Wheel Bearing or intermediate shaft this time?

03protolx

:
2003 Mazda Protege LX
My 2003 Protege has had a constant wheel bearing failure by a local shop by my house. I bought the car in march of 2013 and seems as if every 4-5 months its been going out.

April 2013 the passenger side went out, but agreed to replace both as it was cheaper in the long run. Replaced hubs along with new TIMKEN wheel bearings.

between april 2013 and June 2014, both sides have gone out 3 times each. back early June, i had the passenger side done AGAIN.

I took it in AGAIN today and they are saying my intermediate shaft bearing is bad. now.... the front end is producing the same sound as it has before when a wheel bearing went out...like a "wah wah wah wah wah wah wah" and squirreley handling and vibrations. The wheel itself doesnt have any side to side or up and down play. They put a stethoscope to the intermediate shaft bearing and there is *minor* noise coming from it but once you take the passenger cv chaft out and put the car in drive... the noise completely goes away.

my question is... doesn't sound travel through the cv shaft to put out a similar sound at the intermediate shaft carrier bearing? you can feel the vibrations in the passenger coil spring as well.

Id do this wheel bearing replacement at work, but having almost $700 worth of work and a lifetime warranty id rather have it done for free.

did you ever figure this out? im having the same issue. ive replaced bearings, axles, hubs, intermediate shafts, carrier bearing and i'm still getting the same sound. i'm told it's the differential bearings or input shaft bearing inside the tranny. i'm just leaving it alone for now since it still drives.

Back