Catalytic converter/Resonator ticking noise

icantshift

:
2002 Protege5 5spd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asVGuPFXAFk

The ticking noise is coming from either my catalytic converter or my resonator, but I can't tell which one because theyre so close together. It doesnt feel like a blockage (can't feel any backpressure, engine doesn't struggle) and there aren't any rattling noises coming from the cat when I go over bumps. 2002 Protege5 with 111000 kms and Megan Racing Cat-back exhaust. Should I be worried?

EDIT: More information: Resonator has about 3000kms on it. Catalytic converter I have no idea, but I don't think it's the factory cat because it was the least rusty piece of the exhaust system when I bought the car. The sound occurs when the car is turned off after being driven fully warm and lasts for about 5 minutes.

EDIT 2: I know it sounds a lot like normal metal cooling noises but for some reason the fact that it started so suddenly having never done it before has me concerned.

Last edited:
Defiantly not from the metal cooling. When everything is nice and cold shake the exhaust real hard. You'll figure out where it's coming from

I put the car up on stands and shook the cat real hard, as well as the rest of the exhaust system. Nothing rattles. I also had a friend listen while I went over a bump and he didn't hear any rattling. I get where you're coming from, I had a friend with a fried cat and it rattled around as he drove and when you shook it, but I can't find any sign of this. Everything seems to be intact. This is really puzzling me.

UPDATE: It hasn't happened in 3 days. Completely stopped on its own. This was a weird one for sure.

Back