2012 Mazda5 Kids, Carseats & Safety Review

fanbanlo

:
Mazda 5
http://carseatblog.com/13683/it-put...ivan-the-mazda-5-kids-carseats-safety-review/

Top 10 Likes:

1. Fun to drive!
  2. Car-like handling, braking and the auto-stick make it more fun to drive!
  3. Adequate power with relatively good fuel economy
  4. Top tethers for the third row, a feature missing in some SUVs
  5. Stability control finally standard
  6. Nice folding 2nd row tray and seat cushion storage
  7. Plenty of room for most child seats to fit by width in the 2nd or 3rd row
  8. Better visibility than most SUVs and minivans, even though it rides low
  9. Sliding rear doors great for kiddos!
  10. A bargain for a 6-seater that can be had for around $20k in lower trims!

Top 10 Dislikes:

1. No crash test results from the IIHS and none coming from NHTSA, either
  2. A carseat in the 2nd row results in no legroom for the 3rd row behind it
  3. Shoulder belt in 3rd row mounted too far forward for many kids in boosters
  4. Spartan looking interior and economy-car cloth seat fabric
  5. Legroom is limited for tall adults, especially in front of rear-facing carseats
  6. Seats cushions are quite firm, borderline hard after a long trip
  7. Minimal cargo space behind 3rd row, similar to compact SUVs
  8. Road, wind and engine noise. Not bad, but not very quiet, either.
  9. Poor ventilation to the 2nd and 3rd rows
  10. Quirks? Bluetooth pairing was cumbersome. Amber displays are funky and distracting. Lack of a 2nd row center seat may be a drawback. Swirly/smiley styling may not appeal to some.

Conclusion:

The 2012 Mazda 5 is a great family hauler, especially for smaller families. It provides a ton of convenience for two or three kids, gets relatively high fuel economy and offers something fun to drive at a bargain price! You can fit a family of six with careful selection and arrangement of child seats, but you’ll probably need a hitch or rooftop cargo solution for longer trips. Other than that, it’s a great alternative to SUVs and minivans when you find that a midsize sedan or wagon just doesn’t have enough room for an increasing number of kids!

Since I have 4 kids & have had 1 in a carseat & at least 1 in a booster for longer than I have had the Mazda5, I have disagreements with some of the "cons."

cool, how did you manage to squeeze them all into a mazda 5? I thought car seat on the 2nd row would take most of the leg room away?

I'm not sure where they're getting the "A carseat in the 2nd row results in no legroom for the 3rd row behind it". That is complete bulls***. We have twins who are now 3 years old and have huge car seats in both of the second row seats. We have, a number of times, over the last couple years brought a grandma and grandpa along for a family outing, usually it's my wife and grandpa who will sit in the 3rd row, with grandma in the front passenger seat while I drive. There has always been lots of legroom for the 3rd row passengers, I've sat back there myself and let my wife drive and I'm always surprised at how comfortable it is and how good the legroom actually is... for short trips (around an hour) of course.

*Edit - Just realized why they've stated this. It's because in the Mazda 5 Manual, it states specifically that when installing a car seat in the second row seats to slide the seat as far back as it will go. Doing this will indeed hamper legroom in the 3rd row. But, what I think Mazda is trying to say is that it's easier when installing the carseat to first slide the second row seat all the way back. But they should then add a line saying something about "then slide seat to desired location".

Last edited:
Cool, with 2 child seats on the 2nd row, how do you get into the 3rd row? btwn the gap of the 2 seats?

There are 2 "Cons" that were not mentioned that were evident when we bought our 2008 Mazda5 and still had not been addressed when we added our 2012 Mazda5. By the way, in 2008 we had 2 kids and by 2012 we had 3.

1. Rear passenger vent still does not blow hot air, cold air only. Yes, I know that rear hot air vents below front seats but come on, why put a controlled vent there that can't do both? It's still better than the 2006-2007 that didn't have the vent at all.

2. Third row seats still do not have LATCH anchors. You can hook up your car seats in the third row but using the seat belt is a pain in the ass by comparison. My two older kids are in boosters now and can use the seat belts themselves so that's not so much of a big deal any more.

There are 2 "Cons" that were not mentioned that were evident when we bought our 2008 Mazda5 and still had not been addressed when we added our 2012 Mazda5. By the way, in 2008 we had 2 kids and by 2012 we had 3.

1. Rear passenger vent still does not blow hot air, cold air only. Yes, I know that rear hot air vents below front seats but come on, why put a controlled vent there that can't do both? It's still better than the 2006-2007 that didn't have the vent at all.

2. Third row seats still do not have LATCH anchors. You can hook up your car seats in the third row but using the seat belt is a pain in the ass by comparison. My two older kids are in boosters now and can use the seat belts themselves so that's not so much of a big deal any more.

Correction! THERE IS INDEED LATCH anchors for the third row. It is a single LATCH anchor in the back part of the seat and I've used it numerous times before.

Cool, with 2 child seats on the 2nd row, how do you get into the 3rd row? btwn the gap of the 2 seats?

The way I carry 2 kids with 4 adults is to shove one adult in the back row... the convertible is in the 2nd row, the booster is in the back, and both grandparents sit middle/back on one side of the car. It's very easy to get in and out like that.

That's for tether strap, not LATCH

LATCH system consists of that 2 attachment points in the seat

Yup.

That's for tether strap, not LATCH

LATCH system consists of that 2 attachment points in the seat

Okay didn't know the specifics of what makes it a LATCH. Anyway a front facing convertible car seat attached by the tether point and the seat belt is more then adequately secured.

I also carry two kids and 4 adults. Me (driver), wife (ft pass), adult (lt 2nd row), infant seat (rt 2nd row), front facing convertible car seat (lt 3rd row), adult (rt 3rd row) luggage when needed (roof rack) otherwise two umbrella strollers and 2-3 duffle bags fit nicely behind the 3rd row. I also have storage room between front pass seat and rt 2nd row since my baby girl doesn't need foot room yet.

Cool, just courious, what kind of umbrella stroller would work with an infant?

These carseat/stroller combo monstrosities are just a conspiracy perpetrated by the oil and auto industries to force us into too-large automobiles.

I used to sit in my momma's lap on a car drive!

We've done both the between the gap method when the kids haven't been placed in their car seats yet and the climb through the hatch method which needs the help of a third person, you leave one seat down, have the first climb through and sit down, the second climbs through and moves into the gap between the 2nd row seats while the third (or second) person places the seat upright. It's not as bad as it sounds! :) but does require the people getting in to be of the non-overweight variety and fit enough to climb through the back.

It'll be nice once we move the kids to boosters and we can just access the 3rd row through the sliding and partial-folding the 2nd row seats!

For me, I have 19 month old daughter and a boy on the way well 18-17ish days away. So the truth test won't come till I get see both kids in the M5. For now My daughter loves the M5, she passes out everything time we have to run errands. My daugther car seat sill have room left for me in the front and my sister in law loves legs room in the middle captain chair. I think, when my father-in-law come to visit is going to be fun since I think he is over 6 ft tall and having him sit in the M5 is going to be interesting.

Cool, just courious, what kind of umbrella stroller would work with an infant?

Well my "infant " daughter is now 1 year old so she does a good job at sitting on any umbrella stroller. And my 4 year old son walks for the most part but I still bring his umbrella stroller along in case he falls asleep this way I don't have to carry him. However before this I can easily fit my son's umbrella stroller and we used the Baby Trend Snap-N-Go stroller which accommodated my daughters infant car seat but folded flat enough to fit behind the third row. We also have a jogger that accepts her car seat which we will use if it's only 4-5 of us in the MZ5. If we absolutely need the jogger and all 6 of us are going, jogger rides on top in the roof rack basket securely tied down.

We've done both the between the gap method when the kids haven't been placed in their car seats yet and the climb through the hatch method which needs the help of a third person, you leave one seat down, have the first climb through and sit down, the second climbs through and moves into the gap between the 2nd row seats while the third (or second) person places the seat upright. It's not as bad as it sounds! :) but does require the people getting in to be of the non-overweight variety and fit enough to climb through the back.

It'll be nice once we move the kids to boosters and we can just access the 3rd row through the sliding and partial-folding the 2nd row seats!

Shoot. I've never used the sliding/folding 2nd row method of getting into the back. We must be heathens.

As for the carseat arrangements: youngest always has been behind the driver. Even with a rear-facing U-pull seat/bassinet style infant seat, there is plenty of room for a driver with a 31" inseam to operate the clutch and room for children to put their legs down in the 3rd row. We usually have the oldest sit in the 2nd row also and the middle kids sit in the back. The only problem is that the older a kid gets, they figure out how to move the 2nd row seat back and "negotiations" occur between the 2nd and 3rd row passengers on the right side of the car.

What kind of car seats are you all using and do you like them? My son is definitely in need of a more appropriate seat. He's 18 months but still in that infant carrier. I'm just trying to decide if I want to go with a convertible or a car seat. Planning a road trip in April so I want him to be comfortable. Thanks in advance :)

What kind of car seats are you all using and do you like them? My son is definitely in need of a more appropriate seat. He's 18 months but still in that infant carrier. I'm just trying to decide if I want to go with a convertible or a car seat. Planning a road trip in April so I want him to be comfortable. Thanks in advance :)

Definitely go with a convertible because at 18 months he should be rear facing still for his safety. When he turns 2 years old then you can install it front facing for him.

These carseat/stroller combo monstrosities are just a conspiracy perpetrated by the oil and auto industries to force us into too-large automobiles.

I used to sit in my momma's lap on a car drive!
LOL. I hate this term but "fear mongering" comes to mind. People just lack common sense and fall for "think of the children". NTSHA now recommends rear facing seats up to age 3!... How about people just learning how to drive and road manners first!

Just make sure you don't buy a car seat online without physically touching it first. The structure of some of these "safety" seats are just garbage. You must go to a store front and see for yourself before committing. That said, I’m using a pair of Recaro (convertible and booster) seats and highly recommend you have a look at them. They don’t do bells and whistles (cup holders, reading light, air pillows, whatever else) but are sturdy as a mofo. First thing that caught my eye was the heartiness of the head protection. Once I got a chance to pick it up in my hand I knew this was it. German seats but made in the good ol’ USA. I use a pair of cheaper boosters in the Fit for comparison but I’m ok with that since that car is only for local city runs. http://www.recaro.com/

EDIT: It seems they have a new product line and they all have cup holders.

Last edited:
Back