Front rotors warped on 2012 CX-9 GT around 10k mile mark???

IgoZoom

:
2012 Mazda CX-9 GT FWD, Crystal White Pearl, Bose/Moonroof
Hey folks,

I began noticing a vibration in the brake pedal in my 2012 CX-9 around 10k miles when applying the brakes at highway speeds. I now have 16k miles on it and the vibration is getting worse.

I have NEVER had brake rotors warp and need to be resurfaced or replaced before the brake pads needed changing on any of my previous vehicles. My 2006 Mazda3 has never even had the front pads replaced or rotors touched and it will be eight years old next month (99k miles)!

Is this a common issue with other CX-9 owners? I'm taking it in for an oil change and tire rotation tomorrow and I'm wondering how much hassle they're going to give me over fixing it?

Thanks!

Mine came that way with 6 miles. I changed the rotors and pads figuring they would just put the same bad parts on and they would warp again. I have to say the brakes are a terrible weak spot on this vehicle. A shame really. They just seem very undersized given the weight of the CX9.

Mine develops pulsing at 65K.
Still on 1st set of brake pads and rotors.
Might need re-surfacing.

There is no such thing as 'warped' rotors.
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths
It very much depends on your brake habits

I brake gradually as I approach a stop and I do not run up behind other vehicles or to stop lights/signs that force me to stop quickly. The only time I stop suddenly is in an emergency or panic situation and that happens very rarely.

I've never had rotors wear and cause vibration with so few miles. Even with 50-60k miles and worn-out brake pads, I've never experienced shudden/vibration like this!

ANYWAY, I took it in for an oil change and tire rotation yesterday and to discuss the brake pedal vibration. Initially, the service advisor offered to 'resurface' the rotors (which will eliminate the vibration for a while, but ultimately makes the rotor thinner and even more likely to be damaged by heat again). After a brief but firm discussion with the Service Manager, the front rotors were replaced with brand new ones.

If/when these rotors suffer the same fate as the original ones, I plan to replace them with higher quality rotors from a third party source. By then the warranty will probably be at or very near expiration anyway. But for now, I'm content.

Yes this is a common issue for CX9, I changed my front brake for 3 times already and now the brake crooked again. I skimmed for many times but that's not gonna solve the problem. So I am finding brembo set, do you guys have any idea?

I developed brake shudder at 8K. I tried the "bedding down" process and it did not work. Despite what is put out on the interweb, there is such thing as warped rotors. Anyhow, I replaced them with Centric premium rotors and ceramic pads. I have 91K on the car and no brake issues. The CX-9 is notorious for having disk brake issues, but not every owner has experienced it.

Hello All,

I had the SAME issue with my rotors (brakes) on a 2012 CX9 GT when it had approx.. 3K Miles (5k KM)!!
I was upset and like others here, thought my rotors were warped.
In truth and in practice however, I will share what I found and hope that this helps others.

The rotors are indeed a problem. The true underlying problem however is "rust"! The rust that is captured "between the rotor and hub" is the real problem.
If after removing your rotor you notice rust accumulation at the mating-surface between rotor and hub....therein lies your problem. Even a modest accumulation of rust in this area will suffice to "throw off" the "square" or warp of the rotor and hence, you will experience "pumping" , "Shudder" or otherwise uneven braking.

My advise to those who have the ability and skill to do so, is to remove the rotors. Then with a rotory metal brush, clean the hub really well; removing all traces of rust on mating surfaces. REMEMBER to add a healthy dose of copper-type lube (Hi-temp , water proof) all over the hub so that "THE SAME PROBLEM" does not recur.

Hope this helps, thank you to those who posted and prompted me to check into this.

BTW I complained to my dealer and was allowed to have the rotors replaced under warranty as my car was less than a year under warranty. Moreover, I was already experiencing poor braking very early (around 3k miles). Problem was worsened when rotors heated up.
I love the CX9 but am less impressed with its brakes.
When warranty expires, I will likely get cross-drilled quality rotors as replacements. I had these on my Toyota Highlander and found them superior to original parts.

Last edited:
through my research I also believe that "warped" is a misnomer.

stoptech is about as good of a source of brake knowledge as you are gonna find and it is not "interweb" wives' tale folklore...

anyway, another thing to consider is the over-tightening of lug nuts. this can cause a rotor to be seated improperly and develop pad deposits. i either do not allow shops to rotate wheels or if they have to take off my wheels (say to mount new tires) i always loosen the lug nuts and re-torque to spec.

too many times i have seen mechanics use air tools and then tighten lug nuts in a circle pattern. just laziness.

it could be that due to a hub, rotor, lugnut, and/or wheel design (or any combination thereof) the cx-9 could be particularly vulnerable to this.

from the police fleet manager publication:

http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=4819

The most mistaken topic in all of police fleet maintenance is the myth that brake pedals pulsate and steering wheels vibrate because of warped rotors. Of course, rotors dont warp from heat to become wavy like potato chips. Rotors dont warpthey wear unevenly.
The problem of pedal vibration, incorrectly called rotor warp, occurs about 4,000 miles after the brake or tire change. Since it is caused by uneven and not heat, you cant solve this wear problem by better control of the heat, i.e., by the use of specially processed rotors or by the use of drilled and slotted rotors. Instead, you solve the wear problem by fixing the shortcuts in rotor installation or the improper lug nut tightening.
But the rotors look wavy. Yes, they appear wavy due to either uneven wear around the swept area (if semi-metallic pads were used) or due to uneven build-up of friction material (if ceramic pads were used).
Do you want proof that it is a wear problem and not a heat problem? Measure the thickness of the rotor at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 oclock position. If the rotor has warped by heat like a potato chip, then the thickness will be the same everywhere. If the rotor has been worn unevenly by intermittent contact with the brake pad, the thickness will be differentyou will find one high spot and one low spot.
Further proof of the fact that uneven wear and not heat is one of the more common solutions. The shim put between the hub and the rotor to fix the problem has one high spot and one low spot! Match the high spot on the shim with the low spot on the rotor, and the problem is solved.
Now that you are looking at the problem as a wear issue, what causes it? The root cause of the uneven wear is one of two things. Either the rotor is out-of-true with the hub, which could be a poorly machined rotor or hub or both. Or the wheel was improperly torqued to the hub during the last tire change.
The last step in a professional brake job includes the use of a dial indicator to measure the total runout of the rotor mounted on the hub. It must be less than 0.002-inch, the OE spec for most vehicles. Two, for each tire and wheel change or rotation, be sure to torque the lugs in a star pattern and be sure to use either a torque wrench or torque sticks. Those two steps will virtually eliminate premature rotor wear, period.

Last edited:
As I mentioned in my posting on 11/07/13, the front rotors were replaced under warranty. Barely five months and 8,000 miles later, the problem is back!!!

I took it to my mechanic this morning. Now, at 24k miles on the pads and only 8k miles on the new rotors, it's obvious that overheating and heat transfer are the problem! I gave him the okay to take it out for a few hard stops from highway speed. He noticed substantial brake fade after a couple of stops, just as I have experienced several times before.

I talked with an independent Mazda repair shop in Atlanta last week about the issue. The owner told me that they've had more than a few CX-9s with the same problem. Most of the ones he has seen have been Grand Touring models, but he isn't sure why that is. He thinks that front rotors on all CX9s are smaller than they should be. He also claims that the redesigned wheels on 2011-up models are more open than on the 2007-2010 models for a reason, but apparently it didn't do the trick....

Anyway, I have decided to order a pair of cross-drilled high-performance front rotors for around $140 and premium ceramic front brake pads for about $70. My mechanic has kindly offered to install the new rotors and brake pads for $50, so the whole thing will cost me about $260. If it gets me at least a few years of reliable, vibration-free and consistent braking performance, it will be money well spent! I'll update you guys once they're installed.

Cross-drilled and slotted will only make it so you can't use a traditional lathe to resurface the rotors. If your problem is fade then you simply need a better pad.

If you do need rotors, the NAPA Ultra-Premium are awesome, they're OEM flatness .002", and have a better venting pattern than the traditional straight-vane rotors. Also they're backed by a decent warranty.

For fading, I would think an upgraded fluid would help. I'd also like to have the link to the upgraded rotors/pads.

I had my rotors replaced before I hit 15k miles. Now I feel it's happening all over again. I've never had this happen with any other car.

Back