Dynamat to Reduce Road Noise

GrasshopperCO

:
2015 Mazda 3 iSport 6-M/T
Has anyone tried fitting Dynamat in their 2 to reduce the road noise permeating the cabin? I know this is an inevitability with small, cheap cars such as ours, but the road noise is starting to bug me a bit and I thought Dynamat would be a good way to reduce road noise without adding too much overall weight to the car.

I thought it would be best (and easiest) to put some in the cargo area, under the floor mat and spare tire (I've noticed a lot of road noise coming from the rear...I know that's par for the course for hatchbacks and SUVs to be a bit "boomy" at speed) and behind the door panels. Maybe also on the inside of the fenders?

Just an idea, and was wondering if anyone could offer testimony or insight on the process. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have in my protg......it does help, but "sound deadening" is sorta misleading, instead it absorbs certain road noise frequencies. Do I like it? yes. I had the same thought process as you and found out for myself. If you decide to do it you should do EVERYTHING from the roof to the floor, i'd suggest the inside of your fenders also. The most obvious thing you will notice is your music will sound better and ppl. outside of your car won't hear it as much....hope this helps.

I did all 4 doors.. helped with the solid Ness of the sound from the speakers... not sure if that makes much sense.. it doesn't really reduce outside noise.. just muffled out some frequencies.. to make it worth it do the entire floor. Most noise comes from underneath. I got it at best buy but price matched it thru amazon since it was cheaper plus no shipping. It was worth it to make my door speakers sound more dense.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this more as a way to remedy rattle points in my car.

I had a horrible rattle and buzz from the steering column or behind the gauge cluster. Drove me nuts all winter...

I autocrosses the car last weekend, spun it twice and today, driving home from work, I had the radio off and noticed....silence...

Crazy but true...So my advise is get the car out and stretch it and flex it..It may help with the rattles..

I have the odd rattle and squeak, but it's mainly caused by interior trim pieces. It's annoying, but I'm more perturbed by the road noise from the tires. My idea with the Dynamat, and really with my "vision" for the car as a whole, is to make it feel like a more upscale car. I know the 2 was built down to a price, so I want to make it feel a bit more classy. Fixing the road noise issues and the bouncy suspension would make me much happier behind the wheel.

Back