RX8 loss of power

scottoyitch1

:
rx8 228bhp 2006
Hello. i have recentyly noticed that the extra boost of power at 6 or 7 thousand revs is missing from my rx8. Any ideas why this is please?

It picks back up again after 7,000 RPM? As my spark plugs start to gunk up, my RX-8 struggles more at higher RPM, not feeling as willing to rev as it should. It's not a clear drop off, though. Just gradually happens over a couple of years. Another possibility is the catalytic converter. Is it clogged?

Late to post but it's possibly a stuck intake tuning valve located at the front of the aluminum intake manifold. Depending how it sticks you either lose low end or high end power. Carbon build up in the bore seizes them. The valve runs the entire width of the manifold but is controlled by a vacuum diaphragm at the front of the manifold. You should be able to move the diaphragm shaft it's full stroke easily by hand. If it's stuck the only effective way to repair it is to completely remove it and clean the bore and the bearing bore at the very end. As always though check for correct operation of the ignition system.

Back