Freaking Finally: 16vPete's Mazda2

After a small setback with the suspension install over the weekend (couldn't get the strut mount off, needed an impact wrench), I'm going to re-attempt with a rented impact wrench on Thursday. Still, removing and installing the complete shock/spring was super easy and instilled a little confidence in me. I missed wrenching on cars so much.

Here's how she's currently sitting, I actually prefer the naked steelie look over having the hubcaps. I think I might plastic dip them until the Avid.1s come in the mail.

2co50ev.jpg

The tires came in! I have all my mail go to my work... you should've seen how confused my coworkers looked ("why did you get new tires?! It's a new car!").

sl4r5e.jpg

I'm way stoked on how wide 205s are, they're definitely the widest tire I've ever had on a car. They'll look rad as hell and the added grip will be nice.

I'd look into a set of lightspeeds to go with those tires. 7.5" width would be perfect for the 205, and with the +32 offset they look super mean. I had a set on mine for a short time that I borrowed from the miata (tires were 195/55 though). Rota may have some good 7.5" options too, but I haven't looked at those for awhile.

I'd look into a set of lightspeeds to go with those tires. 7.5" width would be perfect for the 205, and with the +32 offset they look super mean. I had a set on mine for a short time that I borrowed from the miata (tires were 195/55 though). Rota may have some good 7.5" options too, but I haven't looked at those for awhile.

Good call on Lightspeeds, I was looking at those for a while. I think it was a pic of your 2 in a garage with them mounted up that caught my attention, haha. Definitely a great looking wheel in black. The AV-08s are Slipstream knock-offs with a 35 offset and also great in black. Decisions decisions!

I'm running the Lightspeeds with 205's:

IMG_20140805_101728.jpg

IMG_20140805_101744.jpg

Still plan to drop it, but I'm saving up so I can do springs, shocks, sway bar, end links, and bushings all at the same time.

I made a last-minute change-up and decided to go with the Lightspeeds. After some further research, I really like the wider size and better looking offset. Plus there will be room to grow if I ever decide to do something crazy like throw slicks on them. I'm quite stoked to receive them in the mail from Rodrigo!

Got almost everything installed today, just didn't do the rear shocks due to not having the right tools to reach the top strut mount bolts. Still was able to do the springs (super easy as everyone has said) and the fronts were easier than anticipated. The whole thing took me about 4 hours going suuuper slow and a couple of slight delays.

24xkh39.jpg

This is funny, I strung an extension cord all the way from my 2nd floor apartment to my parking space in the backyard, had plenty of slack too! Thank God for impact wrenches too, btw.

140g3fn.jpg

I'm quite happy with the drop! Its just right for me. The ride is a lot nicer too - no major change over bumps but the thing stays a lot more planted in the corners and feels more solid. I haven't stiffened the front Corksport shocks just yet, I'm going to wait until I can do the rears.

15s7loi.jpg

Didn't hear any weird noises during my 40 minute commute to work on cruddy Chicago streets this morning, so far so good!

I always make it a point to park next to fellow B segment cars whenever possible.

2s7u9sg.jpg

also can i add that that car is not suited to be pictured in countryside backgrounds, city only. car park buildings, car parks, city streets, you get the idea.

Oh ok brah. Tell that to the many 2 owners on here who don't live in cities.

^Hell yeah dude!

Silver looks great too, that was my 2nd choice if blue reflex wasn't available.

also can i add that that car is not suited to be pictured in countryside backgrounds, city only. car park buildings, car parks, city streets, you get the idea.

lol what the f are you talking about. I like this car because it looks like a small version of mine.

^Hell yeah!

MY WHEELS CAME MY WHEELS CAME MY WHEELS CAME!

15x70oo.jpg

My UPS delivery guy surely dislikes me by now (shocks/struts shipped to my job, tires, now wheels).

Thanks man! Yeah I was thinking about that, maybe a clean and factory-looking way to modify the Konig centercap.

Installed the rear Corksport struts this evening, just like the springs they were incredibly easy. It's amazing how much easier the job is with a deep socket and 3" extension, which I didn't have when I was doing the fronts.

I messed around with the stiffness and set the front shocks to 8 and the rears to 10. Seems like a good balance, will definitely test stiffer when I get more used to them.

I'm hoping to install my DDMWorks rear sway bar this weekend! It all depends on if I can get my hands on a cordless drill or not.

I think I'll also drop my wheels and tires off to get mounted, which will definitely call for a wash and wax!(nana)

Last edited:
Damn pete, all you been doing since you got your 2 is mod mod mod.

The extent of what ive done to my 2: Dog bone torque mount and wash and wax.. man I wish i wasnt broke! I may just buy a set of those $100 "Manzo" springs off ebay. I gotta drop this thing.

Btw, did you have to get an alignment after your installed your springs?

I've been waiting to own and mod this car for a veeerry long time, so I had some money on the ready. Plus I really wanted to make sure I did this stuff before things start to rust and accumulate road grime, Chicago winters are brutal!

I still haven't gotten an alignment, though I haven't put much mileage on it since installing them. It takes some effort for me to bring a car to a shop.

Have you considered Megan springs? They only drop 1 inch or so, but are only $140. You can sometimes catch Eibachs on sale for $180 too, but you have to keep your eye on eBay. I personally would keep to name-brand springs, even Megans.

Brought my wheels to a local tire shop this morning, brought them home and mounted them up, got a wash/wax, and took some photos =)

Many thanks to Rodrigo @ Font for a great deal, and EXCELLENT customer service!

ROAD'S CLOSED PIZZA BOY, FIND ANOTHER WAY HOME

tumblr_narswwyYwB1r3hbt4o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_narswwyYwB1r3hbt4o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_narswwyYwB1r3hbt4o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_narswwyYwB1r3hbt4o7_1280.jpg

This is <4 miles on the tires. I forgot to remove the front plate before photos, had to put it back on because I got a ticket (first time in the 10ish years I've been driving without one)

Last edited:
Back