RX-8 Shinka smokes like crazy!

zrx8man

:
05 RX8 Shinka
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and new to the RX8. just bought a 2005 with 86K miles on it, It smokes like crazy once you start it up. I got a few questions, before I go ahead an replace the motor, is there something I should check first ? could be an easy fix ? if not, any one knows if I can pull the motor from the top ? all data says everything comes from the bottom! and finally, any one knows of a motor for sale ?thank you all for any advice in advance!

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and new to the RX8. just bought a 2005 with 86K miles on it, It smokes like crazy once you start it up. I got a few questions, before I go ahead an replace the motor, is there something I should check first ? could be an easy fix ? if not, any one knows if I can pull the motor from the top ? all data says everything comes from the bottom! and finally, any one knows of a motor for sale ?thank you all for any advice in advance!

What color is your car paint/interior?
It could be lots of things. You should get a compression test before you do anything, if that is good it's probably your coils/wire/plugs that need replaced.
Motor is pulled out the top (or bottom really). You can get motors from lots of places (you can go buy a reman at Mazda) but you would be better getting it rebuilt as you will know you are getting a good motor with good compression and not another bad compression high/miles one that will crap out on you again. Mazda Reman's are hit or miss. Might be good for 100k, probably will be lucky to get 20k as many of them are junk.

How do I check compression ? is it like a normal motor ? the car is not shinka, for some reason the car fax showed shinka. where do they sell the rebuild kit ?

How do I check compression ? is it like a normal motor ? the car is not shinka, for some reason the car fax showed shinka. where do they sell the rebuild kit ?

If you have to ask you can't do it yourself, you should take it to a mazda dealership. It's not like a normal motor. There are a few places that sell them and they run around $1500 for a quality kit. You should not attempt to rebuild it yourself. You should find an experienced, reputable builder.
Are you in the US? If so what state? If there are no builders locally you would have to ship your motor to them.

If you have to ask you can't do it yourself, you should take it to a mazda dealership. It's not like a normal motor. There are a few places that sell them and they run around $1500 for a quality kit. You should not attempt to rebuild it yourself. You should find an experienced, reputable builder.
Are you in the US? If so what state? If there are no builders locally you would have to ship your motor to them.

I've rebuild a lot of motors before, last one was a 4.6 high performance cobra engine! But I've never worked on rotary engines. How do you check compression and what are the specs ? I'm in dayton OH.

I've rebuild a lot of motors before, last one was a 4.6 high performance cobra engine! But I've never worked on rotary engines. How do you check compression and what are the specs ? I'm in dayton OH.

Seriously you should take it too a mazda dealer if you want a compression test (like I already said). It is not a piston engine. The answers to your questions are all readily available on the internet and that fact that you have not found them already leads me to say again, you should not try to rebuild it yourself. If you still want to do a compression test yourself you need to buy a rotary compression tester for somewhere between $350-$1000 dollars, figure out how to connect/install software on a computer and interpret your results. You can also buy a compression tester from Mazda for about $1600. There isn't a simple answer to your question as it is a math equation relative to the rpm at which the test is performed. It is not like a piston engine, each compartment gives you 3 compression results, one for each rotor face.
If you search the internet you can find how to perform the test with a regular mechanical compression gauge, and with the results you will still have no idea if you have good compression as they are horrifically inaccurate.

As for rebuilding it, the cost of the tools to do so will cost you more than having it done, and that is assuming you know what you are doing, have experience working with rotary engines and don't mess anything up.
If I still haven't convinced you as to why the very existence of this thread is a testimante to why you should not rebuild your engine, then please read this before you go any further in trying your rebuild:
READ ME - Considering Rebuilding Your Engine?

There is also a list of reputable builders at the end of that post. Mazdas247 is also not an active rotary board (not for RX-8's anyways) I'm about the only person that frequents it would seem and I only do it in an effort too help new people. If you were in Maryland I could recommend some local re-builders, but I am not familiar with any in Ohio.

The rotary is he easiest engine you will ever work on. If you've rebuilt a piston pounder, you can remove, rebuild, reinstall a rotary more easily than anything else. I've never personally done it, but just by working on my two cars, I can tell you the 8 is the most straightforward thing you will ever work on. I don't know how to check compression, but I have been told that it must be done with engine at operating temp or else the numbers are no good.

a GOOD/DECENT compression reading would be in the 6.0 range... mid 5's are ok as well but once u start getting into the 4.9's u start to experience the failing nature of these motors. the compression tester is a couple THOUSAND dollars (US) and a standard compression tester would NOT suffice to get an accurate reading. the smoking could be several things... Excessive oil comsumption from the MOP OR a failing seal between the rotor housing and cast iron spacer causing coolant to enter the rotor housing. any other questions, feel free to ask.

im a certified mazda technician and i am the only one in my shop who works on the rx8's

a GOOD/DECENT compression reading would be in the 6.0 range... mid 5's are ok as well but once u start getting into the 4.9's u start to experience the failing nature of these motors. the compression tester is a couple THOUSAND dollars (US) and a standard compression tester would NOT suffice to get an accurate reading. the smoking could be several things... Excessive oil comsumption from the MOP OR a failing seal between the rotor housing and cast iron spacer causing coolant to enter the rotor housing. any other questions, feel free to ask.

im a certified mazda technician and i am the only one in my shop who works on the rx8's

Except that isn't entirely accurate either... The test is supposed to be normalized to 250rpm and sea level, and if that is taken into account a 5 is not a pass. 5 only passes on the low end of the curve graph if the rpms are down to 175 (which they are likely to be on 04-05 with old, already crappy starters).

This is the best graph I have seen for real world accuracy (of course that doesn't mean the dealership will honor it)
197716d1376413007-b%40w-2013-renesiscompressionchart-png

I'm sure that there are some really good Mazda techs out there (and you are probably one of them if you take the time to belong to a Mazda forum like this in addition to driving one) but there aren't any around me, and I have had them mess up my car more than fix it. It's pretty sad when Mazda floods your car even after you explain to them about how it can happen (even though you shouldn't have to).

Except that isn't entirely accurate either... The test is supposed to be normalized to 250rpm and sea level, and if that is taken into account a 5 is not a pass. 5 only passes on the low end of the curve graph if the rpms are down to 175 (which they are likely to be on 04-05 with old, already crappy starters).

This is the best graph I have seen for real world accuracy (of course that doesn't mean the dealership will honor it)
197716d1376413007-b%40w-2013-renesiscompressionchart-png

I'm sure that there are some really good Mazda techs out there (and you are probably one of them if you take the time to belong to a Mazda forum like this in addition to driving one) but there aren't any around me, and I have had them mess up my car more than fix it. It's pretty sad when Mazda floods your car even after you explain to them about how it can happen (even though you shouldn't have to).

Alright guys, thank you all so very much for the input, I actually called the dealer and the car is still under extended warranty! I took it to them and they installed a new motor!! It runs perfect now! sorry for the late response!

I'm sure it needs a motor just like the rest of them. I feel bad for people that buy 8s with bad motors used.

I hope not! its not losing any power at all just thought it was kinda odd for it to be idling so weird

after it warms up the smoke goes away and then its basically normal minus the slight misfire. So i think i am going to do the tune up and try from there. Just a quick ? Is it safe to use seafoam in the gas tank on these motors?

Back