Have any of you you removed the main headlight unit before ?

pdxa4

:
2011 CX-9 Grand Touring AWD
Hi guys I've been looking for help on how to safely remove the main front headlight unit. I'm looking to replace the xenon/HIS ballast, i have an OEM replacement ready to fit. But I need to know how to remove the headlight unit first.

If you could tell me or point me towards a service manual it would be most useful, thanks...

You have to remove the bumper cover by removing all the screws and clips in the wheel well and along the top of the radiator support. Then you can tilt the bumper forward and unbolt the headlights. The ballast is likely screwed to the bottom of the headlight housing. Some silicone over the connector inside the light housing may keep the new one from failing, you may also try to dry out the old ballast if it does have water in it and see if it works before installing the new ballast.

Well I finally got time to work on the car today. (lots of work travel etc)

Got the front bumper removed, then had access to remove the main headlight unit.

i-Mt7bgBD-L.jpg

i-T3RgPPt-L.jpg

i-sLHr7mK-L.jpg

I removed the HID ballast from the bottom of the headlight unit, and sure enough there was signs of water damage, what a silly design - it is almost like a water trap.
i-V9KKp9w-L.jpg

Rust forming
i-WnpskjF-L.jpg

With a heat gun I made sure to fully dry out the green electrical connector, and i cleaned it up also.

Then fitted the new OEM ballast.
i-4KsVShH-M.jpg

This time I used a lot of silicon sealer (it will turn clear when dry) so that it doesn't happen again.
Not the best photo, but you get the idea.
i-BvS7Chz-L.jpg

At that point i decided to also work on the other side, this one was completely dry thankfully, but I also used silicon sealer around it.

Put everything back together and all is up and running fine, issue fixed for a fraction of the cost that a dealer would charge.

Thanks for sharing!

I'm curious what state you live... more particularly, how wet the climate is that you got water into your headlights ? I know it's a little dryer in southern California that Seattle.

Thanks for sharing!

I'm curious what state you live... more particularly, how wet the climate is that you got water into your headlights ? I know it's a little dryer in southern California that Seattle.

We lived in CA for years, had no issues. But we moved to Texas (Austin), hot and humid plus really heavy rainfalls.

I've lived in the PacNW also, and it's a much different climate. That exceptionally heavy rain rarely happens.

When this issue happened it was after 5" of rain fell in an hour.

OK, thanks. I was kind of expecting you to say that you were in the PacNW (based on for profile) and got the frequent drizzles where it never really dries out.

Just got a new 14 CX-9 GT and have been thinking a lot about the headlights since they are so expensive to replace. So when I read your thread it got me thinking about trying to make sure ours are sealed up well.

pdxa, along the lines of where you live/lived, are you the original owner? i.e. if not, did it come from a northern state with a bunch of salt in the winter? This makes me want to take out my headlights and silicone them up as well. yikes. my guess is the water comes in between the bumper and the bottom of the headlight? otherwise, I'd think the fender liner should keep the water out. That sucks....

Back