What is dripping onto exhaust pipe?

:
SOLD 2002 Protege5; Current 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring
Hi, all.

Took a 500 mile round trip in the CX-9 this weekend and noticed a burning smell when I stepped out of my car at my destinations.

Looking under the car, I have some fluid that was dripping directly down every minute or so onto the section of exhaust immediately in front of the mesh portion (cat?) attached to the exhaust. Hits the exhaust, smokes, and then evaporates. Leaves a stain on the pipe.

Any idea what is above that would be leaking? It does not appear to be condensate from the A/C.

Thanks,
ZoomFive

What color was it?

Couldn't get close to it enough, but it did not look dark. Then of course, I just changed my oil a few weeks back. What's above there? I'm trying hard not to put my car up on ramps, if someone can tell me, it would save a little effort. Thanks.

Hi.

I put the car on ramps and here are some pics. I'm not quite experienced enough to tell where it is coming from. It also looks like it has spattered all over. I hope some will have some thoughts.

The fluid was a light golden yellow and was about the same color of the oil on my motor oil dipstick. However, I'm not sure of the tranny fluid color and I know my brake fluid is also that same color. It felt slippery and then tacky.

Please take a look and share your thoughts on what might be leaking in the center there. If it is tranny, I may be covered by the dealer, as they did some work last year. Otherwise, it's out of pocket. Thank you.

ZoomFive

Attachments

• IMAG0017.jpg
    IMAG0017.jpg
    742.1 KB · Views: 346
  • IMAG0019.jpg
    IMAG0019.jpg
    735.3 KB · Views: 327
it's probably in the wrong place to be brake fluid. if the brake fluid level is OK, i would rule that out. it's really hard to say based on the pics where it's coming from, typically tranny fluid is pinkish though.

Turns out that it was gear oil according to the dealer leaking from the transfer case. It was replaced. Although there's still a faint smell, I don't see the dripping. We'll see.

Sorry to bring this post back from dead, but I'm having exact same issue from transfer case. What did the dealer charge you?

should be free of charge. It is under the power train warranty which normally runs for 60k but has being extended to 90k

Sorry to bring this post back from dead, but I'm having exact same issue from transfer case. What did the dealer charge you?

Mine was free as it was a defective unit replaced at the end of the powertrain warranty. Some have indicated the powertrain warranty was extended, but I did not receive the letter. Not sure it's for everyone. Perhaps verify with Mazda USA. Good luck.

Back