Reuse your TPMs tire pressure sensor M10x0.9

Cournane

:
Mazda cx7 2.3l turbo 2010
I recently had the fastener nut corrode on the tire pressure sensor causing the TPMS sensor to come on. The sensor was fine, but the nut was corroded. Mr Tire plus the dealer said I needed a new sensor ,install cost varied from $160 to $240 depending on the dealer.
This is not True. Depending on your sensor type you may be able to order the valve stem and service kit from TPMS.com. If so order it and get a tire shop to install it.
For my type, i could only order the service kit, they do not have the correct valve stem. My valve stem had high levels of corrosion, and the new nut would not go over the stem.
So here is what I did, go to a tire shop, get them to take the sensor out, if you need to drive along distance replace with a normal valve, or just use your spare wheel to get home.
The valve stem will have a build up of metal due to galvonic corrison, its a non standard thread (this is the same for all valve stems) the size is M10x0.9, hence you can not buy a thread die for the stem. However you can use a triangular file to clean the threads up. It took about 15mins of careful filing , but the end result is the new nut will screw onto the old valve stem, hence the old sensor can be used. Go back to the tire shop and get them to re-install the sensor.
The other option is to get a non genuine TPMS installed, according to Pep boys (who do not have the genuine sensors) these do not work well and they will randomly result with the light coming on. Ps th option is $89 plus tax. Doing it my way will cost about $15 per tire.

Back