I could keep the 5, I would as long as I could, that is for sure.

CA has too many shops that pass smog with cash only. LOL.

OP-do you have any pics of 3 across car seat in the rear?

So long as you can pass tailpipe and obd, then it shouldn't be difficult and shouldn't cost more or only a little more.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Back