Found a M5 - fair deal? (w/pics)

It's not CarMax. It's a Mazda dealership. We opted to not get the CPO for $650. Although it was enticing because it would've come with new matching rear generic brand tires since that's what Mazda requires for their CPO. Mazda USA and the Mazda dealership both confirmed in their system that the maintenance was done so we feel comfortable with that.

Just put down the $1000 deposit. We're picking up the vehicle Wednesday :)

Congratulations on the purchase! I would still get it in writing to be safe.

Yeah the tires have to be the same brand all around. Talk to them, you might be able to get them to let you keep the toyo tires and remount them at a tire shop.

0009ee089018e5e709425795c062a6b0.jpg

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

Last edited:
It's not CarMax. It's a Mazda dealership. We opted to not get the CPO for $650. Although it was enticing because it would've come with new matching rear generic brand tires since that's what Mazda requires for their CPO. Mazda USA and the Mazda dealership both confirmed in their system that the maintenance was done so we feel comfortable with that.

Just put down the $1000 deposit. We're picking up the vehicle Wednesday :)

If you can still get it CPO'd please call them back and do it. $650 is negligible to the extra peace of mind you will get especially with that low of mileage.

Congratulations on the purchase! I would still get it in writing to be safe.

Yeah the tires have to be the same brand all around. Talk to them, you might be able to get them to let you keep the toyo tires and remount them at a tire shop.

0009ee089018e5e709425795c062a6b0.jpg

Thanks for the list. Where do they get "150" from in that list? Maybe checking each tire for wear and tire pressure counts as 8 points?

Last edited:
Thanks for the list. Where do they "150" from in that list? Maybe checking each tire for wear and tire pressure counts as 8 points?

This is just a section of the 150 point inspection. Notice the Roman numeral 5 (V) on top of that chart.

$650 isn't bad for a CPO warranty. I personally have never considered CPO, but you'd be getting tires out of it right off the bat. Also, the rear wiper is sitting at the wrong angle. Hmmmm...

This is just a section of the 150 point inspection. Notice the Roman numeral 5 (V) on top of that chart.

Gotcha...went to the Mazda's Web site and found the entire list. Trying to get clarification right now on getting it certified. Mazda USA rep said it's not something you can pay for after the fact as the dealership certifies it before listing it. They just got the vehicle late last week and I inquired about it as they were servicing it.

UPDATE - Decided to get it certified and will have two new tires. It's supposed to come with Sirius for 3 mos as well. Does the GT come with Sirius-equipped radio? So $15,150 is the agreed price now and after we pay tax and tag fees, it'll be $16,230. Thanks everyone for your help.

Will post pics when we pick it up, so stay tuned :)

Last edited:
Wait NEW Mazda5 can be had for 18-20K depending on model, and a 5 year old one IS ONLY 3k less?

When we bought our 2012 new in the summer of 2011, they couldn't give the 2010s away. I had new offers of 14-16K brand new. We instead paid a few more for the 2nd gen.

Tonight my friend (member on this forum), is trading is 2010 Mazda5 with 31K miles. Wonder what the delaer will give him on a trade in. Immaculate, one owner car.

Last edited:
Wait NEW Mazda5 can be had for 18-20K depending on model, and a 5 year old one IS ONLY 3k less?

When we bought our 2012 new in the summer of 2011, they couldn't give the 2010s away. I had new offers of 14-16K brand new. We instead paid a few more for the 2nd gen.

Tonight my friend (member on this forum), is trading is 2010 Mazda5 with 31K miles. Wonder what the delaer will give him on a trade in. Immaculate, one owner car.

It may be a bigger spread than that. It appears the model the OP is looking at is a Grand Touring and that OTD price includes the 100k CPO warranty. I think real world out the door transaction cost on a new Grand Touring 5 is going to be in the 22.5k to 24k range after you add in taxes, dealer fees and other junk.

I would have paid that price for that 5 if I were looking for one again.

It's no white bugeye WRX with the full Prodrive treatment... ;)

LOL...wow, throwback there, my friend. I swore I would never get another white vehicle after having the Subie for 6 yrs. It was a labor of love keeping that thing looking clean. As will this one...as long as it doesn't interfere with family time.

Last edited:
Congrats! Here's to hoping you got a cream puff (cheers)!

but I still think something is not right with that car but that doesn't matter b/c it ain't my car :D

Congrats! Here's to hoping you got a cream puff (cheers)!

but I still think something is not right with that car but that doesn't matter b/c it ain't my car :D

Appreciate the positive/negative vibe (rei) LOL...

It may be a bigger spread than that. It appears the model the OP is looking at is a Grand Touring and that OTD price includes the 100k CPO warranty. I think real world out the door transaction cost on a new Grand Touring 5 is going to be in the 22.5k to 24k range after you add in taxes, dealer fees and other junk.

I would have paid that price for that 5 if I were looking for one again.

Yeah...and we just couldn't warm ourselves to the Nagare look. We like the '08-'10 front and back a lot more. Although we would've liked the niceties of the '13 and up (e.g. back up sensor, USB, LED turn signal mirrors). The bump in HP and MPG is minor. And this one was originally purchased in September 2010, so it's not quite 4 yrs old yet.

Appreciate the positive/negative vibe (rei) LOL...

Yeah...and we just couldn't warm ourselves to the Nagare look. We like the '08-'10 front and back a lot more. Although we would've liked the niceties of the '13 and up (e.g. back up sensor, USB, LED turn signal mirrors). The bump in HP and MPG is minor. And this one was originally purchased in September 2010, so it's not quite 4 yrs old yet.

Not sure what SILENTNOISE is concerned about?

Check the MFG date in the door jamb, as that will give you a better data point.

I feel the same way about the Nagre waves and the high taillights...

You did good getting CPO, but can you get REAL tires like Bridgestone or Michelin instead of GENERICS? If they need an extra $200 to do this it will be so much better than living with generics for the next 3 years...

If you like the Protege5, you will love the Mazda5. The sliding doors and extra row of seats, and rear AC will be a nice upgrade! And it comes with all of the driving enjoyment of the P5.

@mazdadude - I know we'll really like the M5. This will be my wife's car first and family car second. We had a '12 M5 as a rental for week a couple years back and enjoyed it a lot. And my wife enjoyed driving it on the two test drives she's been on. I think the most important/things she appreciates are:

-Driver's seat raises (she's 4'11)
-Visibility all around is great
-Arm rest
-Has a good amount of room compared to her Protg
-Doesn't feel big; drives like a car; and easier to park
-Sliding doors

I've gone back and forth with the dealership a lot already and don't feel like requesting another thing. The generic tires aren't desirable, but if we get a couple years out of them, I think I'll be satisfied.

Last edited:
Its been bugging me, but its MZ5. That Z is important :p, otherwise you're talking about a BMW :p.

It looks really clean, but IMO I'd either talk them down more or try and get a better deal on a 2012 GT. Just because it has very low mileage doesn't mean its as good as new. The bushings and all other rubber parts have sat through the elements for four years, but that's me. There's also better financing on a new model if you plan on financing (0% for up to 60 months). And personally I'm a bigger fan of the 2012 dash layout with the red lighting, green lighting screams 80s Japanese to me.

Its been bugging me, but its MZ5. That Z is important :p, otherwise you're talking about a BMW :p.
says you? Mazda 5. M5. We're on a Mazda board, no?

this purchase is so CRAZY. I offered a mint fully loaded 8MO '13 for $18250 and everyone was saying it was too expensive. This cat gets a 3YO car (with no discount financing) for $16230 w/ 2 junk tires and it's all like.. (friday) around here. haha!

The first gen, to me, now that the car's getting axed, are $10K vehicles to begin with.

this purchase is so CRAZY. I offered a mint fully loaded 8MO '13 for $18250 and everyone was saying it was too expensive. This cat gets a 3YO car (with no discount financing) for $16230 w/ 2 junk tires and it's all like.. (friday) around here. haha!

The first gen, to me, now that the car's getting axed, are $10K vehicles to begin with.

Agree with you, as usual. Thus I pointed it out.

My friend traded in his 2010 GT last night with 35k miles. Car is mint. $7800 on trade in.

says you? Mazda 5. M5. We're on a Mazda board, no?

CPO should qualify for 0.9% financing on tier 1 Credit. I always factor in that dealer cost is higher than private party.

Back