Sticky throttle.

Paxman

:
Mazda, 323F
Hi guys!

My first post on this forum and I'll start with a few apologies. Firstly I want to apologize for my English, my native language is Swedish so I might be a little off with the terminology and other stuff. Secondly I'm not sure I posted this in the correct category since I'm not 100 % sure that the car in question is a Protege. Here in Sweden it's basically called just Mazda 323F but my google picture search pointed me to Protege so I took a gamble. If this post is placed wrong maybe mod can move it for me. Lastly I know that one is supposed to always do a search on the forum before posting. I did a feeble try but since I don't really know what to search for I found nothing.

Anyhow, these are the facts: The girlfriend has a 2002 323F (Protege?) that is in really good condition. She bought it last fall and the total milage is only around 2200 kilometers (less than 1400 miles)! The car feels like new, even has the new car smell, and the only thing I have had to do to it was a good wash and change the left rear wheel speed sensor. However the drivability is a bit jerky. (This is where it gets a bit complicated for me to explain in english but I'll give it my best.)

If you imagine that you are coasting at slow speed through a crossing. You then want to give a little gas, not really to accelerate but just to keep the slow speed. This is where the throttle feels sticky. You can't make a smooth transition from zero gas to maybe 10 % gas without the car jerking a little. I don't really think it's transmission play, it's more like you have to use more foot pressure to get over the friction from when the throttle pedal is in 0-position than you have to when it's already moving.

This is not a BIG problem but it is uncomfortable and doesn't give the gf, who is trying to get back to driving (she loved to drive when she got her license but when she moved to a big city 20 years ago she had no car so she hasn't driven much since) much confidence.

As you can understand the car has been sitting long periods, 1400 miles in 10+ years is not much exercise, so I'm thinking that the throttle linkage and throttle body might have been clogged with dust and crud.

I know it's unfair but in comparison my Volvo V70 -02 is smooth as silk in the transition from 0 to a little gas.

Anyone's got any suggestion how I can get the little Mazda as smooth as my gf's skin so she can rekindle her love for driving? (I'm getting a bit tired of being the chauffeur all the time! (wink))

By the way, I love to drive the Mazda! It feels like a go cart compared to my Volvo and I just love whipping it around!

Thank you!
/Fred from Sweden

Wow, that's something, a 12 year old Protege with just 2200km. You're right, the 323F was called the Protege in the US.

As you've correctly identified, something is sticking... the most likely cause is stickiness of the throttle plate in the throttle body. You can use some throttle body cleaner and a toothbrush to clean the junk off.

To do this, you will have to remove the accordion tube from the throttle body. You only need a screwdriver. In total, this should take about 15 minutes.

@MaxPower,

Isn't it?! The gf was planning to buy a car later but this car turned up and she got it for a great deal so I pushed her to buy it. Naturally with the hidden agenda that she would fall in love with it and start driving! (sssh)

So you think the problem is solvable? This is not a normal behavior for this type of car?

I cleaned the throttle body of my Volvo once so I'm pretty confident in that department. Should I remove the whole body from the engine or is it enough to just remove the accordion tube?

Last edited:
Pouring rain today but I went out to the car and did a quick check under the hood. The shaft on the throttle body felt quite smooth but I did feel a little resistance when I pushed the cable back. It was like a little bump at first and then it was smooth so I suspect that the problem is somewhere in the linkage.

No, the throttle should engage smoothly. You'll have to work through the throttle system to find out where it's binding and lubricate the sticky mechanism.

After your inspection, it seems the problem is probably not in the throttle body, but might be in the accelerator assembly. You can download the shop manual here to help you find the problem:
http://www.floptical.net/mazda/

Back