How long do OEM tires last?

26000 on my Toyo tires (1 replaced at 18k because of side wall damage). At a 3-4/32 tread wear. Exploring replacement options now.

It seems very strange that some people are getting <20k miles on these tires while others are getting 60k. Differences of 10k miles could be from different road conditions and driving styles, but a difference of 40k miles is huge.

Perhaps Toyo has (huge) consistency or QC issues? No idea... Just seems odd, and is another reason to avoid purchasing Toyo's as replacement tires.

My assumption is that (even though there is lots of wear remaining on their current tires) some guys like to buy new tires.

My assumption is that (even though there is lots of wear remaining on their current tires) some guys like to buy new tires.

this is very true.

The stock Yokohomas do get noisy as they wear, but I have a hard time believing that anyone who does not purposefully try to trash their tires will get them down to the wear bar in under 35,000 miles.

The stock Yokohomas do get noisy as they wear, but I have a hard time believing that anyone who does not purposefully try to trash their tires will get them down to the wear bar in under 35,000 miles.

I did on my RAV4. And I never got substantially less than the warranty mileage out of either of the replacement tires that I put on after the Yokohamas - a Continental CrossContact LX and a Nokian WR G2 SUV.

Granted, it's kind of an apples to oranges comparison, but the fact remains that the Geolandar G91A is not a great tire.

this is very true.

Perhaps the Yokohomas (17") are better than the Toyo A23's that are OE on the 19" wheels. I just crossed over 20k miles on the odometer and I'm at the wear indicator. I've NEVER seen tires wear this quickly in my life. They are worn evenly, and usually inflated to 10% over door sticker pressure.

If I was paranoid, I'd start to wonder if someone switched my tires for worn down ones during one of my rotations or something.

Maybe a naive question, but is it better to wait until the OEM tires wear out to buy new tires? I still only have ~7,600 miles on the '15 model but have been looking into new tires, specifically the Scorpion Verde's... From how much I drive the CX-5, I doubt I'll get to ~30,000 miles anytime soon (which seems to be the consensus on when to replace them entirely?).

35,000 miles and still at 5/32 here and went through a couple rough winters and multiple potholes. More than treadwear I was impressed with the resiliency of the tires in the horrible roads these tires had to endure. The Dunlop SP Sport that came with my 6 did not make it through one winter, two sidewall bubbles without a direct pothole hit, absolute garbage. I mean granted the sidewall is not as tall as the 19's on the CX-5 but still...

I still have 4/32 on my stock 17" yoks after 38k miles. I'm replacing them, but that's only because I seem to be a nail magnet.

I don't believe in purchasing tires years ahead in anticipation of tire life. Too much can happen in a year or two or three. Ed

What about tire age?

Wear is one thing, but deterioration due to tire's age is also something not to be overlooked.

Regardless of the thread, I don't keep a tire that is more than 5 years old. 5 years from production date (sidewall) not when I put it on the car.

Since I'm the OP on this one I just wanted to update the thread.
I changed out tires today at 55,545 miles.
Could they have lasted longer: yes, I think a sedate driver could have kept the OEM tires an easy 60,000 (highway)miles. I, however, drive aggressively and am sure my driving style is responsible for the level of wear leading to tire replacements.

Last edited:
Jcanracer -Same brand/type as original tires ?

Actually no, I wanted to try something new and there was a good price for Yokohama ENVigor All-Season on Amazon, So I bought a set of 4 for just under $500 and shipping was free.
Its raining in South Florida this weekend, I'll post up a review in a week or so.

Maybe a naive question, but is it better to wait until the OEM tires wear out to buy new tires? I still only have ~7,600 miles on the '15 model but have been looking into new tires, specifically the Scorpion Verde's... From how much I drive the CX-5, I doubt I'll get to ~30,000 miles anytime soon (which seems to be the consensus on when to replace them entirely?).

Depends. I've found OEM tires to be mediocre at best in most cases. You pay for a great handling new car, then you have to wait 2 to 5 years to put good rubber on it! I'm considering changing out my 19" Toyos for a better set of all season tires at only 12,000 miles. It's not that they're terrible, but why wait several years when you could enjoy the car's superior handling while it's still new?

New member here. Wife drives a 2014 CX-5 Touring, the 17" Yokohamas are at 4/32nd tread depth all around and the car just rolled over 20k miles yesterday. Does this seem like abnormally fast wear? Tires are worn evenly, no obvious issues or wear indications that the car is out of alignment or anything. Pretty disappointed, I know OE tires are never the best, but these are just pathetic.

New member here. Wife drives a 2014 CX-5 Touring, the 17" Yokohamas are at 4/32nd tread depth all around and the car just rolled over 20k miles yesterday. Does this seem like abnormally fast wear? Tires are worn evenly, no obvious issues or wear indications that the car is out of alignment or anything. Pretty disappointed, I know OE tires are never the best, but these are just pathetic.

Sounds about normalish... I think 24k-30k is reasonable to expect from the 17" OE tire.

My 2013 2wd was easier on the tires compared to our current 2015 AWD with the same tire and size. In fact at 12K here and tires were just cross-rotated to even out some feathering and road noise, now at 15k and I am hoping to make it 24k miles on these 17" OE Geolanders. I would say the 2.5L larger motor, ~300lb heavier weight, and AWD has accounted for a 15% increase in tire wear.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I sort of hope my OEM Geolander rubber don't last. We swap summer/winter tires so the OEM's now have about 12,000 kms. (7500 miles) and they look like new. But the road noise is VERY loud. So loud that I actually went to the dealer to see if there was something else wrong with the car. Of course got the "deer in the headlight look". Went to a local Yoko dealer, and they agree the tires are noisy, and are not great quality.. FWIW, Yokohama won't even respond to the concern.
Funny part is I noticed when we took the winters off and put the summers back on. Pretty sad when the summer tires ride worse than our Nokian Winter tires.
So I live with it or spend the $$$ on a new set. But you shouldn't have to on a new vehicle.

Back