eBay Mirror Monitor + Camera have finally arrived!

fanbanlo

:
Mazda 5
2HEG9cg.jpg

Monitor: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) $68.00

Camera: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) $24.88

Will install them next week.

It's fake night vision, no IR.

Quality is good, as good as OE. Yes it's usable as a regular mirror. I can see a faint rectangle where the screen is.

It's fake night vision, no IR.

Quality is good, as good as OE. Yes it's usable as a regular mirror. I can see a faint rectangle where the screen is.

Can you "dim" the mirror so that headlights will not blind you at night? I don't see any lever for adjustment like on a regular mirror. I read the advert, .2 lux is pretty good low-light performance if it is really true.

Can you "dim" the mirror so that headlights will not blind you at night? I don't see any lever for adjustment like on a regular mirror. I read the advert, .2 lux is pretty good low-light performance if it is really true.

I'm not sure if it'll dim the mirror, but it claims it'll dim the monitor if it's dark out. With tinted windows, I don't find myself adjusting the original mirror to night mode at all.

I just got the same mirror monitor to replace my old clip-on mirror monitor. My old one was basically useless in any kind of daylight because of insufficient brightness. This new one is good, finally have useable rear view camera in direct sunlight.
For the camera, I use the model that clips onto the license plate light and looks pretty much OEM. Recently replaced that also with a new CCD model with night vision IR (was using a cheaper CMOS model before).

Finally installed today! Thank you Vasy for installing this, awesome work.

First let's take a look of how it is like normally. This mirror is not auto-dimming so it really doesn't need to be constantly powered.

After a day of rain, the car & the camera are a bit dirty. Tne camera snaps right on the light and the cable had just enough room to fit around the gap of the socket. No drilling nor taping, sweet.

With lights on:

Shift into reverse and the camera comes alive in under 2 seconds. 12V of power is tapped from one the reverse lights. The camera then feeds the video and as well as 12V back to the mirror which then switches on automatically.

At almost complete darkness, the CMOS non-IR camera still works well enough but it has a strange green tint. I don't mind that at all as it works well enough.

Overall, I like this setup and although it's not as sexy as having one of those touchscreen head units, this setup is affordable and ~1s bootup time is really sweet. Since the 2013+ already has BT & USB, I just can't justify the cost of those aftermarket HU. The only thing I wish it can be better would be to have the monitor & camera stay on for ~5 seconds longer after shifted away from the reverse gear.

Once again, thanks Vasy for all his help!

Last edited:
The only thing I wish it can be better would be to have the monitor & camera stay on for ~5 seconds longer after shifted away from the reverse gear.

I was thinking of this as well the other day. I think it can be done. I'll give it a try on my car first.
Someone must have came up with a solution :)

Last edited:
I was thinking of this as well the other day. I think it can be done. I'll give it a try on my car first.
Someone must have came up with a solution :)

constant power, split video to both AV1 & AV2. Switch on AV1 for constant feed? However, it'd be annoying to turn off AV1 every time when the car starts. lol.

No.
There is an electric circuit you can build with a relay and other parts that would only power up the mirror and camera for a few seconds on the constant power once you activate the reverse. You would be able to adjust the delay with the size of the capacitor. And since this system only requires a tiny capacitor, charge times would be almost instant.
I'll look into getting some parts maybe next Saturday if I have time.

update: after lived with it for a month, I realized the mirror, together with the tinted rear window, actually dims a bit too much during the day.

Also, monitor flickers, but not too bad. Somehow when the wheel turned all the way, the monitor flickers more. I guess it has to do with some interference from that long video cable it comes with.

Other than that, overall it's a nice mod.

update: after lived with it for a month, I realized the mirror, together with the tinted rear window, actually dims a bit too much during the day.

Also, monitor flickers, but not too bad. Somehow when the wheel turned all the way, the monitor flickers more. I guess it has to do with some interference from that long video cable it comes with.

Other than that, overall it's a nice mod.

I think I have the same hardware that you bought, and no flickering for me. I did power my mirror separately directly from the fuse box. From what I gather, your mirror is powered from the rear lights (since you mention it's normally off), you may want to check if powering it separately helps.

Latest posts

Back