aux transmission cooler

Just came across this very helpful aux cooler thread.
http://www.yotatech .com/f2/transmission-cooler-mounting-thoughts-interesting-discovery-215128/

In short:
1)You want to mount the cooler as close to, but not touching by using the supplied hardware, the condensor. This allows the aux cooler to reap the benefits of the radiator fan (or AC fan but longer hose) - Genius! It's like having the e-fan aux cooler but not as effective :D. This is benaficary on hot days driving at low speeds where soly relying on air cooled would not help as much. When fan kicks-in, it pulls air through the radiator and if the aux cooler is close enough - bonus!
2)Zip ties are a good solution but only through condensor, not both condensor and raditor.
3)I need to RTM and be weary of air in the system. You WANT the transmisison pump to build pressure and avoid air. Looks like Mark did it right.

Interesting read Silentnoise713. I'll have to double check but I believe my cooler is no more than 1/2 inch or less from the condensor if not almost touching. I'll get some temp readings at idle and while cruising soon. The guys on that forum were bypassing an existing cooler while I and most here are supplementing our factory coolers so in my opinion the location is not quite as critical. The numbers will tell though once I get a chance to record them.

My car may be weird but I have never had the fans run when I'm not running the AC. I thought it was just my imagination for the longest time, then one day I did a proof run and COULD NOT get the fans to come on without turning on the AC.

My car may be weird but I have never had the fans run when I'm not running the AC. I thought it was just my imagination for the longest time, then one day I did a proof run and COULD NOT get the fans to come on without turning on the AC.

I wonder if your thermostat is stuck open or set very low. One of the checks that the manual uses to verify that the engine is up to operating temperature is that the fans turn on 2 times. Or else, you did your check in the dead of winter :)

Interesting read Silentnoise713. I'll have to double check but I believe my cooler is no more than 1/2 inch or less from the condensor if not almost touching. I'll get some temp readings at idle and while cruising soon. The guys on that forum were bypassing an existing cooler while I and most here are supplementing our factory coolers so in my opinion the location is not quite as critical. The numbers will tell though once I get a chance to record them.
More better! Those trucks guys prove having a fan to move air through it makes it cooler (duh) but it is pretty cleaver to take advantage of the radiator fan since it kicks in when the coolant gets hot; the same coolant the OE tranny cooler uses so it's like auto mode.

Summin aint' right. My fan definitely goes on/off - a lot. or your car is too kewl to get hot, that was bad...

Last edited:
I really thought i was imagining things (like the fans were too quiet to hear or some such nonsense) but i sat in the driveway and idled for thirty five minutes on a 90 degree day. Coolant temp went up to 220 without the fans coming on. Literally the moment i hit the AC button both fans kicked on. In normal use driving the fans just never seem to cycle on, i dont overheat so i just sort of dismissed it as "personality"

flcruising, I used your post as guidance when installing mine. Great post and write up by the way.

Here are some more pictures of my installation showing exactly how I routed the hoses and secured them. I installed it just as flcruising did with the factory cooler last.

fVSYN6yl4Gu3xpX2_UeTCsl40JjKpuPZDKrh704TPRg=w516-h705-no

cI5_RjK09uuJCDYr5xdCOanxD-RQkJW6msqWoWksUxE=w397-h706-no

FtCUxgjlGuqm4Mz8l0jTtZf0v5b2_qMxmrR1VwFac_8=s705-no

I used my Torque app today to try and monitor trans fluid temp but quickly realized that the Torque app was supplementing engine coolant temp reading for transmission fluid temp as the the two were identical while driving, changing exactly with each other. I don't think the torque app is set up to access the transmission control module. I am going to have to find another scan tool to borrow to monitor trans temp.

Last edited:
The coolant and Trans fluid DO actually run pretty close to each other, at least in my experience with the SGII. Now, they are NOT exactly the same, but pretty close. The other thing I have seen is that the trans fluid, once it starts to rise in temp, in much slower to shed the extra heat, versus the coolant which can go up and down repeatedly during a normal drive. My trans fluid is usually 10-15 degrees above the highest coolant temp I will see during my 75 mile commute.

I'm considering two possibilities but Torque substituting ECT for TFT is the most likely. The numbers change exactly at the same time and are exact to the tenth of a degree. The other is that the cooler is doing its job but the fluid is then warmed to the coolant temp when it passes through the factory cooler (coolant cooled sandwich type). But again the numbers are exactly the same so that doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
I have no way to monitor ATF temps, but I can tell you that the fluid remains nice and pink now and I haven't done a drain/fill since the cooler installation.

I have no way to monitor ATF temps, but I can tell you that the fluid remains nice and pink now and I haven't done a drain/fill since the cooler installation.

Do you remember my test where I sacrificed the DMM probe for our first real temp measurement?

I don't even remember the results now, but I think it was 180F or so. I'm sure a search would yield the answer but I'm on my phone and lazy.

Would it make any sense to bypass the OE cooler entirely allowing the trans fluid to pass only through the aftermarket one? It seems a little silly to cool the fluid only to have the OE cooler warm it back up again, if that is what is going on. The SGII will show trans fluid temp, at least on my 06 it will. That thing is probably the best $150 bucks I ever spent, I've used it in the last four cars I have owned.

Glad to see folks goin for the stacked plate coolers vs. tube and fin. Stacked plate is 33% more efficient than tube and fin. Been runnin a 20k gvw model transaver stacked palte on my P5 sportauto for decade or so. Tranny still shifts perfectly and the AMSOIL atf helps keep temps down more and lasts twice as long. My return hose is luke warm at normal operating temps. You can hold your hand on it all day. Line going to cooler...not so much. I recommend one whether towing or not for any auto tranny.

Would it make any sense to bypass the OE cooler entirely allowing the trans fluid to pass only through the aftermarket one? It seems a little silly to cool the fluid only to have the OE cooler warm it back up again, if that is what is going on. The SGII will show trans fluid temp, at least on my 06 it will. That thing is probably the best $150 bucks I ever spent, I've used it in the last four cars I have owned.
Fluid should pass thru oem "cooler" in radiator THEN go thru the other cooler then back to tranny. Fluid gets precooled by oem then really cooled by the hayden. I remember reading where this also supposedly keeps warranty intact.......if you still have one.

I tried getting my SGII to read out trans fluid temp on my 2012 using one of the Xgauge programs. No dice getting it to work back in late 2012 or early 2013. I see now that there are a whole bunch of different Mazda specific trans temp Xgauges on the website now though which I'll happily try again.

Last edited:
Glad to see folks goin for the stacked plate coolers vs. tube and fin. Stacked plate is 33% more efficient than tube and fin. Been runnin a 20k gvw model transaver stacked palte on my P5 sportauto for decade or so. Tranny still shifts perfectly and the AMSOIL atf helps keep temps down more and lasts twice as long. My return hose is luke warm at normal operating temps. You can hold your hand on it all day. Line going to cooler...not so much. I recommend one whether towing or not for any auto tranny.

How is it mounted? Fan or anything extra?

Back