Stripped stud on rear motor mount?

slavrenz

:
2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0
I replaced my rear motor mount this weekend, and somehow the ends of one of the studs - the driver's side rear stud - got stripped/bungled (I don't even know how, the nut looked fine when I took it off). Anyways, I cannot seem to get a new nut started on the stud - every time it feels like it's finally going to tighten, I give it another turn, and it pops loose off the stud. The stud is fine below the top 1/8", but that's not a lot of help to me right now.

What are my options here? I assume I cannot just leave the mount tightened to the frame with two nuts, right? It seems that I would want to rethread the stud, but there is no room to get a die down there to cut new threads.

Am I totally screwed, or is there any hope here for a solution that is not going to involve dropping the entire subframe?

Wow, this forum isn't what it used to be, I guess. Nobody has had this issue, or has any ideas in how I can proceed? I would really like to know if there's a way of getting a good angle/access on that stud that I'm not thinking of...

I'd suggest taking out the IM and rethreading it that way. I snapped one of the bolts off my rear mount and still haven't fixed it but doesn't look like it's an easy undertaking, so I would definitely try and get that one straightened out.

I'd suggest taking out the IM and rethreading it that way. I snapped one of the bolts off my rear mount and still haven't fixed it but doesn't look like it's an easy undertaking, so I would definitely try and get that one straightened out.

So have you been driving the vehicle around with only two of the studs? I think this is probably the route I'm going to take, just so I can get enough clearance for the die.

I replaced my rear motor mount this weekend, and somehow the ends of one of the studs - the driver's side rear stud - got stripped/bungled (I don't even know how, the nut looked fine when I took it off). Anyways, I cannot seem to get a new nut started on the stud - every time it feels like it's finally going to tighten, I give it another turn, and it pops loose off the stud. The stud is fine below the top 1/8", but that's not a lot of help to me right now.

What are my options here? I assume I cannot just leave the mount tightened to the frame with two nuts, right? It seems that I would want to rethread the stud, but there is no room to get a die down there to cut new threads.

Am I totally screwed, or is there any hope here for a solution that is not going to involve dropping the entire subframe?

Same thing happened to me with that bolt when I replaced my auto transmission. I just left it that way, two years and 18k so far and no problem.

So have you been driving the vehicle around with only two of the studs? I think this is probably the route I'm going to take, just so I can get enough clearance for the die.

No, I'm in the middle of a rebuild so the engine is out and I'm working on the entire car. I was just saying that it seems to be the easiest route to access the rear mount and fix the bolt.

ive been driving around for a year now with no rear mount at all and im boosted.. i have 2 bolts sheared off in the trans and 1 ear broken off so all i did was replace front and side mounts with stiffer performance mounts

ive been driving around for a year now with no rear mount at all and im boosted.. i have 2 bolts sheared off in the trans and 1 ear broken off so all i did was replace front and side mounts with stiffer performance mounts

(braindead(couch)

smh

to below comment. Period much? Act like your the only person who's pulled a gearbox out or had stud issues. Find a new hobby.

Last edited:
(braindead(couch)

smh
??? Really? let me tell u with my new mounts i get no engine play it sits nice n stiff thru launches and normal driving. before i replaced them i would feel my shifter sink down under acceleration. i would love to have my rear mount also but i dont.. so since im braindead y dont u come out here and 1 remove tranny 2 drill bolts out (cuz i have tried) and 3 reinstall for me. OR (stfu)

Back