2015 Mazda CX-5?

Traded in my 89 Probe GT for the CX-5. Reliability of the probe is one of the reasons I like Mazda. Probably one of the best cars I owned, never had a repair over $100. Replacement parts became a problem, couldn't even find brake pads locally anymore. Gaskets started drying out though, leaving oil stains wherever I parked.

Depreciation is brand-specific, really.

No. it isn't. All cars depreciate, obviously, it varies among brands. However, all cars do depreciate. If you buy a '14, you will see one year's worth of depreciation as soon aas you drive off the lot. That amount of depreciation will likely be more than whatever discount you get. In that case, you are better off with a '15.
Say you will keep the car for 5 years, won't make a difference?
When I was a claims adjuster, I totalled out a few cars that were crashed or stolen with very few miles and the owners were upset that I didn't give more for settlement. Sorry, but I used the guide book (I think it was NADA) and told them a spiel similar to what I posted here.

Mazda has a great certified pre-owned program now. 48k bumper to bumper warranty and 100k power train. If you're not picky about color and specific options it is a great way to get around that first year depreciation. I just picked up a 2013 CX9 with 20,000 miles. Aside from a few minor scratches on the door (which I'll end up getting anyway) and a mark on the headliner it is basically a new car with a massive discount and better warranty.

katman: Points taken. No arguments there.

But... Gap coverage is $8 a month for a fully loaded CX-5. Market values aside, the potential cost of an idiot hitting me is negligible, provided I don't die. I'll file a claim and get my $500 back.

Don't know what company you worked for, but my insurance gives great values. Ex. $12K for an '07 Pontiac G5 totalled by my ex-wife in 2013 with 30K miles. Plus, if your loan's already paid off, a cash settlement is a cash settlement. I know my local adjusters give good values. And no, I wouldn't use a dollar of that for a down payment on a new car. Now that would be a waste...

Just test drove 2015 Grand Touring with Tech. We did not like it really. Then we drove 2014.5 Touring and ended up getting it.

No, the USB hasn't been fixed with 2014.5 but I much prefer the shifter now.

Just test drove 2015 Grand Touring with Tech. We did not like it really. Then we drove 2014.5 Touring and ended up getting it.

No, the USB hasn't been fixed with 2014.5 but I much prefer the shifter now.

That's odd, didn't like the rougher ride of the 19" rims?

The shifter is a major selling point. I don't get the whole staggered thing. I'm sure there are some reason for it, some of them anti-dummy, but still...

That's odd, didn't like the rougher ride of the 19" rims?

It just drove weird/off. It is hard to describe as this is subjective, I guess. 19" might have something to do with it. I even brought my pressure gauge and set up proper PSI on all tires.

The GT we drove had this huge 'homelink' mirror installed. It made the cabin very crowded. Wife noticed that too.

This is my 4th CX-5 now and I know how they should drive (YMMV of course). 2014.5 Touring with new shifter, Bose and moonroof did the trick.

The only thing I'd like to have would be auto A/C with GT only has. Also, they still had 0.9% APR on 14.5 which was nice.

I think the stock 19"s might not have been balanced right, if ever. I've seen wheel weights on every other new car with alloys i've bought, but not this one - unless they're hidden.

The only catch with climate control is when you DON'T want to use it. If one day is much warmer than the last, you'll need to momentarily turn it on, adjust the temp, and turn it off again. If not, the fresh air wafting into the cabin will be at the set temp you last put in. So, if it's 55 and sunny, and your last set cabin temp was 73, you'll likely need to set it down near 65 and shut it off. Otherwise it will get hot and stuffy. Also, popping the sunroof can help some of that heat escape.

Back