How do you like your Mazda 2?

surething1015

:
2012 mazda 2
Hi guys! I recently bought a mazda 2 and I been reading reviews and a lot of them are negative things about the car,I'm stating to think I made a mistake buying this car, I know the freeway drive isn't the best the RPM goes up high when I first speed up on the highway but other than that I love the car.! I keep second doubting myself though,what do you guys think Of the car?
-Chelsey

Hmm, a lot of the reviews on the 2 seem to be polarized, depending on if you looking at the car from a value/practicality point of view or from a drivers perspective. I think you'll find that a lot of diehard Mazda fans are passionate about the latter. Which negatives were you concerned about? I think from a value/praticality point of view, most may find the car lacking in size and anmenities, and maybe the average person just doesn't want to be too engaged in the actual driving part. (At least that's what I think.) From a strictly driving perspective, the car is a hoot, it begs you to drive it faster around corners, it may not have a lot of grunt but I think what it has is quite adequate for its size and weight. The weight plays a big role here.

This video might be a little on the propaganda side but I personally think the Mazda engineers had the right idea when they built the current generation 2. The whole Mazda Stories series really shows you how much thought actually goes into designing a vehicle.

In the end, it ultimately depends on what you value in a vehicle. Sure, the Mazda2 isn't going to win many 'cool looking car pageants', doesn't have all the cool tech gadgets car companies think we need, and you definitely can't fit your whole life into it. IMO, i think we American's drive around with much more car than then we actually need in a day to day basis. Both price wise and size/weight wise. On the reliability side, it's solid. Sooner than later you will get interior rattles here and there. Steering issues seem to only plague the 2011's. Maintenance wise, its light and doesn't make a lot of power, mechanical parts will be living with a lot less stress. Economic wise, it's a very decent car, might be a bit edged out by it's other sub-compact competitors in terms of MPG, but 30-35mpg is not too shabby though! To some, the car is basically a early 1990's compact car wrapped in a modern body. It really is just an honest little get from point A to B car in that aspect. But it sure does make that point A to point B fun, which is something that comes with all Mazdas, but it does seem the smaller, the funner.

Growing up driving and wrenching on sporty RWD coupes, I never saw myself enjoying a little economy box like the 2. Boy was I wrong! Even after 2 years, I'm still loving this little thing. I wring every little bit out of the 1.5 liter at autocross events, and she never complains, handles exceptionally well too. Puts many of the more powerful and performance minded cars to shame. Hey, you can have fun in a slow car! If you want to race them, modification wise they don't require much at all, good factory and aftermarket support too, as with all Mazdas. Cargo wise, i never really carry much with me or have many passengers either, I was a bit worried if i could haul a surfboard around without a roof rack, but they fit alright with the passenger seat laid back. I can still fit a buddy sitting behind me on the drivers side, and still have the trunk for a cooler and our other junk. Gadget wise, I just plug my phone into the aux jack and listen to my Pandora stations and I have a fancy CD tray mount so I can use Waze (my GPS app) keeping my phone in a nice visible spot. Gets way better gas mileage than the cars I used to drive, $30ish dollars a tank isnt bad at all! The tank isn't too big which isn't a problem, range wise is about 275 to 300 miles. Parking is a breeze. And she doesn't ask for much in terms of upkeep, replacement parts are cheap as well.

The 2 checked off all the right boxes for me. Economic, Lightweight, Simple, Fun to drive, Just enough practicality for an everyday commute.

Plus, i think its awesome how a few of the reviewers compare the 2 to a playful puppy. Who doesn't like puppies? :)

EDIT: Holy crap, that ended up being alot longer than I intended... Well, there's my review... LOL.

Last edited:
Are you kidding?? I LOVE this thing!!

And who cares what other people think. I'm sure you bought it because you liked it. Don't follow the herd.

Last edited:
Thanks for your review ! That makes me feel way better about my purchase,I really didn't know what kinda car I was gonna get I just traded in my 2004 Taurus and I told he dealership guy I was looking for a hatchback car and he brought out a 2012 mazda 2 sport I test drove it and loved it,it's very easy to drive and park especially,I bought that car not knowing much about it but I think it's perfect for me,I'm a small person and I don't have any kids so I don't need a huge car anyways but I think when I do have kids it will be a great safe car too! My thoughts changed I know I shouldn't listen to all the negative reviews and just worry about if I like it or not there's nothing I'm too worried about on that car and I'm sure I will be happy with it for a long time! Thanks for the positive review!

I think it's perfect for me,I'm a small person and I don't have any kids so I don't need a huge car anyways but I think when I do have kids it will be a great safe car too!

I have two kids. I've taken 12 hour road trips with the whole family in the 2. With my roof rack I can fit kayaks, mountain bikes, or a cargo box on top. Actually, I once fit my playboat (small kayak) and paddle inside the car. I got a double-stroller in the trunk. Fit a kid's bike with training wheels, a tricycle, myself and both kids in the car. It may be small compared to everything else on the road, but its way more fun, and plenty practical. Easy on the wallet too.

Hi guys! I recently bought a mazda 2 and I been reading reviews and a lot of them are negative things about the car,I'm stating to think I made a mistake buying this car, I know the freeway drive isn't the best the RPM goes up high when I first speed up on the highway but other than that I love the car.! I keep second doubting myself though,what do you guys think Of the car?
-Chelsey

In this segment and this price range, you're NOT going to end up with a premium car. Sorry to burst your bubble. It's a small car with a small engine and a short wheelbase, so you're going to get a slightly noisy and bouncy ride. The automatic doesn't help things either...do keep in mind that the engine is a 1.5L, so it has to work a bit harder to get up to highway speeds. At least it's not totally buzzy and harsh - I don't mind revving this engine.

If you're second-guessing your purchase on a single complaint (going by the one you stated), you aren't going to be happy with any car, because no car is perfect out of the box. That's where modding comes in - you can buy aftermarket parts to make the car more suitable for your tastes and therefore can satisfy your vision for the car. Or just keep it for a little while and trade it in, if you end up being that unhappy with it. It's a Mazda, so it won't really go wrong anytime soon :)

You don't buy a car because someone else likes it, you buy it because *you* like it. (burnout)

Everyone on the Subaru forum I moderate though I would've grown bored with having a daily driver 1/3 the power of my WRX. But I haven't. The mazda is playful, fun, and begs to be flogged. Plus, it cuts through traffic like a chainsaw through a zombie.

I love my 2, I can't think of getting rid of it anytime soon. I used to own a Speed3 and frankly, I prefer the 2 over the Speed3.

More I mod the thing more I love it. It needs power tho, but it doesn't need much power to be a fun car. An extra 70hp would make the 2 perfect.

Other than power, the 2 is awesome, gets great mileage, and is perfect for DD.
In addition, the 2 is very fun to drive!

I can't comment on reliability, though, I've only logged 1,500 miles.
However, if the 2 is anything like my previous 4 Mazda's, then, it is going to be very reliable.

Mike

it's one of those types of cars that you can drive, I mean really drive everyday and wring the snot out of without worrying about getting over your head. If properly modded, this car makes way more grip than it has power and is the perfect car to learn proper driving dynamics in a track/Autocross setting. It's cheap to own, maintain, and insure. It's a good looking little car with a ton of room for the average family's needs.

Way more practical than the MINI it replaced, and just as much fun to drive, without the German/British headaches.

So yeah, I like this little car. A lot.

it's one of those types of cars that you can drive, I mean really drive everyday and wring the snot out of without worrying about getting over your head. If properly modded, this car makes way more grip than it has power and is the perfect car to learn proper driving dynamics in a track/Autocross setting. It's cheap to own, maintain, and insure. It's a good looking little car with a ton of room for the average family's needs.

Way more practical than the MINI it replaced, and just as much fun to drive, without the German/British headaches.

So yeah, I like this little car. A lot.

(yippy)

You don't buy a car because someone else likes it, you buy it because *you* like it. (burnout)

Everyone on the Subaru forum I moderate though I would've grown bored with having a daily driver 1/3 the power of my WRX.

Not EVERYONE! I sold my wrx/sti converted sf forester before getting the 2. Prior to that I had an sg forester and a bugeye wrx. Only times I miss the scoobies are poorly maintained gravel/dirt road and 2-lane road passing scenarios.

Not EVERYONE! I sold my wrx/sti converted sf forester before getting the 2. Prior to that I had an sg forester and a bugeye wrx. Only times I miss the scoobies are poorly maintained gravel/dirt road and 2-lane road passing scenarios.

You miss me (cabpatch) hahaha

Subaru's always had a place in my heart, the only thing stopping me to own one is their sky high interests rates and maximum of 60 months payment plans.

Everyone on the Subaru forum I moderate though I would've grown bored with having a daily driver 1/3 the power of my WRX. But I haven't. The mazda is playful, fun, and begs to be flogged.

No way! My other ride is a lightly modified '13 Mustang GT.
I never bore of the 2. In fact, I've been spending a lot more 'fun' time in the 2 lately. The Mustang is just too fast to explore any of its limits on the streets. With the 2, I can be at the limit 24/7! :)

I do miss my old '05 WRX STi, though.
Great car!

Mike

Same with my turbo Miata. It is fast, but there is no place to really use it on the street, where the 2 your on it all of the time, and still safe and not drawing attention to myself.

Swapped forester *swoon*. I've had 4 of the damn things ('83 GL Wagon 4wd, WRX-suspension'd-95 Legacy, '04 Baja Turbo 5mt Stage 2 on Coilovers, and my current bugeye-swapped-1st gen wagon), but they didn't make a 'cheap' car that was fun enough for me to want.

You miss me (cabpatch) hahaha
Subaru's always had a place in my heart, the only thing stopping me to own one is their sky high interests rates and maximum of 60 months payment plans.

On my current Subaru I had to get a persona loan. Title/VIN said 200,000 mile, 15 year old base impreza. But it had about $12,000 in mods. When I told the bank I wanted a loan for the car they laughed. You really don't want a 72 month loan...the payments are marginally cheaper but you are paying so much more interest over the course of it.

I am really happy with my 2. I enjoy drving around in it and taking corners quite hard. I would like a bit more power, which might be addressed with a dynotronics tune and possibly and cat back 2.5 exhaust but that is down the line

The 2 is like your best friend. While you're driving its the kind of car that keeps egging you to drive it hard. And when you do drive it hard, you don't break the bank since the engine's so small you still end up doing 10L/100km even when you're reving the nuts off it. I love how it seems to have miles and miles of grip, even though I'm using some super hard economy tires, the thing still kept up(stock) with a raep train composed of an MR2, A 70s Lancer, a few WRXs, a Mazda3, and an Accord. Where only the last 2 were bone stock. This was on mountain roads too, and I was the only one that avoided using the oncoming lane during corners.

Back