To buy a msp or not to buy a msp.. That is the question...

Can I say, if you're wanting something reliable for winter and what not I wouldn't get an MSP. It's not a winter car. There are people who will say, but if you get winter wheels and tires it's not that bad. Are you willing to buy another set of wheels and tires? I would tell you to find some pos honda to beat on or something with awd or a truck with 4wd. Unless you are truly willing to suffer thru all the issues that the MSP has, I know you said you're mechanically inclined, I would advise against it. Even though she is "fun". There are just so many issues that slowly arrise one after the other over and over. I'm trying to scare you away. It's a love hate relationship always. Weak transmission. Flimsy engine. Great stiff chassis. If you can't resist the urge then I would say keep it stock. Don't try to make big power. Fix the big issues and then leave it alone. Again though, if you want something reliable so you can work on your s14 I would say find another car that's not as interesting. That way you aren't tempted to spend money modding that as well.

That's my (2cents)

I dont plan on driving it in the winter. I recently have been given a work vehicle so winter commuting can be done with that.

As for the s14.. well I have kinda lost interest in that as well. Not sure what i am doing with that either. I just want a fun DD and im not looking for big power. If the motor blows well s*** I can put a KLZE in. I have owned 3 KLZE swapped cars in my life so I know a thing or two about those

I dont plan on driving it in the winter. I recently have been given a work vehicle so winter commuting can be done with that.

As for the s14.. well I have kinda lost interest in that as well. Not sure what i am doing with that either. I just want a fun DD and im not looking for big power. If the motor blows well s*** I can put a KLZE in. I have owned 3 KLZE swapped cars in my life so I know a thing or two about those

Then you have already answered your own question.

Well ya thats why I revisted the thread. I do want a msp its just the issue of finding one now haha. I dont think there is many left

meh.. my msp was perfectly reliable in winter, but i live in a fairly tropical paradise compared to most of you lol. i drove my msp year round for 7 years without any maint other than oil changes and brakes ect. sure its all broken now, but all the stuff that broke is well documented to break if you even look at the boost pedel heh.
i think shopping for an msp is more about FINDING one than picking a GOOD one. my advice is to find the cleanest bodied one you can and just work on the mechanics. you wont have to touch the chassis if it has been cared for. aside from lowering options the suspension is pretty dialed from the factory.
even with a blown motor, you can get a fsde motor from a p5/es/lx whatever from 2001-2003 np and drop it righ tin. there is nothing special about the engines. the turbo is very likely going to outlast the engine in most msps.

most people who own them really dont own them cause they really wanted an msp, so expect them to be average daily driven, maybe beat on. just like any other used car really.

just fine one that is clean, even if it runs like poo.

i duno if your in bc, but there were a few for sale here on the island. id almost try to get a vancouver car if only due to the aircare standard. cars would have to be maintained well to pass emissions.

Ya im in bc but im in the okanagan. Got any links to ones for sale on the island? Doesnt seem to be any for sale on the mainland right now worth my time

meh. looks like they all sold heh. there were two yellow ones here though for around $5500. people are trying to get more for p5's heh. if you didnt care about the rareness though, id almost get a clean p5 and boost that instead. msp turbo setup is direct bolt on and can be had for under $1000.
i might swap my stock turbo setup to this new p5 im gonna build for DD use and buy a speed circuit kit for the msp in a few years.

not to scare you away, but one of the big failings is the lsd. they work AWESOME when new and for years, but they are almost a badge of honor for these cars when they fail. mine is parked right now needing a new dif. i baught two p5s to build the best of one, for less money than the cheapest aftermarket lsd option lol.

Ya id rather have the rarity of the msp. My gf has a p5 and I don't enjoy driving it much to be honest. Im aware of the lsd issues ive been researching these cars since ol05 and have test driven a bunch but never made a deal

then id say the first one you can get your hands on that doesnt have rust, buy it. for all their troubles they are lovely cars. definitely no comparing them to a p5 even in stock form. much much much much more guts.
if you follow the bolt on mods for daily msp thread, you will have a very enjoyable car for not much money. id also recommend you go ahead and buy a pope manifold right away. they are very limited in production and there really isnt anything else out there for replacement turbo manifolds, unless you make it yourself that is.

then id say the first one you can get your hands on that doesnt have rust, buy it. for all their troubles they are lovely cars. definitely no comparing them to a p5 even in stock form. much much much much more guts.
if you follow the bolt on mods for daily msp thread, you will have a very enjoyable car for not much money. id also recommend you go ahead and buy a pope manifold right away. they are very limited in production and there really isnt anything else out there for replacement turbo manifolds, unless you make it yourself that is.

The p5 is so gutless and feels to "commuter car" for me.

Thats the plan is to get a rust free one with little to no mods and buy it. I put a WTB on craigslist so we will see how it goes. If you find something on the island let me know I dont mind a trip down there.

ill keep my eyes open though i seem to find the bargain p5s more than anything heh. i got the one im driving now rusted to s*** for $1000 and the one im buying today with no rust but no engine for $300 lol. you might actually have to approach someone who owns one that looks stock and make them an offer on it. there are a few here that are driven by people who very likely dont have any idea what it is.

oh, ps. start reading up on diy fmic in the how to section and start looking for a ssafc in the classifieds. those two mods with an atp wastegate really transform the car likely for under $500.

Last edited:
Sounds good I will read up some more.

There is one guy in town with a MSP that is done up like no others I have seen, car was built around 2004 by a shop in town here then dissapeared for years now has finally showed up again. I am not interested in that car however..

Other then that I have seen none in any neighboring towns even.. The odd MP3 thats about it.

this one? http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/ctd/4885863317.html

much much better shape than mine =( body on mine is good, interior not so much =-( if you got sick of the stock rims, id be looking to buy a set as mine got jacked.

ps,. you can kinda tell its been in a front accident as the bumper doesnt quite match color wise and the headlights are different color. but if you wanted actual msp headlights for it, im prob not gonna use mine.

Last edited:
I looked at that one but I kinda wanna stay away from it. Front end is misaligned like you pointed out and Im weary of anyone using a boost controller on these. Other then that it seems alright.

I will wait until something good comes up

I like the oem wheels alot actually so I will probably keep them but if I end up getting a car and i want something else I will let you know

If you see oems in white with silver center cap and lip...those were mine....

Hey Valk,

Sorry I didnt get back to you until now haha. The link seems old so whatever was there isnt for sale anymore. Keep an eye out for me and PM me if you see anything. I am still trying to sell my volkswagen.

Latest posts

Back