2015 / 2016 Mazdaspeed3?

Mazdafreak16

:
93 VW Eurovan 5 speed manual
Hey all,

This came across on autoblog.com earlier today. It's a rendering, done by Theo Chin / Chris Doane Automotive of the next Mazdaspeed3. Looks absolutely insane, thought everyone would like to see.

yWPWnIX.jpg

All credits go to autoblog.com

Waiting patiently for one. I have confidence they will make it. The current MS3 continues to sell. It may take a few years though, Mazda R&D is a bit poor so it cannot have multiple model launches close to each other like Nissan or others...:)

Last edited:
I'm still not sure if they can even reliably turbocharge a SkyActiv-G engine. We may be a bit disappointed by the powertrain that ends up in a Mazdaspeed version.

This just popped up on another forum I visit!

Apparently, High revving NA 2.0litre Speed3

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1085515_new-mazdaspeed-3-in-the-works-report

So they're looking to go the way Honda went with the VTEC hi-po stuff? 9000 RPM redline screamers? I can go along with that. SkyActiv-G is all high-compression, difficult to force feed, if not impossible, plus the 4-2-1 header would make it tricky to mount a turbo anyway.

High-revvers are probably apt to work out better. I'm on board. :)

If this report of a naturally aspirated 2.0L SkyActive is true, my current MS3 will be the last. It's turbo or sayonara!

Why don't they just put the 2.2 diesel with nice performance upgrades. 230hp, 320lbs/ft of torque! If Mazda wants to differentiate their Speed3, don't go high-revving NA 2.0, go diesel!

I think the next Mazdaspeed3 may have a supercharged SkyActiv engine. Mazda says the SkyActiv engines don't accept turbos very well, and 200 hp seems low (unless they get the torque way up there). Mazda seems to know what they are doing though, so hopefully they've got it all figured out.

@boosted1
I think a lot of people might agree with you.

@2.0_Mazda
This I think would be awesome. Definitely the route I would go, even better, Diesel with Turbo? Or just Diesel.

@Mazdafreak16
Supercharged, interesting. That would be the first time for Mazda, unless my history fails me.

Mazda Millenia S was a Supercharged Miller Cycle V6

@boosted1
I think a lot of people might agree with you.

@2.0_Mazda
This I think would be awesome. Definitely the route I would go, even better, Diesel with Turbo? Or just Diesel.

@Mazdafreak16
Supercharged, interesting. That would be the first time for Mazda, unless my history fails me.

Me neither, I'm a one-car guy, whatever I get needs to also be a daily driver. Otherwise I'd have a Mazdaspeed Miata or something. :)

Have you never learned, or is there another reason you can't drive a stick?

Well I know how to drive stick but I'm not good at it. I live in Los Angeles, the drivers here tailgate and at lights literally are on the ass sometimes (i'm sure it's like that in other states and cities), but to risk rolling back just slightly while trying to start will probably make me tap the car behind me.

The 2014 Mazda 3 will come standard with hill start assist! No excuses!

Drivers are supposed to be able to see the tires of the car in front of them when they come to a stop. If they're stopped too close, that's their fault.

I can't fathom not wanting to drive stick anymore. Even through the worst of traffic, I prefer stick.

I can't fathom not wanting to drive stick anymore. Even through the worst of traffic, I prefer stick.

I am a life-long manual guy as well, but having now lived in LA for 3 years I will say it is the ONLY place I would consider an auto. There are traffic jams that literally go on for hours at a time, and the bucking of a manual (especially in my Protege) can just get annoying. LA is just a different place to drive (not in a good way, in my opinion).

I've always dreamed of a manumatic that has an actual gear lever you can row instead of flappy paddles behind the steering wheel.

I am a life-long manual guy as well, but having now lived in LA for 3 years I will say it is the ONLY place I would consider an auto. There are traffic jams that literally go on for hours at a time, and the bucking of a manual (especially in my Protege) can just get annoying. LA is just a different place to drive (not in a good way, in my opinion).

I've always dreamed of a manumatic that has an actual gear lever you can row instead of flappy paddles behind the steering wheel.

I love living in LA but good god the traffic is hell. I'm still considering the 3 s Touring along with a couple others, just waiting to test drive now. If a MS3 with an automatic came though I'm all game for it. Surely if they use the 2.5 as the basis, they can tune it to use premium gas up to a 14:1 compression ratio and eek out 230hp or more without a turbo. How much torque will it have is my only question.

Last edited:
I'm so glad other people from LA understand me. Seriously, we are ranked high up there in worst traffic. Unless people have either lived here or stayed long enough to deal with the daily traffic they wouldn't understand how manual. Plus most LA drivers really do suck at driving in traffic, they are literally humping you with their cars lol. Sometimes on slanted streets (not very much of a hill) my auto will even roll back and i gotta slam on the gas cause the car behind me is going forward already instead of waiting for me to take off. No, I will not move either, I've lived in the vicinity my whole life :).

Back