2013 Mazda5 turbocharger installation

Thanks. Did you have your WG "cracked" or fully open when making 2-3psi?

Hard to recall exactly how far I had it open but I had the rod threaded out almost all the way. It was a pretty generous opening. Am thinking there was about 3/4" clearance between the flapper and the seat.

Another thing to try for good measure. You running recirc setup or vent to atmo? If doing recirc you could put a check valve on the BOV so it stays open from vacuum. Wouldn't do that if venting to atmosphere. You don't want to start sucking unfiltered air back through it.

I hadn't even thought of that possible solution with a BPV. But I am using a BOV vent to atmosphere, so it won't work for me.

you're also ( from the looks of it ) running BLOWTHROUGH MAF setup, so BOV is a non-issue.

and the 2-3 psi isn't going to do squat, I wouldn't worry about it. Your engine is not gonna blow up I promise.

Yes, it's my daily driver. It's got just under 11,600 miles now, since I bought it new at the end of October, 2013. So probably a bit over 15k by her first birthday.

That's consistent with what I expected. My previous DD's have gotten ~13k/yr, but we've taken a couple road trips in the mz5 that previously would have been done in my wife's car, when my DD was a bit less family-friendly.

^^
Awesome.

My MS3 has been dead reliable at 20K miles a year. THus I was seeing if this is a DD project, or more of a seldom used car project.

Since with DD usage, you can see if there are any long term kinks etc.

Very inspirational project. Kudos.

I was creating an imgur album this morning, and realized I didn't include a completed shot of the engine bay.

a6fgZeF.jpg

Apologies for the shoddy battery tie-down - it was a piece of scrap aluminum angle that I happened to have laying around AND it already had a 1/4-20 threaded hole in the right place! I'm going to replace it with something more attractive in the near future.

What made you decide to go with Blowthrough instead of Draw through for the MAF?

also, you may end up with some flow reading issues with your maf in that location. hopefullly not though

In all seriousness, how are things going? Have you ran into any hurdles or has dialing it in been going smoothly?

Back