Mazda rx8 key

Birdman_7

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
Hello there,

My wife just got a 2006 rx8, and the Mazda dealer guy said that the signal is weak in the remote, and she needs to get a new one. I'm sure I don't need to remind you guys that it's $177 for the remote, $50 dollars for the key, and $50 to program it, which according to this gentleman is going to take about 3 hours (it's Mock's Ford they don't know much about mazdas)

He said it's weak because the remote is old, because it's the original that came with the car...but it's an 06!!

Does this seem legit? Could the remote be dying? Is there a way to program it myself, or do I have to suck it up and spend the $277?

Thanks for the help
Craig

I don't know RX8's, but on the 3 there is a procedure to 'field program' a remote without having to bring it to the dealership. Probably something similar on the RX8, I just don't know your procedure. Search the internet high and low, or find someone with an FSM to look it up.

Before I'd buy a new remote, I'd try popping the remote apart to change the battery. Afterwards, you may or may not have to reprogram it (the code the remote sends shouldn't change, so the RX8 should remember it and be fine).

Hope that helps a little at least.

I appreciate the help. I will do lots of searches, but as far as I know, the dealership replaced the battery when she went in, that's why he said the signal was weak. Although I still have no problem locking and setting the alarm from inside my house...

I would normally not trust the dealership with regard to something like this, but the problem is that if she sets the alarm and the remote fully dies before she goes out to the car again, we're screwed and the alarm is going to go off when she uses the key to open the door..

change the battery first. its not a mercedes or bmw that would need reprogramming. just pop the remote open down the center and swap the battery. if the issue continues then theres something wrong with the remote's programming or with the little circuit board inside of it probably got wet or something.

If the alarm goes off, and the remote is dead, just open the door, put the key in the ignition, and turn it to the on position. The vehicle security system should read the RFID code from the chip embedded in the key, and cut the alarm. Again, I'm applying 3 knowledge, but how different could it be.

If the remote still works, to Hell with what the dealership thinks. Sounds to me like a part counter guy has a kid he's trying to put through college on your dime.

That's what I figured, I told her to call off the appointment, if the remote becomes an issue then we'll worry about it

Thanks for all the help!

Back