Factory Radio, Bad LCD

salguod

Mr. T'bird
My daughter's new to us 2003 LX has the factory 6 disc changer. It seems to work Ok (haven't tried the CD player) but the LCD is messed up. Displays random segments. Is there a fix besides changing out the radio?

Junkyard should have plenty for cheap, the fascia removes from the main unit after removing some screws as does the cd player and cassette player if fitted, I don't have any pics at the moment though.
the cd player from the mazda 3 is supposed to be inter-changeable allowing cd's with mp3's to be played.

Interesting. So if I get a single cd radio from a junkyard I can swap out the face from it into mine or the 6 disc part from mine to it?

BTW - My 05 Mazda3 has the 6 disc changer and it doesn't play MP3s. It doesn't play cds anymore either, or rather plays them but doesn't want to give them back.

As long as the fascia is the same type so you can swap the top button trim over for access to the load button.

Edit: Sorry for the huge images, changed them to links.

My radio looks like this one:

The matching single disc radio looks largely the same, except for graphics, the load button and the SAT functions (not sure what DISP/ESN is, part of the SAT radio?):

So, I can take the bottom 2/3 of the new junk yard facia from a single disc and transfer it to my 6 disc radio and be good to go?

BTW - I see a lot of radios for Tributes, MPVs and other early 2000s Mazdas that look the same. Are they the same radio, can I use them?

Last edited:
At the top of the fascia the front trim unclips at the corners exposing the load button ready for that small trim from the 6-disc fascia, the it will be good to use.

Edit: Sorry for the huge images, changed them to links.

My radio looks like this one:

The matching single disc radio looks largely the same, except for graphics, the load button and the SAT functions (not sure what DISP/ESN is, part of the SAT radio?):

So, I can take the bottom 2/3 of the new junk yard facia from a single disc and transfer it to my 6 disc radio and be good to go?

BTW - I see a lot of radios for Tributes, MPVs and other early 2000s Mazdas that look the same. Are they the same radio, can I use them?

It could be just a bad connection in the unit. If you are up to disassembling it, you can try re-seating the LCD connectors.

As far as like units in the other mazdas, they are pretty much interchangeable, with the exception of BOSE units, and another difference is the color of the illumination used. Some are green and some are orange/red, depending on the vehicle it was used in. (flash)

On your LCD Screen is a 4 digit white Model number... i.e. 4160

If it'll possibly save me money, heck yeah I'll disassemble it. :-D Actually, a bad connection sounds plausible as it will work just fine at times, although only briefly.

Back