Frames' Mazda5 Build / Maintenance Thread

Frames

:
2013 Mazda 5 Touring
I couldn't find a build area for Mazda 5 on the forums and I wanted one so I'm just going to put one in the lounge. I'm new here and to Mazda but I have been building VW's since the late 90's.

I bought my black 2013 Mazda 5 Touring brand new from Herzog Meier Mazda since it was the best looking, handling, and gas-sipping 6-seater on the market.

My mk4 Jetta is my priority build, but I have become more interested in improving my 5 as of late.

Current Mods/Maintenance:

5,000 mile maintenance done, tires rotated front to back. Current mileage is just over 10,100.

Windows are tinted 5% behind the driver, 35% up front.

4300K XB35 HIDs from The Retrofit Source put out plenty of light.

Future plans:

Mazdaspeed 3 swaybars, H&R springs/Koni shocks, Rotiform wheels, speakers that don't sound worse than my laptop, rubber mats, K&N, bigger projector retrofit, brake upgrade, better interior lighting.

Can't wait to see the Rotiforms on the 5. I love the way they look just can't afford 5k for a set of wheels.

Can't wait to see the Rotiforms on the 5. I love the way they look just can't afford 5k for a set of wheels.

Haha, I was just going to get the 17" cast NUEs which are only $279/wheel. I curse my stock split wheels every time I wash them.

Rotated tires from RR -> FL, RL -> FR.

Cleaned inside of wheels, and brake calipers.

10,100~ miles.

Mazda quality rant:

I am very disappointed in the build quality of Mazda. The interior materials are cheap looking and feeling, I knew that from the moment I stepped inside for a test drive; but I just assumed that was the difference from German to Japanese and the kids would probably destroy the interior anyways so I could live with it. But now that I have inspected the undercarriage and wheel wells, I am beyond disappointed.

I have a 10 year old Jetta that still hasn't had a single spot of rust on any piece, anywhere. My brand new 2013 Mazda 5 has seen one NW winter (i.e. no salt) and several bolts are rusting, the hubs are all rusting, and both rear shocks have paint scraped off them in a similar position and pattern on each side.

It's no longer a mystery why the warranty and factory maintenance schedule only runs to 60,000 miles.

Then there's the abundance of exposed wires in the engine bay they didn't bother putting plastic protective covers around.

That being said, I do still like the look and way it drives. I will just have to replace more parts, sooner than I had expected or at least coat them. After driving modified VW's for 14 years, I can't really claim to buy cars for the practicality.

Rotated tires from RR -> FL, RL -> FR.

Cleaned inside of wheels, and brake calipers.

10,100~ miles.

Mazda quality rant:

I am very disappointed in the build quality of Mazda. The interior materials are cheap looking and feeling, I knew that from the moment I stepped inside for a test drive; but I just assumed that was the difference from German to Japanese and the kids would probably destroy the interior anyways so I could live with it. But now that I have inspected the undercarriage and wheel wells, I am beyond disappointed.

I have a 10 year old Jetta that still hasn't had a single spot of rust on any piece, anywhere. My brand new 2013 Mazda 5 has seen one NW winter (i.e. no salt) and several bolts are rusting, the hubs are all rusting, and both rear shocks have paint scraped off them in a similar position and pattern on each side.

It's no longer a mystery why the warranty and factory maintenance schedule only runs to 60,000 miles.

Then there's the abundance of exposed wires in the engine bay they didn't bother putting plastic protective covers around.

That being said, I do still like the look and way it drives. I will just have to replace more parts, sooner than I had expected or at least coat them. After driving modified VW's for 14 years, I can't really claim to buy cars for the practicality.
Welcome aboard. I had the exact sentiment after going under the car for the first time. But I want to add that you (and I) are probably more used to older (better made, not necessarily better engineered) cars. IMO, the Mazda5 is well built in term of tolerance and fitment (it is one of handful of cars still made in JP, heavily swayed my decision) and is well designed but it is their material quality that is lacking. I attribute most of this is due to the Mazda-Ford partnershi where Mazda, being the smaller shop, leverage a lot of Ford’s buying power and used their bad suppliers. I look at it as driving a Ford with Mazda engineering.

Most cars today are made with cost cutting in mind. When I go to auto shows, I’m the guy who likes to look at how thick the panels are, grade of steel under the hood/frame/panels, how supple/soft the plastics/fabrics are, thickness of glass, how the welds are and if they are exposed, stupid stuff like that. It saddens me that most new cars, esp C-segment and lower, are mostly made with crap. It seems “new” Mazda (post Ford partnership) is using better stuff BUT will be made out of MX – no more JP made. You can’t win.

EDIT: NOT knocking MX assembly, just prefer JP assembly.

Last edited:
Agree 100% sir. 3 of the cars you want are on my list as well.

The dealership did say that people expect car price ranges to remain stagnant but cost to build is about twice what it was 10 years ago.

I noticed my wheels say made in China on the spoke. I'm guessing that's not the only thing.

I had an experience 2 weeks ago that confirms that I will not put made in China parts on my cars ever again. I tried a made in China fuel pump relay in my Jetta 2 weeks ago and it threw all kinds of codes and didn't run proper. I replaced with a German OEM one and back to normal. I guess by expecting the same price ranges; we, as consumers, have really brought it on ourselves.

I bet it was Ford's idea to source parts in China. I have had 2 Fords and both were abominations.

On a side note, does anybody know if I can fit 2012+ 3 or speed 3 swaybars with either no modification or with adjustable links, and what brands work?

I also heard that Mazda 3 2.5l headers will fit Mazda 5, is this true?

I just ordered a 20 sheet pack of Raamat and 37 sq yards of PS ensolite. I'm going to quiet this thing down and then get to work on that pathetic sound system. I love music, and it is just unacceptable.

I was test fitting a Sound Ordinance 8" powered sub I was going to use in my Jetta, and I just can't find a good place for it. I can't believe how little room there is under the seats in this thing. I think this car would make an awesome sound stage, but I gotta find room for it.

I'm going to keep the factory receiver since I paid extra for the bluetooth and don't want to mess with the steering wheel controls. I will be amping it with a mini Clarion or Alpine that are small enough to hide in the dash or under the seats.

Anybody reading this have any aftermarket speakers they like in theirs?

I'm looking at component sets only.

I was considering the Pioneer TS-D1720c components up front since they're $100 on Sonic Electronix and received positive reviews on DIYMA. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though, waiting to hear back from Infinity first.

I was considering the Pioneer TS-D1720c components up front since they're $100 on Sonic Electronix and received positive reviews on DIYMA. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though, waiting to hear back from Infinity first.

Wow! 6.75", that would probably require some dremelling.

I did some more digging through the 5 and found that my Sound Ordinance powered 8" sub fits perfectly into the storage space inside the second row seats. It is as though it was meant to be, and I'm not going to argue. It will live there. Time to order a line out converter.

8" powered sub is mounted inside driver side middle row seat. Power and ground wires have been run. I haven't connected them yet, I'm waiting until tomorrow when I can get some quick connects and find some speaker wire to tap for high level inputs.

The interior is so much easier to get apart than on my Jetta so that was nice. Getting the power wire through the firewall was not as nice.

After reading about component system showdowns, I am probably going to buy either Polk Audio 6.5" components or Focal IS65.

Sounds like MB Quart has gone downhill since I used to run them.

Yeah, MBQ was my fav brand. Maxxsonics (ewwww) bought MB turn them into turd. However, I've read the top of the line MB are still made in Germany! Even the Naki units are crap now. I like Polk and JBL too. Keep wanting to do audio mod but too lazy :p

When you looked at the rear speakers, do you think there was enough space (and depth) to enlarge the metal plate to fits 8" subs? That way my idea IF I were to take a crack at it. 8" free at subs in the back and some shallow door speakers in the sliding doors.

Also, not sure how you feel about relocating the spare. There's ample room under the car (I test fitted) but you need to source/build a mount (junkyard SUV). Since putting on the hitch, which is more important than audio, the spare does not fit :(

Back