2010 CX-9 cabin air blower motor options

Justdave

:
2010 CX-9 FWD
Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks to everyone who has posted useful info here. Posting for posterity.

I am posting because our stealership wanted $1100 to replace our front cabin blower that crapped out months after getting wet (clogged A/C drain). I politely declined and asked for the part (# TD1161B10), they asked for $700. I, again, declined.
After searching online for a few hours, I found prices ranging from $450-700. I still didn't like those options, so I gambled with aftermarket. I purchased a blower from RockAuto made by a automotive HVAC company named Four Seasons (# 75817). It claimed to be a direct fitment and, at only $69 + 20 for overnight shipping, it was only a fraction of the cost of overpriced OEM.

The most important thing is that this aftermarket part works!

Wow great find! There are a lot of aftermarket parts out there that are even superior to OEM. Some people though have been greatly brainwashed by the oem status quo

Thanks

I have a 2008 CX-9 and I had my front blower motor go out. I came up with this thread on this board and decided to try the Four Seasons aftermarket blower and install it myself. I found the blower on Amazon. It was $54.00 and on Prime, so no shipping charge and got it in two days. After 15 minutes I had it on and as the other poster said, it worked perfectly. I got a service quote and the dealership wanted $750.00. So I saved right at $700. Thanks to JustDave for this thread.

Here is the blower motor on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, how often or at how many miles did you usually change your cabin air filter, it at all? before the motor went out?

Just out of curiosity, how often or at how many miles did you usually change your cabin air filter, it at all? before the motor went out?

I change my cabin air filter every second oil change, or about every 10,000 miles. I put a lot of highway miles on my car. Have 159,000 on it now. In all those miles, this is the first problem I have had. Motor went out because my AC evaporator hose got plugged and it caused water to go into the blower motor. Important to keep that drain line open.

It's not the air filter that's the issue, the drain line for the AC condensation gets plugged easily. If you hear a whooshing sound especially when turning, chances are your blower is accumulating water due to no drainage.

I have a 2008 CX-9 and I had my front blower motor go out. I came up with this thread on this board and decided to try the Four Seasons aftermarket blower and install it myself. I found the blower on Amazon. It was $54.00 and on Prime, so no shipping charge and got it in two days. After 15 minutes I had it on and as the other poster said, it worked perfectly. I got a service quote and the dealership wanted $750.00. So I saved right at $700. Thanks to JustDave for this thread.

Here is the blower motor on Amazon...

I might be looking at having to replace my Blower Motor. This sounds like an inexpensive and easy repair, but a lot of folks on Amazon that have purchased these after-market blower motors are complaining of the noise. Did you find this to be noisier than the oem fan motor? BTW - thanks for the link!

I think most owners buy the one from Amazon , one of the reviewers confirmed it fits the CX-9

5.0 out of 5 starsFits 2010 Mazda CX-9
By David Hamilton on January 8, 2014
The cost of the OEM front cabin blower in my CX-9 was a whopping $700, this 75817 blower from Four Seasons was a fraction of the cost at $80 from another site (with next day shipping).

It works just as well as OEM, if not better. The photo shown for this product is of the OEM blower and is different than what you will receive. The photo shows a non-removable white wheel attached to the motor when, in fact, you get a black removable wheel. THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE is the appearance of the electrical plug, and it concerned me upon inspecting it. On the OEM blower the plug is part of the plastic molded housing, on the 75817 the plug hangs away from the housing by the two wires attached to the motor. Rest assured that it will work and connects flawlessly to the socket.

Installation was a breeze and takes 15 minutes to remove the old blower and put the new one in. You only need to remove one panel below the glove box (see owner's manual on replacing cabin air filter) to access the blower. Disconnecting the blower requires you to depress a release on the plug to pull it apart. The only tool needed is a short flat tipped screwdriver (or a hex driver set) to remove the three screws holding the blower in place. Reverse the procedure to reinstall. Easy as pie.
Incidentally, the cause for the bad blower was a clogged condensation drain that backed up and wet the motor. I got it to run for a few months and then it finally crapped out. If you hear a swishing or fluid rushing sound primarily when making left turns, you will also have problems. Clear the clog and avoid this issue.

Back