Mazda5 No Longer Recommended by Consumer Reports!

Ha! Well, you definitely gave me a chuckle. And yes, this is a first world problem. But I suppose when and if you can do something to improve safety, you do it.

In my current life, if I wanted to improve safety, I would move to Nebraska, buy a farm, and live on it.

Me and my spouse drive 35K miles a year. 30K of those miles are with our kids. Every mile I drive in this piece of $hit state called CA, is a mile of high risk.

I am in a ICU setting. I work with germs/bacteria that I bring home. Far more dangerous than a Mazda5.

I am just making a point, that if the only risk factor in your life is Mazda5, you are doing fine.

However, if you want to sell your car, sell it, put a bubble around your house, and sit inside.

Putting things in perspective helps (not singling you out, making a general statement).

Compared to my Elise, my Mazda5 is safer than a Unimog

4 kids out of 32 patients died this week under my care. I had to speak to 4 parents. Never matter what the parents drove.....

There are bigger life problems.

I'm not as concerned with the new small front overlap test, though I always have felt the driver's footwell in the 5 is rather cramped. The IIHS result that opened my eyes is the side impact rating. A few other cars received an "Acceptable" score, but only the 5 received a "Marginal" score. Even the Smart ForTwo received a "Good" score on that. If I'm hauling kids around in the second row, that's a valid concern for me. And I'm guessing there are cars going back more than 10 years that have better results in side impact.

No amount of driving acumen is going to prevent someone from T-boning me if I'm stuck at an intersection trying to make a left and some idiot flies through a red light. Fact is, driving is dangerous, and there are other drivers you can't control that threaten your life. One measure we can take to at least reduce the odds of that threat, even a fraction of a percent, is to purchase and drive the safest cars we can find.

Hmm. I have a feeling the sliding rear doors make it harder to do well in side crash tests.

I'll be honest, if I had children, I'd probably want a bigger, safer vehicle than this. But I don't. I hate big SUV's but if I had kids, I'd probably get one just to protect them from all the other big SUV's out there. It's too bad everyone can't drive sensibly sized cars like they do in Europe, those of us who do would be a lot safer.

Ah well, I don't ride in the back of my own car and I have it more often for cargo than passengers anyway so I'm OK with it.

Hmm. I have a feeling the sliding rear doors make it harder to do well in side crash tests.

How did the Oddyssey/Sienna do?

I know the 2014 Pilot (no sliding rear doors) did poorly on the IIHS test. It ain't hurting sales thats for sure.

Bottom line, the Mz5 is NO longer safe per new IIHS. For the hardcore safety Nazis out there, let GVW be your guiding light. Big mass crushes little mass -every time- but you can forget about being nimble/avoidance (perhaps you clipped the corner b/c the car is NOT nimble, ahem MR. SUV/Truck driver) or lightweight/efficiency. Pay the price to play the game. You can get T-boned even if you are walking or just sitting on a bench minding your own business.

If you are seriously concerned about safety, take defensive driving or perhaps get “M” class on your license. You’ll better appreciate your surroundings AND it’s free (in PA)!

To add: What would the world think (you know, the bigger piece of the pie where CR and IIHS doesn't mean a thing)? Is the Mz5 a death trap? Without actual proof, I'm pretty sure this car was built to global standards/requirements, which does have less freeways like we do.

Last edited:
In my current life, if I wanted to improve safety, I would move to Nebraska, buy a farm, and live on it.

However, if you want to sell your car, sell it, put a bubble around your house, and sit inside.

I worked on a farm for a while. Trust me, some of the situations and machinery can dispose of your life rather quickly.

How did you know I wrap my children in bubble wrap?

How did the Oddyssey/Sienna do?

I know the 2014 Pilot (no sliding rear doors) did poorly on the IIHS test. It ain't hurting sales thats for sure.

On side impact, Odyssey, Sienna and Pilot all scored in the "Good" range. Odyssey is one of the few tested to score "Good" in the small overlap. Pilot did just as poorly as the 5 in the small overlap.

Last edited:
Bottom line, the Mz5 is NO longer safe per new IIHS. For the hardcore safety Nazis out there, let GVW be your guiding light. Big mass crushes little mass -every time- but you can forget about being nimble/avoidance (perhaps you clipped the corner b/c the car is NOT nimble, ahem MR. SUV/Truck driver) or lightweight/efficiency. Pay the price to play the game. You can get T-boned even if you are walking or just sitting on a bench minding your own business.

If you are seriously concerned about safety, take defensive driving or perhaps get “M” class on your license. You’ll better appreciate your surroundings AND it’s free (in PA)!

I'll just wait for Google's autonomous cars.

As for the "M" class license, I'm a road cyclist, so I know what it means to aware of danger and take measures to avoid it. However, I also know I'm at the complete mercy of a distracted, drunk or otherwise impaired driver behind the wheel of a 2 ton killing machine. Life is risky, but I feel I can and should take precautions that are economically feasible. I'm glad the government has standards for crash safety and has required safety belts, air bags, ABS, et al for the vehicles I drive and that others drive. There is clear evidence this technology has saved lives and that concerns about safety do make a statistical difference. If I can improve my statistical odds, I'm doing it.

I worked on a farm for a while. Trust me, some of the situations and machinery can dispose of your life rather quickly.

How did you know I wrap my children in bubble wrap?

On side impact, Odyssey, Sienna and Pilot all scored in the "Good" range. Odyssey is one of the few tested to score "Good" in the small overlap. Pilot did just as poorly as the 5 in the small overlap.

Yeah I dealt with farm injuries as a resident.

My point is, if I moved to a farm, I wouldn't have any equipment to have any accidents.

Pilot sales are not declining....Pilot owners don't seem to care.

When are you selling your 5?

I have a friend who owns a Ferrari Testarossa with 5 original miles on it. Car was purchased and left in a bubble wrap in FL. He boughtit in CA, and last 7 years car is still in the same bubble wrap.

When are you selling your 5?

I am shopping for something bigger, but mostly to increase passenger and cargo space. I won't lie that the IIHS ratings pushed me to shop a little earlier than I had planned. However, I did say I opt for safety when I can, meaning when it is economically feasible. So it's possible I'll hang onto the 5 for a bit longer and take my chances with statistical odds.

I am shopping for something bigger, but mostly to increase passenger and cargo space. I won't lie that the IIHS ratings pushed me to shop a little earlier than I had planned. However, I did say I opt for safety when I can, meaning when it is economically feasible. So it's possible I'll hang onto the 5 for a bit longer and take my chances with statistical odds.
Makes sense! Don't go playing economic odds with the kids lives now..with such an unsafe car ;)

I'm driving the new Kia Sedona in two weeks, I'll let you know how it is.
Old one was garbage. New one is supposed to be worlds better. Keep us posted!

I'll actually be out in Dana Point for it and the Soul EV. Looking forward to it. KIA did a good job making it look good for a minivan.

Back