2013 CX-5 Sport or 2014 Forester?

EconoBox

:
2012 Mazda Mazda2 Touring MT
So I am looking to buy pretty much as soon as I make my decision... I just have some concerns about the CX-5. Does the hood and driver's side mirror vibrate on the 2013s? The hood shake is giving me serious cause for concern... And another question... how do you start the CX-5 if the battery in the keyless fob dies? Some tech I just don't want/need (i.e. push button start).

And I love the Forester, too. I will say though that if I could find a damn base Forester in the Jasmine green, I would have bought it already. That color is RIDICULOUSLY difficult to find and they fly off the lots as soon as they come in.

CX-5
  • Smoldering Sexy Good Looks lol
  • Handling/Fun
  • Fuel Economy
  • 6 Speed Manual Transmission

Forester
  • Dorky Looking in a Good Way
  • Jasmine Green Color is Awesome
  • Best in the Biz AWD
  • Fun to Drive Also, Just No CX-5
  • Beige Interior (Important To Me)

And what is a reasonable price below MSRP to pay for the car?

Seems like you're opinion shopping, everyone has their personal preferences, your mileage may vary.

I previously owned a 2004 Subaru WRX Premium, so I test drove the 2012 Outback (4 and 6 cyl) and Forrester Premium -- I liked how they drove, I hated the interiors (since they stopped the LL Bean package, I find the interiors in the high-end models incredible cheap). The new Forrest looks like it ate the Tribeca on it's way out, and is still digesting it.

Ultimately I bought the 2013 CX-5 because because of the technology, the interior, the promised gas mileage, and the positive experience I had with my 2010 Mazda3. I could not have been more wrong, and wouldn't wish the SkyActiv automatic transmission on anymore -- hopefully with the manual transmission you don't have that issue. Anecdotally, the hood/mirror vibration problem doesn't happen to everyone all the time. My hood does occasionally vibrate, my mirrors never do.

If the battery in the FOB dies, you replace the battery or use the backup FOB (unlike my 2010 Mazda3, there is no place to insert the backup key to start it). It will (should?) warn you when the FOB battery is low, so don't ignore that.

As far as reasonable price, I suggest checking Truecar to see what people are paying in your area. Good luck with your new car shopping.

I just have some concerns about the CX-5. Does the hood and driver's side mirror vibrate on the 2013s?

I have a 2013 CX-5 Touring with Technology and Bose/Moonroof packages and the mirrors and hood have not ever vibrated (at least not to any degree that I can see).

And another question... how do you start the CX-5 if the battery in the keyless fob dies? Some tech I just don't want/need (i.e. push button start).

If the battery in the fob dies it will still start the engine merely by using the fob to press the start button. The way this works is rather ingenious - there is a coil surrounding the start button that is energized in order to power the key fob when it's within range (a couple of inches) if the fob battery is dead. The key fob is then able to transmit it's unique code to the vehicle which instantly activates the start button.

I have a 2013 CX-5 Touring with Technology and Bose/Moonroof packages and the mirrors and hood have not ever vibrated (at least not to any degree that I can see).

If the battery in the fob dies it will still start the engine merely by using the fob to press the start button. The way this works is rather ingenious - there is a coil surrounding the start button that is energized in order to power the key fob when it's within range (a couple of inches) if the fob battery is dead. The key fob is then able to transmit it's unique code to the vehicle which instantly activates the start button.

Good info. I figured there was a work around In that situation, but never knew what it would be.

Econobox, I had the same dilemma, put a deposit on the Forester 2.5i premium, but bought the CX-5 after reading the Motor Trend August issue on small sport-utes. Like Motor Trend, I also fell in love with it just the way I fell in love with my 2001 Lexus RX300 below, and the RX is still in the family after 13 years. I am older now and not spending as much on cars anymore so I think I made a good investment. I got the Touring model for $1200 below invoice.

fx83.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 2013 Touring with 13,200 miles on it. No issues with vibrating mirrors, or hood, and I love the transmission, so far at least.

I am also looking at the cx5 and the forester. Some on the Forester site are having some really bad luck.

Honestly,

If your dilemma is between the 2.0 inline-4 and the 2014 Forrester, i would go with the Forrester. You get AWD, and i have never met a person who drove Subaru's who didn't swear by them. I strongly considered the Forrester b/c of the high Consumer Reports ratings but honestly couldn't get past the bland look of the Forrester compared to the sleek CX-5. I don't know if i would even consider the 2014 CX-5 sport. The difference between the 2.5 and 2.0 engine is very significant.

All that said, I've driven a Mazda for the last 15 years (99 Protege, 2010 Mazda 3 Hatchback, 2014 CX-5) and never regretted it for a second. That means a lot to me, but maybe not much to others.

Hi! I'm also undecided between the 2 to replace one of my older cars...a CX-5 2.5L AWD with almost similar package as the GT in the US or a Forester 2.0 Turbo XT.

I like the Forester XT for its very nice power delivery, big windows, and rugged exterior looks. But I find its leather seats slippery as it lack support and do not like not having parking sensors.

The CX-5's interior dash layout is nicer in my opinion and has pretty much everything I look for in a CUV.

Another bonus is that the CX-5 costs around $6,000 less in my country (37,000 vs 43,000) plus Mazda here is offering a 3-yr free maintenance promotion.

Both CUV's fall within my budget and I'm still thinking whether the Forester XT is worth the higher price mainly due to the extra power and premium Subaru image in my market which can affect resale later on.

I was looking at this exact same comparison when I was in the market for a new car. In the end I picked the CX-5 purely because I am in no way a fan of the CVT transmissions. I understand they help with mpg, but imo they feel awkward and noisy to drive.

Hi! I'm also undecided between the 2 to replace one of my older cars...a CX-5 2.5L AWD with almost similar package as the GT in the US or a Forester 2.0 Turbo XT.

I like the Forester XT for its very nice power delivery, big windows, and rugged exterior looks. But I find its leather seats slippery as it lack support and do not like not having parking sensors.

The CX-5's interior dash layout is nicer in my opinion and has pretty much everything I look for in a CUV.

You're making it way too hard. It's really quite simple - if you're lesbian, get the Subie, otherwise get the CX-5, LOL!

Am curious what experience the second poster has had with his transmission that makes him wary of recommending it? I don't 'love' the tranny in my new CX-5, but I've had worse for sure!

Take a look at this thread too:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...g-my-Mazda-CX-5-for-a-2014-Subaru-Forester-XT

I would not characterize the Forester is 'fun to drive'. At most, adequate. I stayed away because of oil consumption issue, which some owners have.
I hear there are several first year issues which plague owners.

Note that Subaru AWD is not all the same. The AT version is very similar to all other AWD systems out there. The Manual transmission version is different and I can understand why some can say it is better, at least at some aspects. No version has 'low' setting nor locking differential and all use electronic nannies. The AT version is mostly FWD but changing constantly.
That said, it seems the Subaru electronic nannies are better overall. X-Mode keeps even a tighter control over wheel-spin in low traction.

We looked at the Scoobie in addition to the CX-5 (and others). I didn't like the CVT in the Forester. Too 'drone-y', which is a trait of CVT's in general, as they jump up to a certain rev point and stay there while you accelerate. I also felt like the gas pedal was a hair-trigger and not linear - it jumps out at first, then you have to press down harder to get more acceleration. I guess you'd get used to that, but I like more linearity in my controls.... The visibility out was great, thought, lots of glass area. My wife felt like it was just a shrunken minivan, however, and wanted something a little more stylish.

Dan D

Back