Drive Belts

:
2007 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Has anyone here replaced either the power steering belt or alternator belt? what is the time frame that these belts should be replaced. If anyone has had this done did you take it to the dealer and if so how much do they charge. If you did it yourself is it an easy job? what is the procedure to replace these belts. All input would be greatly appreciated.

I am planning to do that too once I get my tires and suspensions parts and do power steering fluid too.

Should have a normal tensioner that you loosen with a breaker bar or socket wrench. Factory serpentine belts are typically good until the 100k mile mark.

My husband replaced the belt tensioner recently...we thought it would be easier than it was..he had to get to it from above..no way to get to it from the wheel well. You need to release the belt tension to remove the serpentine belt and it is recommended to replace both at the same time...the belt is ~$20 and the tensioner we purchases was around $55 on line...If the dealer was charging you I would expect them to charge at least $50 in labor.

Do you think he can let us know how he did the job. Does the tensioner have to be removed in order to replace these belts? i was looking at this the other day and i am wondering how he got the tensioner out. He must have had a hard time doing this job. How long did it take him.

Do you think he can let us know how he did the job. Does the tensioner have to be removed in order to replace these belts? i was looking at this the other day and i am wondering how he got the tensioner out. He must have had a hard time doing this job. How long did it take him.

kornholio,

i have replaced a couple of tensioners and serpentine belts. you do not have to do both but they are a relatively inexpensive DIY so i would recommend it. also, a bad belt could be the result of a bad tensioner. tensioners are usually held on with one bolt. usually the hardest part is getting access. the rates mechanic shops charge are crazy expensive. when you see how easy it is you will never have someone else do it again.

just ordered a new tensioner and both belts for my car. After doing a little research it appears you need a stretching tool to get the ps belt off. not a big deal but something you might need to know when you get started. im going pass by autozone and see if i can pick one up.

To the previous poster did you replace the belts yet? how was that power steering belt? I also read that you need a special tool to install this belt as it is a stretch belt. If anyone else has replaced both belts please let us know how you went about this particular job.

I was wondering if anyone here got around to doing the drive belts? also to the poster jennmazda can you tell us how your husband got this done if possible.

I was wondering if anyone here got around to doing the drive belts? also to the poster jennmazda can you tell us how your husband got this done if possible.

Replacing Ac belt is the hard part. You need the belt installer tool. It helps the belt strech a bit so it can slide on the pulley.

I thought that the stretch belt was for the power steering? I saw somewhere that the other belt ( serpentine ) drives everything else including the a/c. Is this correct?

Very glad this topic has been raised.

Went and had an inspection of my serpentine as a result - it is starting to show some minor cracks. 7 years old and 110,000 km. So I guess a bit of age with some heat - not unexpected.

It is now on the to do list.

For those that have changed the stretch belt - can you advise on any stretch belt tools that fit in the space available? Or any alternate method?

Cheers

Last edited:
Done!

I was a little hesitant to try this one - as it could mean getting the car stuck at home if I stuffed it up. So I went slowly......

I noticed the serpentine belt had some small cracks in it. I imagine most would classify it as normal or serviceable, but I do not like to leave these things. It is going on 8 years old. The stretch belt was in good condition - but since there - might as well just do it too.

Not too hard - but I found it fiddly.....possibly as I have never done this before.

How I did it:

All turning of the crank shaft was clockwise and with the electrical off and battery disconnected.

1. Jack car - right front wheel off.

2. Remove plastic splash guard (4 plastic screws)

3. To remove serpentine belt - I simply used a large shifter on the tensioner end to lever to full release (my breaker bar is 1/2" and the hole on the tensioner is 3/8".....placing an adapter to the breaker bar was not possible as the space is too tight) - released tension and flicked it off at the alternator. This was in from the top of bonnet.

4. From bottom - removed serpentine belt.

5. From bottom - Used a gates small stretch belt tool on the stretch belt and a bit of small power cable. Placed the gates tool in between wheel and belt with the cable directly behind it - rotated the crank shaft with a breaker bar whilst pulling cable around belt to side of car. The stretch belt simply popped off with about a quarter turn of pulley. I saved it instead of cutting it off in case I stuffed up!

6. Replacing stretch belt was a pain in the rear - tried using the Gates tool to pop it on. After 45 mins gave up and used 2 x larger zip ties holding belt in place on pulley and simply rotated crank. Popped on and simply snipped ties off as rotated through top of pulley.

7. Replaced the tensioner. 8mm bolts and the space is very tight to work in. 3 bolts - took long time to finally undo - but even longer to put new tensioner and bolts back in. I worked from all angles for this one. - Mazda you owe me a new set of skin for my knuckles $&^&&$&!!!!!

8. From bottom - Placed the serpentine belt back on - started at crankshaft, under tensioner and also under the pulley at front. From top - Had a small loop next to the alternator where I placed a loop of thin electrical cable through the serpentine belt. Used shifter to release the tensioner to full release and used the electrical cable to pull over the alternator pulley. Rotated crankshaft to place electrical cable to position where I could remove it.

9. Rotated crankshaft through a few revolutions to ensure all seated and running properly.

10. Battery back on.

11. Splash guard and wheel back on

12. Off jacks. Start and test run. Tests OK - pack up tools and stop swearing.

Lessons learned - zip ties are my friend! Mazda owes me some skin! Placing car on hoist would make it easier.

Tips - find someone you dislike intently to rip their knuckles apart on the 3 x 8mm tensioner bolts. Allow a few hours to take it slowly if not done before.

Feel free to rip this apart if you can find an easier method.....ie a 3/8" breaker bar would make pulling that tensioner a bit better.

Last edited:
Back