2006 Mazda RX8 engine upgrade build date

RX4FUN

:
Former '80 RX7 Looking 4 RX8
Looking at used 2006 and 2007 RX8's. From what little I know, Mazda made a few improvements to their motor so that it was a little more reliable.

Another site claims that the improvements were for build dates starting with "Mid 2006" . Does anyone know the build dates for the upgrade?

Looking at used 2006 and 2007 RX8's. From what little I know, Mazda made a few improvements to their motor so that it was a little more reliable.

Another site claims that the improvements were for build dates starting with "Mid 2006" . Does anyone know the build dates for the upgrade?

There have been numerous revisions, and changes to various parts, TCB recalls etc. I remember that when I was first looking for and RX-8 I read a bunch of sites that said similar things, and after owning one I think it's totally bogus. They did an important reflash to the ECU around this time (changed Metering oil injector flow rates) as well as a few changes to the Renesis and I believe that may be what they were referring to, but it was available to anyone that owned the car already as well. The second generation RX-8s did have some changes and upgrades to various parts that were found to be lacking in the previous generation.
That having been said IMO it is far more important to find a car that has been well cared for and from someone that knew how to take car of a rotary engine, specifically the Renesis. Also the best advice I could ever offer someone looking to buy an RX-8 is to read and learn as much as you can BEFORE you buy one. You may not even want one. It may not be the car for you. They are not cheap cars. Many people find them not to be reliable cars. I have a 2004 GT 6spd and it is by far the best and most amazing car I have ever owned. I wouldn't trade it for any other car. I love it, but that doesn't mean you will.

It would be helpful to read through this as well:

new-potential-owners-start-here

I have an 04 6 speed car and I am the second owner. I got service history on the car when purchasing it. It had the original engine in it at 64k when I purchased it. At 82k I replaced the engine. It started getting an MIL for a front rotor misfire on cold starts and would smoke. Then began smoking more and more, but nothing spectacular. I knew it was coming, I knew the engine was going out. I knew that the failure rate decreased as production models went. I live 45 minutes from Rotary Resurrection and planned on having the engine rebuilt by Kevin prior to the engine failing completely. I drove my MSP for a couple of weeks and didn't touch the 8. Then I started driving the 8 again. A couple of days later, I lost compression on the front rotor and due to the nature of the beast, knew that the front rotor and rotor housing were probably damaged. I started looking at the cost for rebuild from RR ($1,600) and the warranty (12mo./Unlimited mileage) versus that of a used engine from an 07/08MY car and made the decision to get an engine that had the revisions done. I was able to source a 51k engine from an 07MY car with a 1yr/unlimited mileage warranty for $1775. I am a service manager at a shop and a former technician, so I R&R'd the engine myself in 6.5 hours. There are a few differences in the crankcase ventilation system, but the main difference was within the powertrain management and the volume of oil that is injected into the engine that helped the engines in the later years last longer.

Back