2008 cx9 smart card problems

I started having trouble starting my 2008 GT CX9 with the smart card a couple of months ago. It will start fine with the key inserted into the ignition and on occasion the smart card will work but mostly not. It unlocks all the doors and lift gate but the black door button will not function. Batteries have been changed a couple of times. You can always tell when it is going to work because the "key" lettering on the display will be green and its red when not working. Now a couple of days ago the "tcs" light stays on along with the anti skid sign.

Went to the dealer today and they said its the steering lock mechanism #gryj7629xc. $700 for the part and $500 labor!!! Anybody have this replaced before or had another solution?

Thanks

Last edited:
I personal doubt the diagnosis of your dealer.
Locking/unlock doors have nothing to do with the cylinder lock. The latter allows you to turn the starting nob only.

If battery is not the cause:
1. try another card. You should have two, right?
2. inspect the sensor beneath the rear bumper. (a long rectangular black plastic box with two wires attached)
This is the only sensor that is exposed to weather element, and is usually the one to go first.
When it does, locking/unlocking could be very unstable and unpredictable.
i.e. sensor network together cannot determine your location around the vehicle. It gets confused.

Both key cards lock and unlock the doors fine. I am unable to start the car except with the key inserted into the ignition switch.

I am having the same exact problem with my 2008. One key card works perfectly, the other will only lock/unlock doors etc. Car will not start and the 'key' light will be red. There must be a way to re-program.

If you have two and now one is broken, you have to visit dealer to have it deleted and re-program in.

Ceric,

Thanks for the reply. Will be going to dealer soon for oil change so hopefully they dont bag me too hard for the re-program. The rubber buttons on the remotes are totally worn out. Have you or anybody tried the replacement shells that are online? If so please let me know how it worked out. I would like to replace them.

Back