Rx-8 Shutting off after ignition

showhbk

:
2006 Mazda RX-8 Shinka Edition
Hi all,

TL;DR version below this wall of text.

I have had no luck finding solutions on the Rx-8 club forums and was looking to test my luck here. I have a 06 Shinka with 76000 Miles on her second engine. My problems begin way back in September of last year when the car would crank and start fine with no misfires or problems but then die after about 3-5 seconds. After getting the car towed the Mazda dealership found that a wire to my low fuel pressure resistor was heat damaged and wanted to charge be $3500 to re-wire the entire car (not kidding). I used some old wire that I had from an old SRT truck and the car started and ran fine. I heat wrapped the wire and drove the car fine until December when the same problem started happening and we later found my MAF sensor to be dirty and I cleaned the MAF sensor and re-oiled my filter and the car ran fine. March came and I blew all my fuel injectors on a cold day and almost burned my car to the ground. I paid for those repairs and now a new issues has come up. I took the car on a trip from Columbus (Ohio) down to Cincinnati to see my girlfriends for the weekend and the car drove down fine and felt great on the way down. We woke up the next morning and drove around town for a while and then decided to go home when the same problem occurred where the car would start fine but then would die after 3-5 seconds. The car threw up an error code for "intake temperature to high". This confused me greatly because it was only ~81 F outside, so I cleaned the MAF in the parking lot and the car can fine all the way home the next day (I even stopped for gas on the way back and the car ran fine). I woke up the next morning to go get some food and the car was back to its old ways and would shut off 3-5 seconds after ignition. The engine light also not blinks 8 times after the car dies.

The car is giving my no OBDII codes, I have given the car an oil change, checked for vacuum leaks, cleaned the battery terminals, cleaned the intake and MAF sensor, checked the fuses, inspected crank sensor, checked the gas cap, and a few more things. I have no clue as to why the car is shutting itself off at this time and I am reaching out to anyone over here who is willing to help me. I do not trust Mazda stealerships and I am adventurous enough to try and fix my car with the help anyone here can give.

TL;DR version: Rx-8 shuts off after 3-5 seconds of ignition. I have tried many things but have not been successful in fixing the issue.

Here is a link to the RX-8 club thread that I posted over there. If anyone here can read OBDII data there is a post with 2 key cycles of data on that thread. Video of the problem is posted below.
http://www.rx8club.com/series-i-tro...dies-3-seconds-after-ignition-pos-maf-253351/

Last edited:
Back