typical current drain when car is off

jdoggsc

:
'03 Mazda Protege
What kind of current drain are you guys getting when your car is turned off. My engine cranking started getting really weak, so I replaced the battery with a new one from O'Reilly a week ago. Yesterday, the cranking was weak again. I hooked up a current sensor to the negative terminal and was getting between 9 and 12mA current drain with the car off (unlocked, if that matters). I traced it all to two fuses: INJ and BTN, where the majority comes from the BTN fuse.

It seems to me that 10mA is a reasonable amount of current drain between the radio and ECU or whatever else. It doesn't seem like enough to deplete a battery in a short period of time, but I don't really have a good feel for that.

What kind of current are you guys seeing?

What kind of current drain are you guys getting when your car is turned off. My engine cranking started getting really weak, so I replaced the battery with a new one from O'Reilly a week ago. Yesterday, the cranking was weak again. I hooked up a current sensor to the negative terminal and was getting between 9 and 12mA current drain with the car off (unlocked, if that matters). I traced it all to two fuses: INJ and BTN, where the majority comes from the BTN fuse.

It seems to me that 10mA is a reasonable amount of current drain between the radio and ECU or whatever else. It doesn't seem like enough to deplete a battery in a short period of time, but I don't really have a good feel for that.

What kind of current are you guys seeing?

Anything below 50mA is acceptable per most automotive and trucking manufacturers. 10mA is fine.

Back