Hitch - Anti Rattle devices

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
I'm getting a some rattling with with my empty carrier in receiver so going to try one of these anti-rattle devices. It seems to have good reviews. If it works well enough I may need to paint it black. I know there are lot of these out there but this one seemed quicker to put on & off that some of the other ones.

Hitch-Vise™ Anti-Rattle Clamp
http://www.hitchrider.com/nowobble.htm

$_57.JPG

Many of those I saw mentioned not to use when towing a trailer. That is one of the reasons I went with the cruder looking model. I may pick up one of the other ones if this one doesn't pan out. Thanks for info!

There are a number of these that consist of a spring loaded nut that goes inside the removable ball mount and a threaded "pin" Here is an example
http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessories/Pro-Series/63145-1.html
Nothing shows.

My ball mount is solid so I had a welding shop partially fill the hole for the pin and then tap it. No rattle at all.

Many of those I saw mentioned not to use when towing a trailer. That is one of the reasons I went with the cruder looking model. I may pick up one of the other ones if this one doesn't pan out. Thanks for info!

That is bazaar. Must be a lawyer problem. I wonder if the same company makes screw drivers that are not recommended for driving screws? I went back and looked around a bit. This one is not recommended for it's obvious intended use.
http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessories/Pro-Series/63145-1.html
And this one actually allows use with a trailer!
http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessories/Lets-Go-Aero/SHP2061.html

I can not see any difference except for the mfg. and the one that will work with a trailer costs $9 more. Amazing.

Why would a hitch rattle in the first place? Surely it must be that the manufacturing tolerances are too great, which indicates poor engineering/design?

My hitch doesn't rattle at all.

Actually my hitch is solidly on CX-5. It is the accessories that have a small amount of slop. This is mainly noticed when accessory is unloaded and you a rough patch in road. I am sure it is the tolerances but this is not an uncommon problem in the North American market. Maybe they assume most people want a slight amount of slop to make insertion & removal of accessory easier?

That does look like a well engineered hitch though....

Why would a hitch rattle in the first place? Surely it must be that the manufacturing tolerances are too great, which indicates poor engineering/design?

My hitch doesn't rattle at all.

This is supposed to show up to tomorrow and taking the CX-5 on it's maiden voyage to cabin for Labor Day weekend so will report back on how well it worked.

I bought a couple of U shaped clamps from Home Depot for $3 bucks but haven't put them on yet, let us know how yours works!

Easy to put on and rock solid. Absolutely no vertical or horizontal movement at all.

I'll post some pictures later today or tomorrow.

Easy to put on and rock solid. Absolutely no vertical or horizontal movement at all.

I'll post some pictures later today or tomorrow.

I did look at that item when reviewing anti rattle devices, and it did look pretty solid. Good to know that it's true.

My state law (Illinois) requires the hitch ball to be removed when not attached to a trailer

That said the bolt on contraption seems to be a lot of work when the Silent Hitch Pin from LetsGoAero and the ones ones offered by e-trailer only require one bolt to be removed

I used the Silent Hitch pin on the 1 1/4" receiver on the back of my Miata when I hauled Hoosier race tires in a small trailer and it worked wonders

Last edited:
No law where I live on ball removal with no trailer.

That does look a little easier to use as one less bolt to tighten. Whether this is true or not Hitch Rider makes this claim:

"Unlike threaded hitch pin tighteners, Hitch-Vise is a fail safe design and used with a regular or locking hitch pin. Hitch-Vise can be installed or removed in less than a minute and is easy to use."

The barrel lock through my hitch cover rattled a little bit. I took one of those chamois rags (leather) for drying the car cut it and wedged it in.

Good thing here too!

No law where I live on ball removal with no trailer.

That does look a little easier to use as one less bolt to tighten. Whether this is true or not Hitch Rider makes this claim:

"Unlike threaded hitch pin tighteners, Hitch-Vise is a fail safe design and used with a regular or locking hitch pin. Hitch-Vise can be installed or removed in less than a minute and is easy to use."

Good thing at that! Sometimes around here, the best bumper protection is that hitch ball between your rear bumper and the YAHOO behind you! Leaves a lasting IMPRESSION!

Back