paddle shift on CX-5

The switch hardware looks reasonable enough. I'd want to pour through the wiring diagram to see if that will be the difficult part. Could it require ECU support that we don't have? I say try wiring up any old pushbutton just to confirm the function before buying the OEM parts.

BTW, how does the mazda paddle shifter behave? does it only work when the main shifter is in manual override position or does the paddle work as temporary override even in auto mode? My GTI allows the paddle to shift anytime regardless of main shifter position, that's why I ask.

Looks very simple... just and 'Up' and 'Down' switch to ground. The switches in the shifter are wired directly to the instrument cluster, so should be an easy job to splice into them near the steering wheel. The only issue would be how to wire through the clockspring. There are a number of empty spots in the clockspring connectors, but no idea if those wires are populated in the clockspring itself.

Concatenation of two schematics for the shifter...

attachment.php

Clockspring connectors...

attachment.php

Attachments

• Shifter.gif
    Shifter.gif
    76.9 KB · Views: 7,685
  • Clockspr_Conns.gif
    Clockspr_Conns.gif
    21.8 KB · Views: 5,702
Last edited:
Cool! It looks like the author on the Japanese site was using 0922-202 for his connections:

p6.jpg

But his diagram seem to imply position M is not populated while our diagram implies it is popluated. But from our schematic we would only need three wires, or two wires if we use an existing ground. So the paddles should work once the center shifter is set to the M position. Having the paddles would allow a new condition where the up/down signal can be toggled without the shifter set to the M position. I hope the instrument cluster will handle it gracefully and not crash. (boom03)

Or maybe this can be taken a step further and a small controller is added to allow the shifter to work like in the GTI. The controller will temporarily activate the M switch and let the paddles work, then revert to auto mode either after a set time with no input or some other condition like rpm or accelerator position.

Unless the transmission is in the M position it will not hold the gear you select with the paddle as the auto will shift to the gear that it picks based on its "gear selection map".

So looking at that wiring diagram could you swap the UP and Down wires to make it so you invert the Manuel shift mode? I really hate the current set up and want it inverted.

So looking at that wiring diagram could you swap the UP and Down wires to make it so you invert the Manuel shift mode? I really hate the current set up and want it inverted.

I think this is probably the first time I have read that someone thinks that.
To me, this is the most natural feeling direction for the manual mode.
reminds me of shifting from first to second speed (witch is the shift that is the most used to accelerate in a manual car).
Also, when accelerating, G forces (not so much felt in the CX5 ;-) ) natually push you back in the seat, I feel that pulling back feels much better for accelerating, than pushing forward while the body is going backwards.

In that regard, when I used to have my mazdaspeed3, shifting from 2nd to 3rd was the most difficult shift. I think in some part of this was due to the strong torque pushing me back as I shifted forward and away from my body.
For me, the best feeling shifts in a manual car is 1>2 , 3>4 and 5>6 because they are straight line shifts.

On mine you pull back to go down a gear... forward to go up a gear. Completely opposite of how I think it should be. The way you describe yours it sounds different than mine. I want back to go up and forward to go down.

On my ex VW it was reversed too, but on my wife's ex CLK Benz it was sideways. Now, that was weird.

On mine you pull back to go down a gear... forward to go up a gear. Completely opposite of how I think it should be. The way you describe yours it sounds different than mine. I want back to go up and forward to go down.

Thats weird, do you have this type of gated auto shifter:
2014-mazda-cx-5-grand-touring-gear-shifter.jpg

or this one:
new-2015-mazda-cx~5-fwd4drautomaticgrandtouring-8432-12653559-19-400.jpg

As far as I know, these are the two available auto shifters (the second one being on more recent models).
Both of them have the upshift pulling backwards, and downshift forward.
If yours is not programmed this way, this means someone messed up.
Get it checked asap.

Has anyone actually done this mod state side and gotten it to work? I would be a very cool feature to add!!! More Zoom-Zoom

Eventually I will do this, but now I'm about to move, so I don't even want to order anything at this time.

Had the opportunity to drive a 2014 Mazda6 GT for a week. Yup, I want paddle shifters for the CX-5 now.

I don't own a CX-5 but I have used the info from this forum and other CX-5 sources (Russian and Chinese) to retrofit paddle shifters on my 2014 Mazda 6 AT Touring. I don't know for sure that this will work on your CX-5's, I suspect that it is the same.

Total cost around $200 for parts/shipping. I needed:

GJS2-66-3P0B - Paddle shift switches w/wire harness and screws. $80.00
GJS2-32-049 - Rear cover for steering wheel. $78.25
GJS2-66-4M2 - Wiring to adapt to non-paddle equipped cars. $21.72

A comprehensive shop manual is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED anytime you work on your car. Mine is available all over eBay on CD or download for under $15.

I bought the parts from OEMMazdaParts.com but a google search of the individual part numbers will yield the best prices. And prices do vary from supplier to supplier.

On most of the parts websites it will offer two different back covers. One is around $7 and one is waaay more. The cheap one is the one I already had and it will not work with the paddles. The other one will say it's for leather, whatever that means. There is no leather but that's the one I needed.

You'll have to disconnect the battery, remove the airbag and steering wheel, replace the back wheel cover, add the paddles, and replace the wheel wiring harness with GJS2-66-4M2. This took me less than 2 hours and it was all plug-n-play. No adding pins to connectors or even a lug to ground, and no removal of the steering column shrouds.

Hope this helps anyone contemplating doing this mod.

I don't own a CX-5 but I have used the info from this forum and other CX-5 sources (Russian and Chinese) to retrofit paddle shifters on my 2014 Mazda 6 AT Touring. I don't know for sure that this will work on your CX-5's, I suspect that it is the same.
Hope this helps anyone contemplating doing this mod.
This would be a really cool and useful mod if someone can figure it out. I do enjoy the paddle shift on my Miata.

Back