front end squeak on '12

eyeballs

:
2012 Mazda 2 Touring SG 5MT
Have been noticing a sqeak (almost like a quiet horn honk) from the front end. Most obvious when letting the clutch out from a stop. Throttle application at low speed will replicate it as well, and occasionally on small bumps. No other symptom besides the noise. Seems to be slowly getting worse. My guess would be a squeaky or slightly loose driveline mount, but I suppose a front suspension bushing could also be the culprit. I have not touched any drivetrain mounts or front suspension components, so I will bring it into the dealer (when time allows) and see what they say. Might as well make use of the warranty. I'll post up any updates.

My miata has a squeak like that also. Mine sounds like a tire spin squeak...I better check on that.

Please let us know what you find.
Thanks

I will bet it's something around the suspension, I am betting the bushings. And I don't think mazda gives a crap and you might still have bushings from a 2010 or earlier in your car. Go to the dealer if still under warranty while you still have time and be insistent. I have a 2010 and you would think they learned about the rear bushings from 2006 etc., but now they did not, the master mech drove the car and told me they were bad without me even mentioning. I originally came in for a bad leaky rear shock. They did both shocks and bushings as the mech could not believe how much noise was coming from the back end. This was at 20 k, now at 40 k everything still sound ok. Mazda makes a van you can get for $20 k, the cheapest kia Sedona is at least $25 k, there is lots of cost cutting involved and it's not a high quality car like a civic. My wife paid $24k for a civic 7 years ago and has not touched a thing, it drives like off the showroom. But she has 1/2 the room, no auto climate, no 17" rims, but engine and parts are built way smarter and easier to work on. I believe that our engines are 2001 technology and low compression, therefore give us crappy gas mileage. Contrary, I would rather have a low stress gas guzzler then the skyactive firework that nobody knows how durable it is, since it's so new. But we shall see. The new mazda3 manifold is a convoluted mess that will be really expensive to fix. What if their engines become these unstable rockets that blow up after a certain mileage? Have they really done enough testing or do they even care? I think the euro spec 13:1 is ridiculous. Audi and BMW had problems with blown high compression engines too. If they can't get the bushings right can they get a new engine right? Bushings are mazda specific, I think ford had their own, they look different from what I can see on a focus for example.

Last edited:
Man, if it turns out to be the bushings, hasn't Mazda learned yet?

I don't think they care. Who knows how many 1000s of squeaky bushings they have in stock that they will use on new 2013s. I have a dipstick that says FOMOCO on my 2010, who knows how old that darn dipstick is? It looks same like a 2005 ford dipstick on my friend'a car, you can swap them if you want.

I don't think they care. Who knows how many 1000s of squeaky bushings they have in stock that they will use on new 2013s. I have a dipstick that says FOMOCO on my 2010, who knows how old that darn dipstick is? It looks same like a 2005 ford dipstick on my friend'a car, you can swap them if you want.

My 2012 dip stick also says FOMOCO.

Exactly my point...

My 2012 dip stick also says FOMOCO.

It's been a long while now since Mazda fully separated from Ford. Then why is your 2012 driving around with a FOMOCO dipstick. Because Mazda has 1000s of parts that they are probably still using as long as they are exactly identical to the parts that will eventually be made when they run out of the old and Ford stuff. I would not doubt it if the Skyactive mazdas possibly have some old parts on them too, but probably not as many as our 5s.

It's been a long while now since Mazda fully separated from Ford. Then why is your 2012 driving around with a FOMOCO dipstick. Because Mazda has 1000s of parts that they are probably still using as long as they are exactly identical to the parts that will eventually be made when they run out of the old and Ford stuff. I would not doubt it if the Skyactive mazdas possibly have some old parts on them too, but probably not as many as our 5s.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I do work in the auto industry and have some insight on this. I guarantee they aren't using Ford-labeled parts because they're "leftovers" - no OEM or supplier keeps that kind of inventory. It is because retooling to remove those little FOMOCO letters costs money, and sometimes lots of money. Someone at Mazda decided the cost to retool the dipstick wasn't worth the thousands of dollars just for the occasional customer who 1) knows what FOMOCO means, and 2) cares that it's on their dipstick.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I do work in the auto industry and have some insight on this. I guarantee they aren't using Ford-labeled parts because they're "leftovers" - no OEM or supplier keeps that kind of inventory. It is because retooling to remove those little FOMOCO letters costs money, and sometimes lots of money. Someone at Mazda decided the cost to retool the dipstick wasn't worth the thousands of dollars just for the occasional customer who 1) knows what FOMOCO means, and 2) cares that it's on their dipstick.

Absolutely. Parts bin sharing = king in manufacturing. Variation is evil.

Finally brought the car in (getting close to 36k miles) and it turns out my guess was right. Its a faulty motor mount and there's actually a TSB for it.

I have the same noise on mine, and also guessed the motor mount :) I'm way out of warranty though.

Since its a TSB I don't think it matters if you're out of warranty. I think.

Generally TSB means that manufacturer is aware of the issue and if this happens you do this to fix.
You are still need to be covered by some warranty.
Out of warranty you might not be charged diagnostic charge, but I still think you need to pay for the repair, it is not like a recall.
Some will cover under "good will" but not 100%, hope they do for you monotone, lets us know how it goes if you take it in.

eyeballs, do you know which engine mount they replaced?

Thanks for the clarification Vasy, I'll call the dealer and find out. Will update.

Back