CX-5 USDM 6MT - A little stiff?

daustin

So... I recently traded in my 2012 Mazda 2 for a 2014 CX-5. It was hard to let go of the 2, but I needed something with a little bit more (OK, a lot more) room inside for my growing wedding photography business and getting a compact SUV or crossover with a proper manual transmission sealed the deal for me. I absolutely loved it on the test drive. I'll admit, I was disheartened a little by the lack of trim options, colors, and accessories available for those of us who opted for the third pedal, but it still didn't take me away from wanting it. It definitely helped make the decision getting S plan pricing through Mazdaspeed Motorsports Development, too...

Anyways, fast forward to now. I've had the CX-5 for just shy of two weeks. It's got about 550 miles on it.

The manual gearbox on it is great. It runs smoother than some of the automatic counterparts in its class that I have had as rentals for work. I have one quirk with it though... It seems like fourth gear is really hard to shift in to at times. Third and fifth can sometimes be the same way, but fourth is the worst. It just completely locks you out of the gear and you have to pop it in neutral, clutch out/in, then you can get into fourth again. It seems like if I apply slight lateral force on the shift lever towards 6th (ever so slightly) it goes into gear without drama.

Now, here I though maybe mine was an oddity. So I went to a different dealer and test drove one of the CX-5's on the lot with the 6MT and it did the same exact thing.

Is it maybe that just the shift cable needs adjusted? I know in both my Mazda 3 and Mazdaspeed 3 there is an adjustable linkage on the one shift cable, however it seems to deal more with leverage into 1/2 or 5/6 and not so much affects 3/4 because those are a vertical up/down motion on the selector.

Thoughts? I'll probably reach out to the dealer if it doesn't get easier here soon. I figure they will probably tell me it needs to break in or something with the low miles on it as of now.

Does it only happen when you first start driving or does it happen after the car has been driven for a while?
Mine can sometimes be hard to get into gear when first shifting after the car has been sitting overnight. For example, this morning it wouldn't go into 3rd and I had to release the clutch in neutral before it would go in)

After a couple shifts everything soothes out for me.

Taking the car up to 5k+ in 1st gear seems to really lubricate things well for the rest of the drive.

I suspect that my transmission might be a little low on gear oil, but the dealer supposedly checked it to be fine. (this was after the service manager tried to tell me it's a sealed unit and there is no oil to check, so it's very likely they didn't check anything at all)

Wow. Definitely nothing like that is happening. The gear engagement is solid and the transmission works exactly as it should... it just seems like something is maybe out of alignment and that it can be shifted smoothly if you follow a particular method of shifting. Since I went to a completely different dealer and drove another brand new one on their lot and it behaved exactly the same (and even shifted correctly following the same method of shifting) I figured it can't just be a fluke that no one else has encountered...

Oh and this is all the time. Definitely not a cold transmission issue.

sounds like we have different issues. My car has no 4th gear specific issues.
One my car has been shifted a couple of times my 4th gear is always very smooth and easy to get into.
It's just a quick flick straight down and it's the most natural of all shifts for me.

Yea that's exactly the opposite for me. A natural flick down misses the gear, almost as though it hits the gate.

mine some hesitation going into 4th gear initially, but after about 1000 miles it loosened up. Now at 25K, no issues at all with it..

There is an adjustable shift cable linkage, you pull a retaining cap off and the cable length can be adjusted in or out using a threaded coupler.
I had taken a picture when I removed mine as a reference to myself to put the same adjustment back when reassembling it (see below).
If I remember correctly, the white part first gets released, and then the red plastic piece can freely slide out, releasing it's grasp on the threads that are on the inside.
But please note that I really don't know whether adjusting this would solve your issue, just throwing some input your way in case you feel like experimenting.

My 2 through 6 shifts have always been silky smooth with this car, it literally can be "flicked" into each gear.
But occasionally at a stop light, first gear sometimes feels locked out and I would have to drop into 2nd then 1st seems to open up after that (done while fully clutched in).
This really only happened a few times though (and was common with a few other cars that I've driven), so I didn't worry too much about it.

shift_cable.jpg

I played around with it some last night since my wife forgot her lunch for work and I had to run something up to her.

Driving around town, I could easily flick it into fourth gear on command if I was shifting into fourth gear under 35 MPH. From about 35 MHP to 40 MPH, it wanted to lock me out almost every time. After 40 MPH, it would, once again, shift into fourth effortlessly.

Maybe it does just need to break in some...

Well - update.

I left work today in a pretty sour mood and I got locked out of fourth gear again almost immediately. I took it straight to the dealer. The service advisor came out, replicated it immediately, and gave me a loaner. They expect to have the car until at least Monday which tells me that either they have a pretty busy schedule or that they plan to drop the transmission. Hopefully there is a simple fix.

UPDATE #2

Just got the call from the dealership. They already put the vehicle on the lift and drained the manual transmission. Apparently the gear oil was missing a friction modifier that was supposed to be added to these cars. They have added the friction modifier and they said they drove it around approximately 8 or 9 miles now with drastically improved shifting. I will be headed up this afternoon as soon as I get out of work to see if that is true.

thanks for the update. Hopefully it's fixed now!

I wonder what friction modifier they used. The service manual does not say anything about friction modifiers for our cars:

6. Add the specified manual transaxle oil through the oil level plug port.
Manual transaxle oil grade
API service GL-4

Manual transaxle oil viscosity
SAE 75W-80

Manual transaxle oil capacity (approx. quantity)
1.65 L {1.74 US qt, 1.45 lmp qt}

I am interested as well, however I doubt they will give me those details when I go to pick it up here in an hour or two. If I do find any valuable information, I will definitely post it as well as if it is actually fixed by said friction modifier or not.

I'm curious how they even determined that your fluid was even missing the additive.
I wouldn't think that the amount added would change the fluid color or viscosity by very much.
Thanks for the update!

Here is what they ended up adding to the gear oil. I can absolutely say the transmission feels EXACTLY as it should have from day one.

RnQP6uJl.jpg

Last edited:
It's running great. I've added about another 400 miles on the car since the "fix" if you will and it's definitely greatly improved. I mean, when the transmission is still cold it can be a little stiff to get into some gears, but that's overall pretty normal for ~40F mornings... At least with pretty much every other car I have ever owned.

So, I'm happy to report that this seems to be a solid fix.

I'm getting the same problems you posted in my 2.0 2014 6MT mazda3. I'm tempted to get this MGC stuff to throw into the transmission fluid.

Latest posts

Back