How-To: Add a bracket to the passenger all-weather rubber floor mat

:
2009 Mazda 5 Sport
How-To: (2006-2010) Add a bracket to the passenger all-weather rubber floor mat

Materials needed
- Additional "bracket" from dealer. Part is 0000-8B-L40. I ordered this along with a cabin air filter from Rosenthal with shipping for about the same price as picking it up from the dealer
- 1/2" drill bit
- Rubber grommet (3/8" ID. The one I used had a 5/8" OD. Link here: http://www.menards.com/main/electri...mmet-3-8-inside-diameter/p-1460408-c-6450.htm)

So this was ridiculously easy once I finally did it

1. Drill hole in mat using 1/2" bit (see pic for location). The hole wasn't 1/2" when I was done with it but it worked perfectly
2. Insert grommet into mat. Just work one edge in and then work it around until it snaps into place
CAM00181.jpg
3. Remove the retainer clip from underneath the passenger chair
CAM00183.jpg
4. Put the bracket in place, re-attach the clip, screw it in, and secure the mat
CAM00185.jpg

Simple and no more fixing the mat when the lady gets out ;)

Last edited:
A holder exists on the driver's side to keep the mat from slipping up into the pedals and causing an uncontrollable situation. If you are intent on adding one on the passenger side, I would look at the metal grommets available at a fabric store. I imagine the rubber mats would drill easily if you didn't want to buy a hollow punch. Overall should be fairly easy. Let us know how it turns out. If I remember correctly the holder is held to a reinforced section of the carpet with a pushpin retainer. Reinforcing the mounting position might be your biggest challenge. But for the passenger side it may not matter.

If you plan to drill, cover the carpet in the right spot with tape to reduce its tendency to get caught in the bit and unravel.

If you plan to drill, cover the carpet in the right spot with tape to reduce its tendency to get caught in the bit and unravel.

Mine are rubber so maybe a little different. I think carpet would be easier because you can just add a metal grommet and be done. I'm ordering the part today so hopefully get this done this weekend. I'll post pics and more later

Back