proper spark plug gap

duren03msp

:
2003 mazdaspeed protege
ok to start off, i am slightly confused as to the proper spark plug gap for the MSP. auto parts stores list the gap for the MSP as .044 but many members on here say the gap is .029 - .032. why are these sources different? any assistance appreciated. just want to make sure everything is right i am quite the perfectionist.

ok thanks, why is the gap different from auto parts stores? and i just replaced my plugs a week ago and feels like an occasional misfire but no codes. mainly only noticeable at idle. is there a specific way you know to gap NGK IRIDIUM plugs? or just be very careful? i know the electrode is very easy to break on the IRIDIUMS.

Technically you are not supposed to gap them. A much better plug to use than the OE provided NGK Laser Platinums or Iridiums are the NGK V Power copper plug stock no 4291.

Since its a limited production vehicle there is also going to be a lot of incorrect information. Now its much better than back in 2003 when it comes to parts outlets.

The gap spec I provided is right out of the Mazdaspeed Addendum Manual that came with the car when you purchased it new.

Your occasional misfire is most likely caused by something other than the gap.

yes i see most people like the v power copper plugs. are those by chance 1 step colder? if not do you know a good plug that is 1 step colder? also since the v power plugs come with .044 gap i should gap them to your provided spec?

4291 are the stock heat range and you can gap them with no problem easily.

If you truely need a 1 step colder just make sure its an NGK. Check the sticky for the plug number on here.

ok. i plan to change the plugs to the v-power 4291's tomorrow but when i search for NGK ZFR6F 4291 i only get NGK V-POWER NICKEL. cant seem to find anything that is COPPER. is it the same plug you are referring to?

Just ask for NGK stock no 4291 plugs at the counter. That is the manufacturer's stock number listed on the box. Its a copper plug. Copper plugs provide a better spark, only not as long. BFD, they cost $1.99 each and so what if you have to change them long before the other types of plugs which cost a lot more.

The service interval on the OE type plug is 30K so putting in the higher costs plugs is a waste of money imo. I've been using the VPowers ever since my 3rd spark plug change and have yet to see a reason not to when I take them out and examine them.

any specific thickness of wires that work best? i just want to do everything once and do it right.

sounds good, i'll pick up a set of those too.

now i know this is completely off topic but i've noticed that while driving at night with my lights on at idle the car really starts to vibrate. yes i know protege's have a vibration normally but this is much worse than my 02' ES. even with the lights off i notice it but once i turn them on it is almost like sitting in a massage chair. the previous owner said he replaced the motor mounts with all new CS inserts, but the only ones from CS i've seen are blue and all mine are black. just thinking maybe my alternator is going out or maybe the wiring. any ideas???

It's the low idle to be concerned about, not the vibrations. You likely have an aftermarket solid motor mount or two in addition to the inserts causing the car to shake. The drop in rpm's when you turn on the lights though may be the alternator failing or a weak ground.

i have also been experiencing headlight flicker for example last night i was on the highway and randomly the headlights would dim just a bit for a split second then go back to normal. happened completely randomly. i was not listening to music and dont have aftermarket subwoofers so its not anything like that. my battery is not weak so it should not be putting extra draw on the alternator.

also do notice a quiet ticking coming from engine bay when headlights are on at idle.

Latest posts

Back