2015 Mazda 5

10spokess

:
Saturn, SL1/5 Speed
Who else is really looking foward to what we get! If it is anything like the new 3 or 6 I would be 100% ready to buy.

2015 will probably be another carryover year. The 2 is the next to get updated. We'll probably see the CX3 after that. The 5 doesn't sell well enough to get a complete SkyActiv chassis makeover IMO. We're more likely to see a new CX9 than a completely new 5.

I have heard we may not get the next gen 5 here in the US anymore

With the crossover market being the bread and butter , that is what gets the attention.

I am just hoping I keep this car 2-3 more years, and then I can go back to a sports coupe (911/GTR/Evora) and take the kids in the back of those.

Tired of slow car, big car seats

It has the new SkyActive engine in Japan as an option. Comes complete with a colour instrument panel and Eco 'game'.

Obviously, they don't see fit to introduce it to the USA.

Here in the UK we have the SkyActive 'light' engine - the 2.0 DISI with iStop (the model I own).

It would seem to be make or break for the future of the Mazda5 at the moment. Given that the previous two models were built on the Ford platform (and are Mazda3 based), and the fact that the new 3 uses a new Mazda platform, I wouldn't be surprised if Mazda are just lacking budget to do a new 5 based on this brand new platform. There is no Ford backup/partnership to allow this kind of niche product to be done at a viable cost...

The lack of rumors/updates from news outlets is telling, given that really it should be ready for an all new model sometime next year.

It has the new SkyActive engine in Japan as an option. Comes complete with a colour instrument panel and Eco 'game'.

Obviously, they don't see fit to introduce it to the USA.

Here in the UK we have the SkyActive 'light' engine - the 2.0 DISI with iStop (the model I own).

It would seem to be make or break for the future of the Mazda5 at the moment. Given that the previous two models were built on the Ford platform (and are Mazda3 based), and the fact that the new 3 uses a new Mazda platform, I wouldn't be surprised if Mazda are just lacking budget to do a new 5 based on this brand new platform. There is no Ford backup/partnership to allow this kind of niche product to be done at a viable cost...

The lack of rumors/updates from news outlets is telling, given that really it should be ready for an all new model sometime next year.

The 3 does not use a new platform. That platform debuted with the CX-5, and is also used by the 6. Mazda has one platform for all their SkyActiv cars at the moment. The 5 isn't a major seller worldwide, so Mazda could potentially nix it to save development budget for something that would sell better, ie the CX-9. The 2 is the next to get updated though, and that is a global seller for them. To me, it makes no financial sense for a small auto maker like Mazda to invest in a car that sells very little globally. At least the Miata makes sense as its their sports car and the product cycle is a decade long.

The 3 does not use a new platform. That platform debuted with the CX-5, and is also used by the 6. Mazda has one platform for all their SkyActiv cars at the moment. The 5 isn't a major seller worldwide, so Mazda could potentially nix it to save development budget for something that would sell better, ie the CX-9. The 2 is the next to get updated though, and that is a global seller for them. To me, it makes no financial sense for a small auto maker like Mazda to invest in a car that sells very little globally. At least the Miata makes sense as its their sports car and the product cycle is a decade long.

It is a new platform in the sense that its not the old Ford one that is shared between the new and the old 5 - that was my point.

Me too

Who else is really looking foward to what we get! If it is anything like the new 3 or 6 I would be 100% ready to buy.

I left the Mazda fold, but I would go out and buy the 5 today if there were a model with Skyactiv. I think that it's hard to justify the downgrade in space for a family unless there is a bigger bump in MPG. I think that the 5 would sell a lot better with Skyactiv if they would invest in marketing it more in the U.S. I took a vacation in Canada this summer, and it's amazing how many more Mazda5s I saw up there.

I hope that Mazda doesn't abandon the North American market with this model. In my opinion, that would be a mistake. If they nix a model, in my opinion, it should be the Mazda2, which is a poor alternative to the M3 or Miata. If you want to go sporty, go Miata. If you want to go hatchback, go Mazda3. In my mind, the Mazda2 is more redundant to these models than the Mazda5 is to the CX-5. But then again, no one's asking me. :)

I would buy one in a heartbeat, if they release a SkyActiv model, either 2.0L or 2.5L

I left the Mazda fold, but I would go out and buy the 5 today if there were a model with Skyactiv. I think that it's hard to justify the downgrade in space for a family unless there is a bigger bump in MPG. I think that the 5 would sell a lot better with Skyactiv if they would invest in marketing it more in the U.S. I took a vacation in Canada this summer, and it's amazing how many more Mazda5s I saw up there.

I hope that Mazda doesn't abandon the North American market with this model. In my opinion, that would be a mistake. If they nix a model, in my opinion, it should be the Mazda2, which is a poor alternative to the M3 or Miata. If you want to go sporty, go Miata. If you want to go hatchback, go Mazda3. In my mind, the Mazda2 is more redundant to these models than the Mazda5 is to the CX-5. But then again, no one's asking me. :)

Well they just relesaed the new Mazda2..which will be coming to the US. It will be built in the Mexico plant.

Recently bought a CX5. Seriously considered the 5, but the terrible (for me) mpg and horribly underpowered motor pushed me to the CX5. Shame, cos i really like the overall package. Hope they figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recently bought a CX5. Seriously considered the 5, but the terrible (for me) mpg and horribly underpowered motor pushed me to the CX5. Shame, cos i really like the overall package. Hope they figure it out.

When we bought our Mazda5 new in 2012, we really liked the CX5.

However, I needed the extra pair of rear seats, thus went with Mazda5.

Congrats on new car!

I have a 2010 Mazda 5 and have been looking at the CX 5 forum because I may be interested in one. I found this thread interesting. It's nice to get comparison info.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123841992-Road-Trip-2014

More food for thought.
Marty

Back