How long do OEM tires last?

Jcanracer

:
CX5 Sport 6spd
Might sound like a noob question, but just curious to gauge others' experience.
How long did your OEM tires last before you had to replace them?
I have the 17" wheels that came with my sport and about 31,000 miles on the original tires.

Edit: I drive highway most of the time and never off-road or on gravel.

UPDATE:
Since I'm the OP on this one I just wanted to update the thread.
I changed out tires today at 55,545 miles.

Last edited:
With a 280 tread wear rating, I don't expect a long wearing tire but, so far, I'm very pleased with the dry/wet handling and they seem very quiet. In reviewing the tireRack owner responses it seems like CX5 owners are neutral on like/dislike and Toyota owners hate them (seems like a bad choice for Toyota).

Last edited:
I have the 19" OEM Toyo tyres and have about .25mm left to the minimum after 43,500 miles.

Then they should last me a lifetime since I only drive 2500 miles per year.
You've said that twice now. What is the point of spending $30k on a vehicle (especially a mainstream vehicle like the CX-5 and not something more exotic) if you plan on using it so little???

Been there, done that. 5-7 years ago I had 5 cars/SUV and a R1 motorcycle at the same time. It was fun and a good time but I am retired now. Time to save my pennies in my old age.

I have the 19" OEM Toyo tyres and have about .25mm left to the minimum after 43,500 miles.

I can support this. I just turned 40k miles this week, and am just now coming up on the wear bars. I might get another 5-10k out of these.

The new Pirelli 800tw looks tempting as replacements.

I can support this. I just turned 40k miles this week, and am just now coming up on the wear bars. I might get another 5-10k out of these.

Is the level of road noise high or still acceptable?

The "miles" a tire is rated for are the warranty, you get get a lot more out of them if you drive smoothly and avoid anything that might wear them down more than normal. 60-80k per set is quite normal these days. Looks like a few owners will be hitting this mark with their tires. I got 82k put of my last set of goodyears.

Mine are wearing the inside edges quite a bit on the back wheels. Goodyear tech pointed out the spec camber allows up to -2.0 in the back (mine at approx -1.0) which does tilt the top towards the center of the car. Aggressive rotation schedule seems to be the only fix. I have noticed quite a bit of additional road noise as these wear (at 30k) - and wonder if I can get another 30 on these....(boom02)

Mine are wearing the inside edges quite a bit on the back wheels. Goodyear tech pointed out the spec camber allows up to -2.0 in the back (mine at approx -1.0) which does tilt the top towards the center of the car. Aggressive rotation schedule seems to be the only fix. I have noticed quite a bit of additional road noise as these wear (at 30k) - and wonder if I can get another 30 on these....(boom02)
Was your rear toe out of spec? -1 degree camber should not result in inner tire wear. Those of us who have put lowering springs on are more subject to that kind of wear with resulting rear camber generally at the limit of -2 degrees.

Back