Pinging noise on cx5 diesel

Pius

:
Mazda cx5 diesel automatic
I have a new cx 5 diesel automatic, 6 months old, which has a strange sound coming from the engine. It sounds high pitched almost pinging, dynamo sounding which I can't figure out. Sounds a little like a loose fan belt or the valves? And does not make the noise when first started and cold but once the engine has warmed up. Also it is really noticeable when driving slowly in the city and when taking the foot off the accelerator and doing round 1500 to 1800 revs. Left the car at the dealer for a week and the mechanic/s couldn't figure it out either. Tried another one that was there for service and that also had the sound but not as loud. Does anyone have any idea or experienced anything like it. I think the car is amazing, smooth handling and great acceleration but this sound makes me want to get rid of it.

Also the brakes make loud creaking noises which is not expected from a new car. Noises are apparent when stationary and brakes released to move inches. Any thoughts anyone. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same noise on brakes, my front left creaks under moderate braking but not always. Dealer couldn't find anything but I am not too bothered about it.

No idea on the engine sound, sounds like pinking but I thought that was due to ignition of the spark being a bit off, so not possible in a diesel.

Thanks for the feedback agreed brake noise not so irritable unlike the pinging

I have the same noise from my 2014 diesel automatic cx5. I hear a light metallic tinkle when the accelerator is pressed when engine warmed up and under load. My wife says it reminds her of pinking on petrol engines. To my ears it is like a couple of teaspoons rattling together. The noise disappears as soon as foot lifted off accelerator and I think it is coming from the automatic transmission.
I have a new cx 5 diesel automatic, 6 months old, which has a strange sound coming from the engine. It sounds high pitched almost pinging, dynamo sounding which I can't figure out. Sounds a little like a loose fan belt or the valves? And does not make the noise when first started and cold but once the engine has warmed up. Also it is really noticeable when driving slowly in the city and when taking the foot off the accelerator and doing round 1500 to 1800 revs. Left the car at the dealer for a week and the mechanic/s couldn't figure it out either. Tried another one that was there for service and that also had the sound but not as loud. Does anyone have any idea or experienced anything like it. I think the car is amazing, smooth handling and great acceleration but this sound makes me want to get rid of it.

Also the brakes make loud creaking noises which is not expected from a new car. Noises are apparent when stationary and brakes released to move inches. Any thoughts anyone. Thanks.

I have both the pinging and the brake creaking. The creaking has been there since the start but is getting better. Seems to creak more when cold and right after a car wash for some reason.
The pinging has been there all along too. disappears when releasing accelerator.
I have a diesel automatic gone less than 4000 km. Would be interesting to hear more about this

Last edited:
I have the pinging noise just on very light throttle , my workmate with same car has same noise , odd but seems consistent with what others are reporting.

Has been discussed in the thread "How many Brits fancy a cuppa?"

The "metallic tinkle" I have that and reminds me of "pinking" with petrol engines if the ignition is too far advanced, or cheap fuel, but this is Diesel so maybe shouldn't really be happening. To be honest though, not too bothered as seems to be quite common.

Alex

Thanks Alex so does that mean no one has had any solutions to the pinging. In my case it's not a subtle noise but irritating as hell unless I drive around with blaring music to drown it out. Would hope someone out there if not Mazda have come up with a solution

Go drive another vehicle with same engine and see if it is normal. Have you tried a differnt fuel sourse? Ed

Not sure about the transmission and have tried different fuel source and problem still there

Are you driving an auto diesel ?
I have the pinging noise just on very light throttle , my workmate with same car has same noise , odd but seems consistent with what others are reporting.

I had the same issue at 2000 rpm on a previous Honda ICTDI this engine was also alluminum just like the cx5.
Honda put a pre injector to try and solve the issue must be a characteristic of the material used in modern diesel Engines

Hi Pius, all gone quiet on this thread ? Have you had any feedback from Mazda on pinging noise ??

Hi no not resolved yet. Taking it in to the dealer again this week who has been checking with mazda on the problem. Will keep you posted

Hi Pius, look forward to hearing outcome. Thanks.

I noticed this noise right after I took ownership of my 2014 CX-5 Diesel. The local dealer had no idea about it until I asked the chief technician to ride with me. He acknowledged the weird sound but had no answer to what it is. We drove the car to the garage and had the engine noise damper (the black foam cover goes on top of the engine with the Mazda logo, which has 2 openings for the dip-stick and the oil filler inlet) removed. The noise changed its pitch a bit but become more audible. While he had no idea, but suggest it's related to the engine load/acceleration. A couple months later when I went back for service, he told me it's the turbo charge noise. The noise is most audible at around 2000 RPM when you accelerate. It is also when the turbo is kicking in. Once you know how to identify it, you can hear it at all RPM with acceleration.

Hi Pius any progress to report thanks
Hi no not resolved yet. Taking it in to the dealer again this week who has been checking with mazda on the problem. Will keep you posted

Back