2015 Mazda CX-5?

IMHO there will be no substantial changes, except maybe the Diesel engine option.
They may bring the i-ELoop and maybe the start-stop system. Before the 14' was formally announced, I was contemplating to get the Diesel. With price uncertainty and with DPF filter oil-rise issue, surprise of the 2.5L engine, I decided to play it safe and take the 2.5L. If all choices were available at the time of my purchase, I would lean towards getting the i-ELoop but not the start-stop. If there was no oil-rise issue, I would have preferred the Diesel, depending on the price premium.
I would not care about most other options/features to delay my decision.

BTW, the diesel dilution problems were due to improper usage by owners. Predominately driving short distances. It is an issue with any modern clean diesel including VW/Audi's TDI, BMW's 3.0L TT Diesel, and Merc's BluTec. Also Mazda has updated the DPF software burn off sooner and to be less sensitive with warning light trigger.

Mazda announced i-Eloop will be available on 2014 6, only on GT with Tech package along with grille shutters.
It will boost avg MPG by 2 to 40/28, which is very impressive. I wonder what it can do to the CX-5 and 3.
Shame it is only on fully loaded trim, should have been an independent option.

Un true, many owners with oil rise problems were doing mainly motorway miles.
Lots of posts to that effect on whirlpool.

BTW, the diesel dilution problems were due to improper usage by owners. Predominately driving short distances. It is an issue with any modern clean diesel including VW/Audi's TDI, BMW's 3.0L TT Diesel, and Merc's BluTec. Also Mazda has updated the DPF software burn off sooner and to be less sensitive with warning light trigger.

I just want AWD with a stick shift ... and leather ... and the 2.5L! I'll hold onto my MS6 until they get their act in gear...or I will (gasp) have to buy outside the family.

If they put that infotainment system, manual, HUD, and diesel in 2015....i will soooooo be trading in my 2013 CX-5 AWD Touring

My current VW lease will expire in 2015. So many Mazda products for me to choose from then.

Mazda 6: Seen one dropped with 20's. Oozing with style, class, and performance.

Mazda 3 hatch or sedan: With full skyactiv suite and the 2.5L motor it should be faster and a bit more nimble than a Mazda 6.

Mazda 2: Reviews reminds me of my old CRX si only with 4 doors and seats in the back and updated technology features. A perfect Daily driver. Oh and thats without Skyactiv tech. Can only imagine the next Mazda2 with Skyactiv.

I really hope the crappy old nav/infotainment system can be upgraded with the new aha system. Probably unlikely though :(

either way I wouldnt count on seeing the official 2015 until 3Q 2014. Perhaps would get some rolling changes or a 2014.5 in late 2013/early 2014

I was talking to the General Manager at the Mazda dealership I used to work for. For what it's worth, he said, as of now, Mazda has no plans to bring the diesel option to America. He went on to say that the CX-5 is out selling the 3. He said they'll have to see how America accepts the diesel option in the 6, before adding it to another model sold in America. The CX-5 is selling so well, now, that they would more than likely wait.

I want a 2.5L MT-6....

I have been lurking the forums for some time, researching the CX-5. I have been driving manuals for many years and until recently, I could find a reasonably well-equipped vehicle with a manual. For instance, I owned a loaded Frontier 4x4 SE V6 manual with cruise and all the goodies. It seems now that the manufacturers think manuals are for color-blind peasants only (e.g. - CX-5 Sport in black/grey/silver and limited options). I would love to purchase a CX-5 2.5 MT-6. I have been holding out, keeping my aging vehicle going until I find something I like. If I had to buy today, I would have to determine if I would buy the CX-5 Sport MT-6 (2.0L) or a Forester 2.5i Premium. If I cave in (not likely) and go with a non-stick, it won't be either of these brands as the dealerships for both are sparse in my location.

So, am I wasting my time waiting on a CX-5 6-speed manual in any flavor other than base?

Looking at the Mazda 3 satnav, personally I think it looks a total balls up.

It sticks up looking totally out of place, much like a portable, prefer my nav to look like its built in, part of the dash, not a after thought.

Looking at the Mazda 3 satnav, personally I think it looks a total balls up.

It sticks up looking totally out of place, much like a portable, prefer my nav to look like its built in, part of the dash, not a after thought.

Wholly agree, it's just inviting a thief to break into the car.

Also (call me old fashioned), I don't care for digital speedometers, much prefer analogue speedo and tacho.

If your lucky the 2015 model will get the memory seats and adaptive cruise control from the Mazda 6.
This is IMO the only thing my `13 CX-5 is missing...

I have been lurking the forums for some time, researching the CX-5. I have been driving manuals for many years and until recently, I could find a reasonably well-equipped vehicle with a manual. For instance, I owned a loaded Frontier 4x4 SE V6 manual with cruise and all the goodies. It seems now that the manufacturers think manuals are for color-blind peasants only (e.g. - CX-5 Sport in black/grey/silver and limited options). I would love to purchase a CX-5 2.5 MT-6. I have been holding out, keeping my aging vehicle going until I find something I like. If I had to buy today, I would have to determine if I would buy the CX-5 Sport MT-6 (2.0L) or a Forester 2.5i Premium. If I cave in (not likely) and go with a non-stick, it won't be either of these brands as the dealerships for both are sparse in my location.

So, am I wasting my time waiting on a CX-5 6-speed manual in any flavor other than base?
Hi RG, I'm in the same boat as you. Find your way over to MazdaUSA's website and send them an email. Tell them you are interested in more options with the manual transmission. I did that and got a response saying they would take it under consideration. If more people make the request, they may figure out it is in their best interest to offer more options in stick. The color limitations are absolutely ridiculous. People who buy manual transmissions these days are "drivers". They like their cars sporty and fun. If you're going to offer a CX-5 with a manual transmission at all, it should be the largest motor in the brightest color! When it comes to the CX-5 there are just too many strikes against it all due to Mazda's refusal to offer a stick shift. Color, engine size, drivetrain (no awd with stick), and option packages basically set the manual version back about a decade.

If your lucky the 2015 model will get the memory seats and adaptive cruise control from the Mazda 6.
This is IMO the only thing my `13 CX-5 is missing...

In the Uk on the 6 the memory seats are fitted, but the radar cruise control is a option.

Hi RG, I'm in the same boat as you. Find your way over to MazdaUSA's website and send them an email. Tell them you are interested in more options with the manual transmission.

Done. Thanks, I'll follow-up if they respond.

Hi RG, I'm in the same boat as you. Find your way over to MazdaUSA's website and send them an email. Tell them you are interested in more options with the manual transmission. I did that and got a response saying they would take it under consideration. If more people make the request, they may figure out it is in their best interest to offer more options in stick. The color limitations are absolutely ridiculous. People who buy manual transmissions these days are "drivers". They like their cars sporty and fun. If you're going to offer a CX-5 with a manual transmission at all, it should be the largest motor in the brightest color! When it comes to the CX-5 there are just too many strikes against it all due to Mazda's refusal to offer a stick shift. Color, engine size, drivetrain (no awd with stick), and option packages basically set the manual version back about a decade.

But this is capitalism working as it should be. It is just not economically feasible to produce a car with little demand or offer it with the same choice of options.

Last edited:
I could understand not mass producing them with these options, but allowing a customer to special order one should still be on the table. I am a loyal customer. I drive stick. I'd be willing to pay MSRP for the right vehicle. If it were just the color, or just the AWD, or just the interior options that I had to sacrifice I might make an exception. However all of those short comings add up to a vehicle I simply don't want to own. I hate to say this but that probably means I won't be buying a Mazda as my next vehicle.

I could understand not mass producing them with these options, but allowing a customer to special order one should still be on the table. I am a loyal customer. I drive stick. I'd be willing to pay MSRP for the right vehicle. If it were just the color, or just the AWD, or just the interior options that I had to sacrifice I might make an exception. However all of those short comings add up to a vehicle I simply don't want to own. I hate to say this but that probably means I won't be buying a Mazda as my next vehicle.

I agree with your post 100%. I have sacrificed some options to drive a manual in the past, adding aftermarket leather seat covers, audio/bluetooth, compass mirrors etc. to get the vehicle closer to the way I wanted it. I was okay with this previously as I did not keep my vehicles as long. Now I am willing to pay more to get what I want, but a manual is in the mix. Mazda was traditionally a place to shop if you were an enthusiast (i.e. Zoom - Zoom), and part of that was offering manuals up the line. If they have abandoned that, then they should sing another tune.

Back