Hood release cable replacement Protege5

SoonP5ismine

Contributor
:
2003.5 MP5 Laser Blue Automatic (SOLD)
I just ordered a new OEM one on eBay and I am just wondering if anyone here attempted to replace theirs on their own. Just looked through 14 pages of search results but it seems that no one talked about the cable replacement. Is it easy to do? What can I expect if I do it myself. To save $$ I try to do the work myself so if it can be done please give me some help. Thanks.

hoodrelease_zps0976b098.jpg

So if I don't have to remove the fender I think I can do this myself without my mechanic.

So if I don't have to remove the fender I think I can do this myself without my mechanic.

There was nothing mentioned about fender removal so you should be good.

The only issue I can see for you is some kind of age related problem. Some thing could be rusted or seized then you strip a nut bolt or screw.

After seeing that your from NJ (snow and salt I figure) and there are a bunch of smaller bolts you have to remove,... try to get some PB-Blaster on them,... try to get to the end of the thread where it rusts then swells then binds when removed then snaps. If a bolt seems like it's getting tighter as you remove it, thread it back in and spray it again.
If the heads of any bolts look rusted keep in mind that all nuts and bolts on this car are 10 mm, 12 mm, 14 mm, 17, 19, and 21 for stock wheel lugs.

The only exception I found was a 14 mm bolt that had rusted so bad that it lost material and a 13 mm fit. (and some nuts and bolts inside the blower motor, but that doesn't count.)

I've had 20 minute jobs take all day.

Very easy job to do and extremely self explanatory...once you get in there and realize where the old cable routes...

the bolts right up front are 10mm bolts, the rest can be removed from inside of the car as you are going to remove on long wire. I cut mine when i removed mine but i had no plans on ever running a hood latch again.

That is one area on my car that still looks brand new,... but sometimes, you have to do stuff like this,...

20131023_144650_zps940b335a.jpg

20130924_131733_zpscb1da110.jpg

That's a chunk of rubber I jammed into the motor mount. It made a noticeable difference. Most productive twenty minutes I've spent on my car (next to the Colgate on my headlights)

I'm saving up my time effort and money for bigger things like when my ass falls through the floorboards,.. Almost every P5 around here is a rusty piece of crap,... Her glory days are over around here, it's kinda sad,... That was a quick and easy fix,.. no more engine flop.

I'm saving up my time effort and money for bigger things like when my ass falls through the floorboards,.. Almost every P5 around here is a rusty piece of crap,... Her glory days are over around here, it's kinda sad,... That was a quick and easy fix,.. no more engine flop.

Until it falls out anyway :)

It's pinched in there real good,... I put the jack on the stud and lifted the engine up to open the gap.

It just sucks to put a $100 part on a $10 car.

I do still love my car,.. I'm hoping for any five years at least,...

It's pinched in there real good,... I put the jack on the stud and lifted the engine up to open the gap.

It just sucks to put a $100 part on a $10 car.

I do still love my car,.. I'm hoping for any five years at least,...

I've put about $2500 in parts on my $0 car... so don't feel bad ;) still beats car payments.

Ok, thanks guys. My cable came in so now I wait for some nicer weather and time and I will attempt this. I'll try to take some pics too if I remember.

Back