Mazda CX-9 Front Bumper

exorior

:
Madza CX-9 GT
Comparing the three different front end designs on the 2007-2009, 2010-2012, and 2013-present models, which one is your favorite? I personally like the 2010-2012 design the least. Especially those fog lights look out of place. I know the intent of the design team was to make the car smile, but c'mon--I don't need to drive Lightning McQueen :) Hence my question: has anyone tried installing the 2007-2009 front bumper cover on the 2010-2012 models? Everything else looks pretty much identical, so I would think they should be interchangeable. I do like the added features and better fuel economy on 2010-2012, but that front bumper cover is a deal breaker to me :)

Attachments

• Mazda Cx-9 Evolution.jpg
    Mazda Cx-9 Evolution.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 909
I like the front end of the 2013+ model a lot. However, I do believe that the best looking over all front end from all three gens is definitely the 1st gen. Of course I'm also biased.

I like the 2013+, but was too cheap to buy one so I got a 2012. I can always update the front end later if I feel froggie.

Hey, I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers the simple clean look of the 1st gen front end. I do like the 3rd gen, of course, except the bug/rock deflector is in a weird spot if you choose to install one. Do you guys think the dealership would know if the 2007-09 and 2010-12 front bumper covers are interchangeable? Obviously, the fog light openings are not going to match, but other than that I hope they are.

I know I'm late on this but I like the '13+ but I want to add the chrome to the top like the previous models. When I find the material I will use and get it done I'll post a pic.

I buy generally nothing but Mazdas. Currently own 5 of them, have owned over 2 dozen previously. Been wanting a larger Mazda SUV for years, loved the CX9, but never liked the Cheshire cat looking front end. So had no intention of buying one till they got that fixed. AndMazda got that fixed with the 2013, and thats why im now a active member of the CX9 forum now. I had zero intention of owning a car that looked like a happy cat from the front end. lol

I know this thread hasn't been on for awhile but I just came across it and wanted to put in my two cents. Yes I'm biased however I agree with xxx on this one. I was looking at the CX-9s a couple years ago and could not get passed the "smile" front end. Just looked too cute for me. While I can appreciate the layout and simplicity of the first gen's front end, the vertical prowess of the third gen was what sold me. I know they are going for Kodo styling and all that, but bottom line is the front end appears much more aggressive now.

I have a 2nd gen front, which is currently damaged. Looking to swap it out for a 1st gen. Is the swap fairly easy to do?

The bumper cover is pretty easy to remove, the instructions are in the service manual (there's a link to it somewhere on here, search around). I took mine off a while ago to replace one of the metal trim pieces - I don't remember the exact details, but it wasn't very difficult. Once it is off it is really unwieldy to handle, I'd recommend a second set of hands to help out.

I have the first gen but think the current one is the best looking. The one in between is not good. I was happy to get a 2009 as the 2010s where hitting the lot. Saved some money and got the bumper I wanted.

The bumper cover is pretty easy to remove, the instructions are in the service manual (there's a link to it somewhere on here, search around). I took mine off a while ago to replace one of the metal trim pieces - I don't remember the exact details, but it wasn't very difficult. Once it is off it is really unwieldy to handle, I'd recommend a second set of hands to help out.
Thanks. I actually wasn't asking if the removal of the existing bumper cover is easy; I can handle that. What I wanted to know was if I could successfully fit a 1st gen bumber cover on to my 2nd gen CX-9. Has anyone done this?

I much prefer the 1st gen front and thought I'd take advantage of this opportunity since my 2nd gen front is damaged and I need to replace the bumper cover anyways.

Its really the same SUV. So Yes, you can definitely swap them. The only real question is how many other things beyond the bumper have to be swapped to make it work.

Back