2015 Mazda CX-5?

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
Thinking about trading in my 2007 CX7 on a CX5 2.5L. I would like to hold off for the 2015 model year. Any good guesses when the CX5s might hit the dealers? Ed Hayes

Probably February of 2014 at the earliest. They might make the 2014 model year last a little longer than that though due to rushing it out with the bigger engine.

^ This. I'm sure they will make subtle mid-cycle changes. Don't expect anything more than just updates on aesthetic trim pieces, infotainment system (adapting revised one in the new Mazda3), heads up display, and of course the diesel will be arriving in the states.

OP: You mean the 2015 model that's really a 2014? Or a 2015 they'll no doubt call a 2016? And why didn't they just call the 2014 a 2013.5?!

IMHO there will be no substantial changes, except maybe the Diesel engine option.
They may bring the i-ELoop and maybe the start-stop system. Before the 14' was formally announced, I was contemplating to get the Diesel. With price uncertainty and with DPF filter oil-rise issue, surprise of the 2.5L engine, I decided to play it safe and take the 2.5L. If all choices were available at the time of my purchase, I would lean towards getting the i-ELoop but not the start-stop. If there was no oil-rise issue, I would have preferred the Diesel, depending on the price premium.
I would not care about most other options/features to delay my decision.

I agree that the diesel is not an option until they get the fuel dilution issue re-engineered. I am only interested in the 2.5L gas and didn't want to purchase a 2014 2.5L and have a 2015 MY come out in a few months. I would also expect some of the minor issues to be resolved with later Vin #s. Ed

^ This. I'm sure they will make subtle mid-cycle changes. Don't expect anything more than just updates on aesthetic trim pieces, infotainment system (adapting revised one in the new Mazda3), heads up display, and of course the diesel will be arriving in the states.

I could live without the heads up display (even though its cool) but if they do update the infotainment unit I wonder how easy the swap would be.

I could live without the heads up display (even though its cool) but if they do update the infotainment unit I wonder how easy the swap would be.

I am really hoping that if it gets the new infotainment/nav is added to the CX-5, that it can be added. Doubt the 15 CX-5 will get the heads up display.

I am only interested in the 2.5L gas and didn't want to purchase a 2014 2.5L and have a 2015 MY come out in a few months. I would also expect some of the minor issues to be resolved with later Vin #s. Ed

That just doesn't make sense.
No matter what model year car you buy, there is always going to be a new model year coming out sometime in the future.

If you knew for a fact that the next version of the car was coming out with something specific that you wanted (like diesel engine option, or a manual transmission option for higher trim levels), then I could understand wanting to wait.

But if the car they offer right now has exactly what you want, exactly what are you waiting for?

BC.

Sometimes if you wait too long a price increase comes along. (eek2)

Bought a CX-5 GT this week in Canada and my dealer said that the 2014 will stay for most of 2014. But, in September, the AT shifter will be changed for the 2014. Will it be more like the 6 (chrome trim) or like the new 3 (leather) ? Don't know!

I think Mazda made a VERY conscious decision by coming out with 2014 vs 2013.5. First, a new engine is a major upgrade warranting a new model year nameplate. In marketing, seeing a new model year in adverts and in showrooms gets customers asking what is "new" in that model. The lack of power was the only major negative on almost all test drives in auto magazine reviews for the 2013 MY. And the 2.5L has proven an extremely successful upgrade in terms of sales. Moving forward, I think Mazda also learned a major lesson with styling changes that are too radical, that is, the "smiley face" on the Mazda3 and to a lesser extent on CX-7 and CX-9. It is wise (sales-wise) for Mazda to think "if it ain't broke, why fix it" for ANY major changes whatsoever. So, perhaps some bug fixes and minor trim changes prior to 2015 MYC, but not much else. Since it's definitely a long period of time til the 2015 MY, Mazda might introduce it a few months early. This will give Mazda time to evaluate the diesel sales on Mazda6 and perhaps that MIGHT be the only major change for 2015, except for interior trim and minor, minor exterior changes. Just my $.02

I agree, and in fact the only change truly required is to simply change out the NAV with something else. A panoramic sunroof would be nice, too, but one can dream.

I can guarantee you that we will definitely getting the "Aha" infotainment software made by Harmon Kardon. It is already adapted into the new up coming Mazda3 and will include various apps such as Facebook, Twitter, Yelp, Pandora, etc etc. Couldn't care less about FB and Yelp, but any change at this point is better than the turd Sanyo/TomTom system in current gen of Mazda products.

I can guarantee you that we will definitely getting the "Aha" infotainment software made by Harmon Kardon. It is already adapted into the new up coming Mazda3 and will include various apps such as Facebook, Twitter, Yelp, Pandora, etc etc. Couldn't care less about FB and Yelp, but any change at this point is better than the turd Sanyo/TomTom system in current gen of Mazda products.

This is great news. If you can disclose it, will this be a 2015+ only kind of thing (whole new headunit design that is incompatible with ours), or will they be doing a dealer level reprograming of the entertainment module when cars are brought in for service, akin to Sync 2.0.

I am hoping MY2015 begins by 2Q2014 although more likely it will be 3Q or later. It seems like the diesel probably won't happen until a new MY, if it is to happen at all. For all of the articles written on the 6 then again with the 3, most continually refer to the diesel starting in the 6 and spreading to at least the CX-5. Mr. O'Sullivan (Mazda USA CEO) said Mazda was considering it for the 3, and it seems the CX-5 would get it at least at the same time if not before since it would be a segment exclusive.

I'm trying to be patient and am even coming to terms with the fact it will almost certainly be auto only, but I don't know that I'll wait until CY2015 for a new car. Let's go Mazda--make the diesel CUV leap!

This is great news. If you can disclose it, will this be a 2015+ only kind of thing (whole new headunit design that is incompatible with ours), or will they be doing a dealer level reprograming of the entertainment module when cars are brought in for service, akin to Sync 2.0.

Cannot disclose it as it was mentioned by a little "connection" with Mazda insider press release kit associated with the new upcoming Mazda3 (how do you think I was able to get all the hundreds of Mazda SkyActiv TSB bulletins posted :) ). The head unit will be completely different, along with the center console commander unit. Software/coding is obviously entirely different as well.

A little sneak peak at the Mazda3 infotainment system. It will be very closely related to the update of the 6 and CX-5 as most of their components are interchangeable.

Yes you do see a heads up display that flips up over the gauge. Displays basic needs like speedo and navi directions. I cannot say that this will be adapted to the 2015 CX-5 and 6 (yet).

Attachments

• New-2014-Mazda3-Sedan-5[1].jpg
    New-2014-Mazda3-Sedan-5[1].jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,478
  • New-2014-Mazda3-Sedan-6[1].jpg
    New-2014-Mazda3-Sedan-6[1].jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,356
Last edited:
Back