VTCS delete RPM drop?

Hi all,

I just did an overhaul of my intake with all new gaskets and have been working my way through the problems slowly. I have pretty much figured out all the problems, except for one.

On a cold engine, when I start, the engine drops to about 500 rpm and seems like its about to die. If I give it some gas, it will go back to 700-800 and then drop to 500 intermittently. This is only an issue for the first 5-10 seconds of operation.

When warm, it idles great and revs great.

So is this a result of the VTCS delete or did I mess up somewhere?

Haha, I can totally live with this, I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything while putting the intake back in.

To be completely honest, I actually prefer the low RPM idle at cold start. Reason being that the oil is viscous and all the metal is cold, as long as it can keep the oil pump running, the lower the rpm the better. I always wait at least 10 seconds after start before doing anything anyways.

if you have a manual transmission, get an MP3 ECU. it will help with the cold start issues of the removed VTCS.

Not only will it help with that issue, it smooths the powerband out nicely across the board. It's a subtle change, but one that you'll really appreciate the more you drive with it.

Back