leaking and burning

visiongt9506

:
2002 protege5
i have been burning oil badly and now i have noticed oil leaking constantly out of the side of my motor near head gasket area next to timing belt. i need opinions im thinkin bad head gasket internal and external

Are you actually consuming (burning) the oil, or is it being lost through an external leak like the valve cover or camshaft seals? Or a failed head gasket like you believe?

I'm burning for sure because when I start the car I get a lot of smoke till I take off and now I noticed that's its leaking out the side of mymotor and its coming from head gasket area and its all dry from valve cover area

i have been burning oil badly ,... leaking constantly,...

Oh My God !!! Me Too !!!

im thinkin bad head gasket internal and external

Both !!! I'm baked and didn't bother getting up to go to the washroom,...

Are you actually consuming (burning) the oil

Yes,.., Yes I Am,...

,... or is it being lost through an external leak?

It Depends,...

download_zps90c82d02.jpg

Sounds like mine. Except mine is not leaking from the head gasket, but burns just as bad.

The smoke on start up is probably the valve seals. When you shut the engine off, oil drains past the valve seals and into the cylinders. If you do the head gasket, you should do the valve seals too.

Smoke on start up could also mean clogged piston oil hole(forgot the name). If you look down the spark plug hole after your car has sat overnight and the pistons look dry, then it's your pistons causing the smoke on start up.

Huh? You definitely don't want wet pistons after sitting over night or any time really. They should be dry. If wet after sitting you have bad rings or valve seals, and I would lean toward the valve seals.

Last edited:
Smoke on start up could also mean clogged piston oil hole(forgot the name). If you look down the spark plug hole after your car has sat overnight and the pistons look dry, then it's your pistons causing the smoke on start up.

Huh?

Huh? You definitely don't want wet pistons after sitting over night or any time really. They should be dry. If wet after sitting you have bad rings or valve seals, and I would lean toward the valve seals.

If you had bad piston rings, smoke would occur frequently and not just at start up. The looking for a "wet piston" is meant for bad valve seals. Just an FYI for anybody reading this.

Post #21

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123770462-Smoke-on-cold-start&p=5504992&viewfull=1#post5504992

Nevermind, your post read like you were suggesting wet pistons were a good thing.

Last edited:
Back