Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 / 2016 Mazdaspeed3?

Registered Member

2009 Mazda 3 iTouring

Quote Originally Posted by Mazdafreak16 View Post
    Have you never learned, or is there another reason you can't drive a stick?
    Well I know how to drive stick but I'm not good at it. I live in Los Angeles, the drivers here tailgate and at lights literally are on the ass sometimes (i'm sure it's like that in other states and cities), but to risk rolling back just slightly while trying to start will probably make me tap the car behind me.

Registered Member

2007 Mazda 5 GT 5MT

The 2014 Mazda 3 will come standard with hill start assist! No excuses!

Drivers are supposed to be able to see the tires of the car in front of them when they come to a stop. If they're stopped too close, that's their fault.

I can't fathom not wanting to drive stick anymore. Even through the worst of traffic, I prefer stick.
    2012 Mazda 3 GS-Sky 6MT Previously: 2007 Mazda 5 GT 5MT

Registered Member

2002 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
    I can't fathom not wanting to drive stick anymore. Even through the worst of traffic, I prefer stick.
    I am a life-long manual guy as well, but having now lived in LA for 3 years I will say it is the ONLY place I would consider an auto. There are traffic jams that literally go on for hours at a time, and the bucking of a manual (especially in my Protege) can just get annoying. LA is just a different place to drive (not in a good way, in my opinion).

I've always dreamed of a manumatic that has an actual gear lever you can row instead of flappy paddles behind the steering wheel.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by ijbrekke View Post
    I am a life-long manual guy as well, but having now lived in LA for 3 years I will say it is the ONLY place I would consider an auto. There are traffic jams that literally go on for hours at a time, and the bucking of a manual (especially in my Protege) can just get annoying. LA is just a different place to drive (not in a good way, in my opinion).

I've always dreamed of a manumatic that has an actual gear lever you can row instead of flappy paddles behind the steering wheel.
    I love living in LA but good god the traffic is hell. I'm still considering the 3 s Touring along with a couple others, just waiting to test drive now. If a MS3 with an automatic came though I'm all game for it. Surely if they use the 2.5 as the basis, they can tune it to use premium gas up to a 14:1 compression ratio and eek out 230hp or more without a turbo. How much torque will it have is my only question.
    Last edited by LH451; 08-08-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Registered Member

2009 Mazda 3 iTouring

I'm so glad other people from LA understand me. Seriously, we are ranked high up there in worst traffic. Unless people have either lived here or stayed long enough to deal with the daily traffic they wouldn't understand how manual. Plus most LA drivers really do suck at driving in traffic, they are literally humping you with their cars lol. Sometimes on slanted streets (not very much of a hill) my auto will even roll back and i gotta slam on the gas cause the car behind me is going forward already instead of waiting for me to take off. No, I will not move either, I've lived in the vicinity my whole life .

2014 Mazda3 s Grand Touring hatch (10/13)

Quote Originally Posted by LH451 View Post
    I love living in LA but good god the traffic is hell. I'm still considering the 3 s Touring along with a couple others, just waiting to test drive now. If a MS3 with an automatic came though I'm all game for it. Surely if they use the 2.5 as the basis, they can tune it to use premium gas up to a 14:1 compression ratio and eek out 230hp or more without a turbo. How much torque will it have is my only question.
    If they can eek out 230 HP through revs, all I ask is that they maintain the 180 lb-ft of torque that it already has.
    Former 2004 Mazda3 s Velocity Red hatch owner.
    Current 2014 Mazda3 s GT Soul Red hatch owner.
    Join the 2014 Mazda3 Facebook Fan Page

Registered Member

They really should keep the torque where its at or if they can add 15-20 lb ft more that wouldn't hurt either. Its gotta be just a couple tweaks of the ECU to give the 2.5 more power in addition to tuning it for 91 and increasing compression ratio to 14:1.

Registered Member

They really should keep the torque where its at or if they can add 15-20 lb ft more that wouldn't hurt either. Its gotta be just a couple tweaks of the ECU to give the 2.5 more power in addition to tuning it for 91 and increasing compression ratio to 14:1.

On another note, LA traffic is insanity, going through downtown gets irritating on a daily basis and thats coming from someone whose lived here for over a decade lol

Registered Member

Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 GT

Quote Originally Posted by ShabiquaLaquifa View Post
    I'm so glad other people from LA understand me. Seriously, we are ranked high up there in worst traffic. Unless people have either lived here or stayed long enough to deal with the daily traffic they wouldn't understand how manual. Plus most LA drivers really do suck at driving in traffic, they are literally humping you with their cars lol. Sometimes on slanted streets (not very much of a hill) my auto will even roll back and i gotta slam on the gas cause the car behind me is going forward already instead of waiting for me to take off. No, I will not move either, I've lived in the vicinity my whole life .

Ya I know exactly what you're talking about. I was raised in LA and I drove my speed 3 down there and I got stuck in traffic so I'm like screw this lol I'm going back to Washington and I don't really want to go back to LA. Terrible drivers.

As far as this 3rd Gen Mazdaspeed 3, I feel it would be one of 2 conclusions. The first being, the new MS3 will be be normally aspirated with room left for improvement or two, a true 'game changer' with a 2.0L SA turbo or a version of the 2.2L turbo-diesel being currently raced. It has been very quiet about the MS3, so that could be a good sign that Mazda wants to get this right the first time. Mazda races and wins with all the cars they manufacture,eventually the tech trickles down to street cars. If Mazda decides to keep FWD with increased power, they need a better mechanical system to minimize torque steer. We know AWD is not an option.
    2012 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Velocity Red Mica w/ Tech Package
    HyperTech Tune / Corksport Max Flow HPFP Internals / SURE Full3 Aeros / Cp-e TMIC / Denso Iridium ITV22 Plugs / CorkSport 80 mm CBE / CorkSport Catted Racepipe / Cp-e Stage 2 RMM / CorkSport LED Kit / CorkSport BPV / Eibach Springs / James Barone Racing RSB / Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric A/S Tires(225/40/ZR18 92Y) / Depo Racing Boost Gauge / VG Shark Fin Antenna

Why is AWD not an option? They have a very good AWD system in the CX-5, and AWD will certainly help to put the power down much more efficiently. Given all the torque a turbodiesel would generate, I would think AWD would be a big advantage.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Quote Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
    Why is AWD not an option? They have a very good AWD system in the CX-5, and AWD will certainly help to put the power down much more efficiently. Given all the torque a turbodiesel would generate, I would think AWD would be a big advantage.
    An AWD system would change the price point and Mazda is still apprehensive after the MS6. Personally, I think the 2.2L turbo diesel with AWD would be the way to go. 275-300 hp and about 325-350 ft. lbs. of torque, would be a real game changer. But, I believe Mazda wants to keep it FWD, because they don't really have the development dollars. Mazda needs a new partner, to help offset development costs.
    Last edited by boosted1; 08-11-2013 at 05:55 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
    AWD will also place it as a competitor to the STI and evo, both fairly loyal followings.
    Drag racing is for fast cars, autocross is for fast drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by damn potholes View Post
    AWD will also place it as a competitor to the STI and evo, both fairly loyal followings.
    Been to NASIOC lately? The WRX guys are ready to revolt because the next WRX isn't going to look just like the concept they showed in NYC. And Mitsubishi's going nowhere lately, except maybe "away." Sounds like a good opportunity to pick up some new customers.

93 VW Eurovan 5 speed manual

Quote Originally Posted by ShabiquaLaquifa View Post
    Well I know how to drive stick but I'm not good at it. I live in Los Angeles, the drivers here tailgate and at lights literally are on the ass sometimes (i'm sure it's like that in other states and cities), but to risk rolling back just slightly while trying to start will probably make me tap the car behind me.
    Oops - didn't get an email and didn't see your response. Not sure how that happened.

It takes practice to learn to drive a manual gracefully, and LA probably isn't the greatest city to practice in. In Raleigh, where I live, there are a lot of hills (and a fair amount of traffic at rush hour) but I guess it's tolerable. When I am in Charlotte, though, there is a lot more traffic, and I can see why some people go for the automatic (although there aren't nearly the amount of hills in Charlotte).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast